Just off the Dream-Horrible cigar smell from room next door

cruisin again

Great, another addict/smoker WILLING to compromise on THEIR vacation about THEIR SMOKE and the SMELL everyone else has to endure on all the other balconies around theirs, if only we are nice about it! i.e,; we ask them nicely NOT TO bother, infect or otherwise harm us with their habit, or addiction on OUR vacation too!!! Just for future reference: Please, please, do not light up that cigarette, cigar or anything else on your balconey so when I am on my balconey I don't have to stress about talking to you about your habits. Go down to the cigar bar or up to the pool deck and enjoy your habit THERE!!!!:eek:

I will continue to enjoy an evening cigar while relaxing on my balcony. I seldom smoke them at home and consider them part of my R&R downtime. On a moving ship at sea you are not being harmed other than by your own anxiety; relax, enjoy a cold beverage, and we can even talk about the calming sounds of the sea we are both enjoying.

B

On a moving ship at sea you are not being harmed other than by your own anxietyB

Smokers often do not realize just how strong the smell is because they have an impaired sense of smell because of smoking. Smoke has actually burned out their sense of smell, so the true intensity of the odor does not even register with the smoker.

Cigar smoke is strong enough to make other passengers sick. That is why its so restricted in public places.

Carnival needs to get the point that balconies are public places, where one-smoker can cause nausea for multiple non-smokers.

Dear Carnival? Why do you think it is okay to put a cigar smoker next to a handful of balcony rooms full of non-smokers?

Cigar smoke is so strong, concentrated, and pungent... that it has long been banned in night clubs, bars, and restaurants because it is such a problem.

The wind from the cabin in front of us blew right into the corner of our balcony and trapped the smoke smell in the corner of our balcony and then straight up the ship. Its funny how wind blows into balconies instead of out to sea.

Well said! I am not a smoker but my DW is and so are some of my family and friends who I travel with. I read some of the stuff on these boards and it really blows my mind. People stuffing towels under their doorways because smoke is seeping into their room from the hallway, people being woken up by smoke seeping into their rooms from an adjoining balcony, their vacations ruined because their balcony neighbors light up a cigarette on a moving ship, etc. Oh, and someone actually stating they need to use an inhaler because the smoke is caught and lurking in the crevices of the balcony divider. WOW! Do you's know how ridiculous this all sounds!!! We just got off the Valor a few weeks back. Our neighbors smoked cigarettes and one smoked cigars. We also seemed to have the same balcony habits as them....sat out at in the a.m. and late at night. There was a faint smell of the cigar when the ship was moving. It was more pronounced when the ship was in Port and he was up at the railing. Actual cigarette smoke, cigar smoke coming under the dividers....NEVER! Billowing into our room....NEVER! If anything, because of reading these boards, I had my wife who doesn't smoke in the room stand in the doorway going out to the balcony with the door open with a cigarette. The smoke left the room...not pulled into it. On a moving ship (and even a non-moving ship) the smoke dissipates very quickly and within a few feet. I saw no smoke lurking in the crevices....(LOL)!

Seriously, folks, lighten up, have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff! If smelling a cigarette is going to ruin your vacation, WOW!

I understand where you're coming from but my aunt has asthma and cigarette smoke triggers it. She's had to go to the hospital several times and almost died once. It kind of sucks when your "allergy" isn't something you can't completely control. If you're allergic to peanuts then you just don't eat peanuts. If you're allergic to smoke don't smoke....oh wait no don't be around people that smoke. That's much more complicated.

I'm not saying people shouldn't smoke just pointing out that it can really suck for some people.

Personally i don't mind smoke. I can put up with it but after a while I do get a sore throat from the smell.

Smokers often do not realize just how strong the smell is because they have an impaired sense of smell because of smoking. Smoke has actually burned out their sense of smell, so the true intensity of the odor does not even register with the smoker.

Cigar smoke is strong enough to make other passengers sick. That is why its so restricted in public places.

Carnival needs to get the point that balconies are public places, where one-smoker can cause nausea for multiple non-smokers.

