different name on passport - okay to board??

ViolaSwamp

Hello,

We are due to set sail in just over two weeks - yeah!! Have one question I need clarification on, however.

My sister got her passport in early 2008 (under her maiden name of "Sally Smith"). At the end of 2008, she got married and has since gone by her married name of "Sally Jones". Her passport is under the name of Sally Smith whereas her driver's license is Sally Jones.

We booked the cruise with her married name, Sally Jones. Got nervous about this variance from her passport name, so we called Carnival. They said as long as she has her driver's license, marriage certificate AND passport, everything will be fine.

I want assurance from you all, who may have had this same issue, that this is indeed the case, that my sister will not be SOL.

Oh, another tidbit is that she is Military and will have that ID with her as well if that helps.

Will she have any problems with her passport being in her married name?

Thank you!!

I have done it, on Carnival, and it worked fine. Passport in maiden name, drivers license in married name. Had copy of marriage license. Nobody even batted an eye or acted like it was out of the ordinary.

ETA - booking was in married name.

When DD was married in August of 2004, one of my gifts to her was a check to update her Passport into her married name, which she did just a couple of weeks after returning from the Honeymoon (which was booked under her maiden name) When my two grandkids were born (2007, and 2009), my "baby gift" was a check for each of them to get a Passport, which they now both have. Newborn onesies will last for a couple of months, but a US Passport is good for five years until a citizen reaches the age of 16, and then it's good for 10 years. IMO, it's only a matter of time until cruise lines will require a Passport. And it will be about time!

Ummm, maybe this is too simple to work....but have you thought about just changing the name on the reservation to match her passport? The airfare isn't an issue, have her use her DL to board the plane and then the passport to board the ship:confused: I think that would be much easier than having to lug all the other paperwork with her and a bit more foolproof (subjective personnel @ the dock, if you know what I mean;)) in my mind. Good luck whichever way you go - enjoy your trip:D

When DD was married in August of 2004, one of my gifts to her was a check to update her Passport into her married name, which she did just a couple of weeks after returning from the Honeymoon (which was booked under her maiden name) When my two grandkids were born (2007, and 2009), my "baby gift" was a check for each of them to get a Passport, which they now both have. Newborn onesies will last for a couple of months, but a US Passport is good for five years until a citizen reaches the age of 16, and then it's good for 10 years. IMO, it's only a matter of time until cruise lines will require a Passport. And it will be about time!

As soon as our grandson's BC was available (4 weeks after the birth) our DD took it and a picture of our grandson straight to the post office and got his first passport. We will be using that passport for the first time next week on his very first cruise.

Laura

As soon as our grandson's BC was available (4 weeks after the birth) our DD took it and a picture of our grandson straight to the post office and got his first passport. We will be using that passport for the first time next week on his very first cruise.

Laura

Good for you! A Grandma after my own heart! Hope that ALL of you have a great cruise!!

In Canada, you can just go to the passport office with you marriage certificate and they add a page right there with your maiden name, it just takes a minute, I'm not sure if it's the same in the US. I know I used to have problems all the time with my old passport that was in my maiden but with the added page of my married name, the people at the airport used to start yapping until I showed them the page that had my married name, the page with my photo was my maiden name but then the next page had something special with my married name on it.

In Canada, you can just go to the passport office with you marriage certificate and they add a page right there with your maiden name, it just takes a minute, I'm not sure if it's the same in the US. I know I used to have problems all the time with my old passport that was in my maiden but with the added page of my married name, the people at the airport used to start yapping until I showed them the page that had my married name, the page with my photo was my maiden name but then the next page had something special with my married name on it.

Not sure if they will do that here if you live in a city with a passport office, but most of us don't. Closest one I know of to where I live is 10 hours away.

Archived