Major security breach!!

Northerncheapo

I want to thank those posters that mentioned that SS had a new website which resulted in me taking a look and thus discovering a huge security breach.

I logged onto "My Vogage" and put my name and confirmation number. The next screen says to update/check the Guest Information Form. I had done this a few months ago, but thought, "what the heck, I'll check again".

This page contains your passport number, place of issue, emergency contacts, email addy's, occupation, etc... Imagine my surprise to be looking at this very personal information of ANOTHER PASSENGER!

I quickly logged off and tried again,and sure enough, I am accessing some poor woman's profile from the UK. I logged off again and logged on under my husband's name and I find personal information of yet ANOTHER PASSENGER and their guest.

I simply cannot believe this. WHO IS LOOKING AT MY INFORMATION OUT THERE??? I emailed SS immediately and called my TA. A low level SS reprensentative called me back, Tom, who really could not grasp the gravity of this security issue. He had no idea what to do, who to call, or understand why I placed such a high urgency in having this corrected. He was to call me back within 15 minutes to give me an update of what he was doing about it, and that was an hour ago with no call back. I called my TA back who is presently searching for some number for me to call.

So, I suggest that you all take a look at YOUR Guest Info Form and be sure that YOUR info isn't floating out there in cyber space for god-knows-who to see.

With that said, anyone have a fast track number to a decision maker at SS that I can call?

Just to be on the safe side, I had them remove all my account information until they get the problem resolved. Robin, one of the reservation managers, took care of it for me. She will re-enter the info once the problem is sorted out. Lots of apologies and understands the gravity of the situation.

I am pleased to report that the personal information is NOT accessed by anyone anymore! SS still has to correct the problem, but at least they took down the option to access the Guest Form so nobody will see anyone elses personal information.

I have NOTHING but HIGH praise for Mr. Tucker and his team for how quickly and seriously they took care of this issue. Job well done, SS! I received several phone calls, appologies and reassurance that they were working hard on this problem and they certainly were true to their word. It is an unfortunate situation that can happen to the best of company's and I would never hold it against them. For me, it's all about how quickly and professionally they respond. And they certainly raised to the occassion!

Again, thank you, Mr. Tucker for your diligence in resolving this issue...now go home and enjoy your family time. :D

Anita

Our TA contacted her SS rep in FLL regarding this thread and she was going to pass it to Steve Tucker for action. If it were me running the show I'd shut the entire website down until these problems were corrected by the contractor.

Dougburns, perhaps you didn't see my post directly above yours? Mr. Tucker was informed and he did shut down the affected part of the site...it's all good!

I regret even posting this event. I fear that his time is going to be taken away from dealing with the problem at hand because of all the phone calls he'll be getting.

I'm gratified to hear about Northerncheapo's experience in reporting and later being advised by Silversea that the problem had been corrected.

I think the true colours of a company can often be measured by whether they can rise to the occasion when faced with adversity such as what this situation presented. Timely response and followup are admirable in my opinion. I'm impressed!

Rob

Awww, Charlie, you're making me blush! :o

I was only too happy to jump all over this one and was quite surprised that I was the first one to bring it to SS attention. But, like I said, Mr. Tucker was quick to respond and personally took the time to call me SEVERAL times to let me know what was going on. I have nothing but good things to say about how this whole thing was handled.

I can't wait to sail on Saturday on the Spirit! Happy travels everyone!

I think we should all applaud Northerncheapo's immediate responsive action when he discovered this anomaly. Normally people will just ignore it, but this cruiser did the right thing and should be congratulated for doing so.

Yes; Thanks, Northerncheapo, for your timely and effective response. I'm sure you averted some security disasters.

Dear friends:

Here in the EU, the data protection and privacy laws are very strong and complex.

Silversea could be fined up to 600,000 euros by each EU country that may have received a complaint from a customer whose personal information was compromised during this incident.

In my opinion, Silversea has never had the safest website as far as protecting personal data is concerned.

I cite the "Find your Venetian Society Number" function on the old website. It could have been very easy to find someone's personal information just by knowing that person's name and city of residence or date of birth.

On a related matter, and I do know that Silversea has received complaints about this from several EU passengers, it can also be considered to be a breach of EU data protection laws and, in general, of people's privacy, when Silversea publishes and distributes the passenger list (name of passenger and city and country where the passenger is from) near the end of each voyage. Under EU law, Silversea should obtain passenger's written consent before doing this. Even from a non-legal analysis, people are entitled to their privacy and it really is nobody's business who other passengers are and where they live.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Message from Silversea Cruises:

Data protection and identity security of our guests is of utmost importance to Silversea. Regrettably, there was a technical glitch with our newly redesigned website, and as soon as the issue was brought to our attention we immediately shut down the affected section of the website.

We are extremely sorry that this error occurred and extend our most sincere apologies. We are working to correct the problem to ensure that it does not recur.

Our new website was designed to be more intuitive and user-friendly for our guests. From the feedback we have received so far, (including other thread posts on Cruise Critic) users are extremely pleased with the site and its innovative new features.

Thank You.

Steve Tucker

Silversea Cruises

Vice President Field Sales

The Americas

Message from Silversea Cruises:

Data protection and identity security of our guests is of utmost importance to Silversea. Regrettably, there was a technical glitch with our newly redesigned website, and as soon as the issue was brought to our attention we immediately shut down the affected section of the website.

We are extremely sorry that this error occurred and extend our most sincere apologies. We are working to correct the problem to ensure that it does not recur.

Our new website was designed to be more intuitive and user-friendly for our guests. From the feedback we have received so far, (including other thread posts on Cruise Critic) users are extremely pleased with the site and its innovative new features.

Thank You.

Steve Tucker

Silversea Cruises

Vice President Field Sales

The Americas

Thank you Steve for updating us on the website situation. The site looks great BTW!

Host Dan

Archived