Dear Carnival? Why do you think it is okay to put a cigar smoker next to a handful of balcony rooms full of non-smokers?

Cigar smoke is so strong, concentrated, and pungent... that it has long been banned in night clubs, bars, and restaurants because it is such a problem.

The wind from the cabin in front of us blew right into the corner of our balcony and trapped the smoke smell in the corner of our balcony and then straight up the ship. Its funny how wind blows into balconies instead of out to sea.

I don't mind cigar smoke. :D

I don't mind cigar smoke. :D

Dude you are a cool guy... and I've always enjoyed reading your post. :D

I wish we weren't on opposite sides of this debate, but I have the greatest respect for you and anyone else who wants to smoke. I just like to debate right back at those smokers who brush it off as.... "relax, don't worry about it". I like to give them the counter point of view, because if you like the smell of smoke, you probably can't imagine how strong it can be to folks who don't like it.

My favorite story on the subject was on a cruise out of Tampa - The night before the cruise.... I was in a world famous strip club (my younger days, and something Tampa is famous for) ... anyway a guy fired up a cigar and had 20 dancers yelling at him (it was making them sick on stage as they were trying to dance). It was just one of those funny pictures that stuck in my head, to watch 20 dancers chase one lucky "cigar guy" out of the club :D

Well said! I am not a smoker but my DW is and so are some of my family and friends who I travel with. I read some of the stuff on these boards and it really blows my mind. People stuffing towels under their doorways because smoke is seeping into their room from the hallway, people being woken up by smoke seeping into their rooms from an adjoining balcony, their vacations ruined because their balcony neighbors light up a cigarette on a moving ship, etc. Oh, and someone actually stating they need to use an inhaler because the smoke is caught and lurking in the crevices of the balcony divider. WOW! Do you's know how ridiculous this all sounds!!!

Just because you are not sensitive to smoke absolutely does not mean that others couldn't possibly be very sensitive to it.:rolleyes:

That said, it's not against the rules; smokers are not doing anything wrong by smoking on their balcony. I think the best thing people who object to this policy can do is contact Carnival and make their preferences known. Giving passengers who are doing nothing wrong a hard time is not the right tactic, imo.

Just because you are not sensitive to smoke absolutely does not mean that others couldn't possibly be very sensitive to it.:rolleyes:

That said, it's not against the rules; smokers are not doing anything wrong by smoking on their balcony. I think the best thing people who object to this policy can do is contact Carnival and make their preferences known. Giving passengers who are doing nothing wrong a hard time is not the right tactic, imo.

Or if someone is that "sensitive", they can book a Spa Room. You are absolutely right. It is wrong to give people a hard time when they are doing nothing wrong. Smokers should contact Carnival and let their opinion known as well. Non-smokers who travel with smokers or non-smokers who don't let smoking bother them should also let their feelings known. Who knows, maybe they have and that's why Spa cabins exist for those who are "sensitive" and maybe that's why there still are a couple of indoor venues for smoking.

For all you non-smokers, why aren't you contacting Carnival and complaining to them? All you seem to do is complain here. That's going to get you nowhere. You need to go to the big man and complain. My guess is most of you probably had, and yet, nothing has changed. Smoking is still allowed on balconies and staterooms and seems it will always be. So you come here to vent your fustrations out on us who do smoke on our balconies. Well, unfortunately for you Carnival allows us to :). Nuff said.

All you seem to do is complain here. That's going to get you nowhere. .

This is a grass roots campaign, the more the subject comes up, the more folks talk about it, the sooner you'll see changes in the smoking rules... which at the moment need a little fine tuning.

Lots of folks read this post, and it helps them be more prepared when they run into the balcony smoking problem. It also lets non-smokers know that its okay to speak-up and they are not the only one suffering from smoking drifting onto their balcony.

For smokers it allows them to put in their opinion also. BUT THE KEY POINT IS, THE MORE WE TALK ABOUT IT, THE MORE LIKELY WE WILL SEE CHANGE.

Carnival does read these, and they conduct studies to see what people are thinking about their current smoking policy. And they are experimenting a little with the Spa balcony. If that is successful they will expand that program to more parts of the ship.

