Best Time of Year to Book A Cruise?

floating on a boat

We had three suites on the Vision of the Seas. Our total price for 11 of us in three suites (an OS and two GS's) was about $8k (November trip). I'd have to look back at the exact numbers, but the OBC was more than enough to pay for the $10 per day per person gratuity, which would actually put the OBC closer to $800 for all three.

When we used the same TA for NCL (Epic in July) they were able to discount the cabin price by several hundred for each of our three rooms. With the change in policy I suspect they'll do the OBC like they did with RCI. I can't post the name of my TA here.

That explains the big OBC etc. As for NCL in July, yes, they were still discounting. The new policy went into affect just this past month. Most TAs have found a way to get around the "no discounting" either OBCs, helping with basic insurance or offering help with tours, something. The amount they are allowed to offer does depend on the cost of the cruise i will add. It can only be a certain % regardless as to how they do it. Now, nothing says they can't send a gift to the client, like a restaurant card or something.

Nita

Not to be a contrarian, but to us the two main advantages for using a TA were 1) they do the leg work with the line for you, and 2) it was a LOT cheaper.

again, except for perks a lot cheaper should not be an issue anymore, but leg work is true. That is what a TA is supposed to do, save the work, do the research, etc. At least a good one does. When I mention the advantage of going direct, let's face it, I am only trying to give the other side of the story. I certainly hope most will use Travel Agents.

Nita

2 ways of doing it.

wait for last minute deals(and they truly are good deals) or book far out in advance (several month).

A large cruise ship TA(cruise ship center) usually can get u the best perks because of the volume of sales. They buy up areas of the cruise at discount and then sell them off to us.

again, except for perks a lot cheaper should not be an issue anymore, but leg work is true. That is what a TA is supposed to do, save the work, do the research, etc. At least a good one does. When I mention the advantage of going direct, let's face it, I am only trying to give the other side of the story. I certainly hope most will use Travel Agents.

Nita

Nita - Why do you say "cheaper" won't be an issue anymore with the new policy? NCL has just implemented a policy like RCI and others have. I was very clear on the fact that booking through my TA saved us a large amount of money with RCI, so the logical conclusion is that the NCL policy will change how the saving is offered, but it can still be significant.

Nita - Why do you say "cheaper" won't be an issue anymore with the new policy? NCL has just implemented a policy like RCI and others have. I was very clear on the fact that booking through my TA saved us a large amount of money with RCI, so the logical conclusion is that the NCL policy will change how the saving is offered, but it can still be significant.

i guess I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to the actually cost of the cruise, not including perks. Yes, I have also mentioned perks can be thrown in. Tech you are right. Again, I was simply talking about the base price plus I am hoping no one thinks if they book through an agent they will always saving money. A lot depends on the cruise price, and the sailing time. I am sorry you misunderstood what I was saying. I am not questioning you on whether you saved or not..

Nita

Also does anyone know if you book a NCL cruise can you then transfer that booking to a TA later, before final payment? :confused:

I've read comments from folks who have done that. (On all different lines) Sounds like it could be a way to have the best of both worlds--control of your booking until final payment so you can snag any price drops that may occur, then pass it off to a TA at the last minute for perks.

sdmike - you are right - it is worth comparing sites. Those perks are still being offered. Not to mention that by signing up with different online TAs you get notified of upcoming sales, etc. Yes, fares went up last spring, and yes, the price of the actual cruise is suppose to be "across the board." But the other perks (onboard credits, insurance, etc.) are real money Nita and it still pays to shop around.

sdmike - you are right - it is worth comparing sites. Those perks are still being offered. Not to mention that by signing up with different online TAs you get notified of upcoming sales, etc. Yes, fares went up last spring, and yes, the price of the actual cruise is suppose to be "across the board." But the other perks (onboard credits, insurance, etc.) are real money Nita and it still pays to shop around.

wow, I don't tnink I said it doesn't pay to shop around. My only point is the base rate will be the same...I totally agree, shop and see what kind of a deal you can get. I would add only one thing to the thread, don't sacarfice service for a few bucks. That being said, we all want the best deal we can get. If I did say, don't shop around just slap me with a wet noodle..

Nita

Not trying to beat you up Nita (wet noodles, yuk!), but some people get afraid to do some shopping around on their own and will pay "sticker" just because they have no confidence in their abilities to get the best deal. Nothing wrong with that on the surface, but with a little education (and that is what I have gotten through these boards) you can do more than you think. I have no problem with middlemen and I have found that online TAs are very receptive to making sure you get the best cruise for you at the best price. A car has a sticker price, and every car in every lot with the same extras has the same sticker, but the only person I ever knew who paid that price was my ex brother in law. I was astounded, I had never personally met anyone who bought a car and just paid the sticker price ....and it was not a Saturn:D

Archived