When change comes it comes fast. I still remember when they stopped smoking on planes. I couldn't believe it, but now its just the norm.

Smokers often do not realize just how strong the smell is because they have an impaired sense of smell because of smoking. Smoke has actually burned out their sense of smell, so the true intensity of the odor does not even register with the smoker. Have you been a smoker in the past? How else could you come up with this. I smoke 2 or 3 cigars a day, the smell in my opinion is great.

Carnival needs to get the point that balconies are public places, where one-smoker can cause nausea for multiple non-smokers. Best thing to do here is book another cruise line. Carnival allows smoking on balconies. Everyone knows this before booking.

Here is a funny thing that happened to us last November on the Conquest. Neighbors were a pain in the a$$, gripe complain cough you name it, they did it. Last sea day security knocked on our door, asked me to put out cigar and light up a cigarette. He said your neighbors hate smoke! Told him no thanks, I do not smoke cigarettes.

BUT THE KEY POINT IS, THE MORE WE TALK ABOUT IT, THE MORE LIKELY WE WILL SEE CHANGE.

I'm very happy with things the way they are, and I don't see why Carnival would even think about changing it more.

I remember people saying that HAL had surveys and was going to ban smoking in cabins after they were done. The first year the surveys were definitely worded to favor banning smoking. The next year HAL had a new survey which focused more on the smokers reaction (such as "if you couldn't smoke in your cabin, would you still cruise with us"). The difference in the surveys seemed to be that they realized they were going to lose smokers if they got too restrictive.

I remember people saying that HAL had surveys and was going to ban smoking in cabins after they were done. .

I just find it to be an interesting topic. Smoking has been addressed by the airlines, resorts, restaurant and all other parts of the tourist industry... but the cruise ships seem to be behind the times when it comes to the last issues- enjoyment of a balcony cabin by two groups that don't mix.

The problem is, 80% of the non-smoking public have grown a-costume to the changes in the tourist industry, and are stumped when they get stuck for 7 days on a ship where you can't just change rooms (like any other resort) next to someone who views his balcony as an escape from the smoking rules on the rest of the ship.

For all you non-smokers, why aren't you contacting Carnival and complaining to them? All you seem to do is complain here. That's going to get you nowhere. You need to go to the big man and complain. My guess is most of you probably had, and yet, nothing has changed. Smoking is still allowed on balconies and staterooms and seems it will always be. So you come here to vent your fustrations out on us who do smoke on our balconies. Well, unfortunately for you Carnival allows us to :). Nuff said.

Makes you wonder if Carnival likes the brand of being the "Smoking" cruise line. Many other lines have much greater restrictions on it.

I guess it is too bad the life span of Carnival guests is lower than other cruise lines. =)

I just find it to be an interesting topic. Smoking has been addressed by the airlines, resorts, restaurant and all other parts of the tourist industry... but the cruise ships seem to be behind the times when it comes to the last issues- enjoyment of a balcony cabin by two groups that don't mix.

The problem is, 80% of the non-smoking public have grown a-costume to the changes in the tourist industry, and are stumped when they get stuck for 7 days on a ship where you can't just change rooms (like any other resort) next to someone who views his balcony as an escape from the smoking rules on the rest of the ship.

If it is that much of a priority I would think the cruisers would do their research and act accordingly. I have not experienced it being a problem for either side in my cruises. But, if I really did not like smoke it seems like I would look into other cruise lines as an option.

Perfect post.

This is valid....

I'm very used to clean air so when on a ship, it does seem worse...

that being said, I understand that some people still smoke so if I run into it, I relocate myself.

I've never smelled it in my cabin. I have to admit that it would bother me a LOT if I did. I will walk away from it in any other space on the ship, without making a fuss...but if the odor were coming into my cabin...cigarette or cigar, that would be something I'd have to speak up about.

The public spaces on that ship are public. The cabin is mine for the amount of time I paid to be in it.

The cruise ships are addressing it. I don't know how long you've cruised but I started cruising when smoking was everywhere but the MDR and main show Lounge. Then it went to 1/2 the ship indoors, Port or Starboard, etc. An airplane is truly an enclosed small space, depending on the resort smoking is still aloud in rooms, etc. and those that are smoke-free indoors have smoking areas (or no restriction) outdoors , restaurants are being dictated by their State or Local Government (not the decision of the restaurants in those cases) dictated by either Corporate if a Chain or by Independents based on the size of their restaurant. Cruise Lines are far from behind! They have restricted the areas. The problem is the anti-smokers do not want to compromise. They want it their way which is to ban it altogether. It started with the Atrium, Promenade, etc. Then went to more restricted lounges which isn't good enough for the anti-smokers because they want ALL the lounges smoke-free (including the Cigar bar) and now the balconies. A cruise ship also can't be compared to other venues in the tourist industry...it's a whole different type of venue.

People shouldn't be stumped when booking a cruise because they have options and those that are truly anti-smoking I'm sure are the folks that are checking on the smoking policies on that ship because it bothers them so much. The option the anti-smoker has now when sailing CCL is the Spa Balcony room or a Window room where they don't have to worry about it. 80% of non-smokers are not opposed to smoking. Many non-smokers travel with smokers, are married to smokers, etc. If Cruise Lines banned it altogether they will lose not only the smokers but their travelling companions...that adds up to a lot more than 20% of the population of smokers.

Makes you wonder if Carnival likes the brand of being the "Smoking" cruise line. Many other lines have much greater restrictions on it.

I guess it is too bad the life span of Carnival guests is lower than other cruise lines. =)

Smokers give Carnival lots of business. Who would make it up?

I would absolutely love for you to post the link that shows Carnival guests die sooner than cruisers on other lines - what study came up with this. It is the same for people who quote figures and percentages but cannot give supporting documentation. I am a smoker and I will ALWAYS ask if the person near me minds if I smoke - be it the casino, Lido (where allowed) or my balcony and people are out on theirs. I am not a heavy smoker so not to smoke if it bothers someone is no big deal to me. I do not smoke in my house, my camp, my car if someone else is in it with me, I am fortunate that I am not that addicted but can certainly understand when some one is though.

Mark, while I agree with you on the logic of smoking and non smoking areas of cabins, I have to ask you - what rule am I breaking by having a cigarette on my balcony?? I enjoy my balcony as a place to have a coffee, read, have a glass of wine, late night drink etc and yes have a cigarette but to the best of my knowledge, that is not breaking any rules.

Mark, while I agree with you on the logic of smoking and non smoking areas of cabins, I have to ask you - what rule am I breaking by having a cigarette on my balcony?? I enjoy my balcony as a place to have a coffee, read, have a glass of wine, late night drink etc and yes have a cigarette but to the best of my knowledge, that is not breaking any rules.

Agreed Steve. No rules were broken.

Umm....many of us want the rules changed

while I don't push for totally NON smoking, it wouldn't bother me a bit

but I do want to see MORE restrictions

I had to laugh...first cruise I went on, they had smoking or non in the dining room/buffet....you could shoot at skeets off the deck...the matre d' flamed up tableside delights..and the waiters danced with lit baked alaskas, some held them on their heads....eeek

times change

every year, every new ship the places for smoking thankfully become less

now let's just hope all the major cruiselines keep it up and make the ships MOSTLY non smoking with a few areas for the addicted smokers to indulge in

.and e cigs might help too...Carnival could sell them and do "seminars" on them

I would rather "vapor' than smoke

I had to laugh...first cruise I went on, they had smoking or non in the dining room/buffet....you could shoot at skeets off the deck...the matre d' flamed up tableside delights..and the waiters danced with lit baked alaskas, some held them on their heads....eeek

times change

now let's just hope all the major cruiselines keep it up and make the ships MOSTLY non smoking with a few areas for the addicted smokers to indulge in

I've heard that before somewhere :rolleyes:

times change

I've heard that before somewhere :rolleyes:

What if they banned your discos and piano bars? How would you feel then?

Archived