"Cultural" Excursions

sbaas95

Hi All!

I've been a lurker here on the boards for the last few days...my first post! My fiancee and I just booked our honeymoon cruise for next July (Carnival Legend), and one of the stops is Roatan. I'm looking for a great excursion, one that has a lot of cultural elements to it, seeing as I'm a Spanish teacher and looking forward to visiting Honduras, a country I've never been to (although it is only for a few hours, and a port at that).

Any suggestions out there? I found the GARIFUNA, MANGROVE TUNNEL & IGUANA FARM ISLAND TOUR through Island Marketing. Has anyone done this one? I'm looking for a little more than snorkeling, or beaching...something unique to Roatan.

Thanks for your help!

I found Roatan (and the whole island) to be much closer to a tourist destination than a true look at how people in Honduras live. Just my opinion though.

Obviously you did not visit the "whole island" As there are many typical Honduran areas.

True I didn't visit the "whole island" but I did drive by the Wendy's, Subway and Applebees. :p

and these are not an indication of the island of Roatan. Yes, it is getting more commercialized as more ships visit as are any of the islands that cruisers cruise too. However, there are still many, many areas that aren't commercialized and worth it for visitors to see.

True I didn't visit the "whole island" but I did drive by the Wendy's, Subway and Applebees. :p

Then how can you post such nonsense?

I found Roatan (and the whole island) to be much closer to a tourist destination than a true look at how people in Honduras live. Just my opinion though.

I agree with the previous poster that Victor Bodden's company is the way to go. Basically you just tell the driver what you're looking for and he will be able to find something. We've used Victor's company several times and it's very laid back(yet professional). You don't have to have a plan. Just tell the driver to "show you the authentic Roatan" and i'm sure he will take care of you.

FYI.... the previously mentioned "Iguana Tour" is nothing more than someone's house(with a bunch of Iguanas). I'm not saying that it's not neat, but it's a 20 minute stop at best. I wouldnt base your whole trip around it.

Also... ask the driver to take you to West End and drop you off for an hour or so so you can walk around and explore. It's full of neat shops and there are all kinds of things to do. It's pretty rustic(which is the allure to me). It's not over commercialized.

I agree with doing a Victor Bodden tour. You will be able to go see Victor's monkeys, an experience you will not soon forget. You can get right in the cages with them, and they are curious and adorable little things. I also agree that the iguana tour is not something to base a whole day around, but we did stop there. It is expensive for what it is ($8/pp) and quite smelly, but we got to see iguanas which we had wanted to do. The Cameo Factory is a nice stop because you will probably never get to see such a thing again. Read up on this forum for more opinions and information on all of these things and more.

Hi All!

I've been a lurker here on the boards for the last few days...my first post! My fiancee and I just booked our honeymoon cruise for next July (Carnival Legend), and one of the stops is Roatan. I'm looking for a great excursion, one that has a lot of cultural elements to it, seeing as I'm a Spanish teacher and looking forward to visiting Honduras, a country I've never been to (although it is only for a few hours, and a port at that).

Any suggestions out there? I found the GARIFUNA, MANGROVE TUNNEL & IGUANA FARM ISLAND TOUR through Island Marketing. Has anyone done this one? I'm looking for a little more than snorkeling, or beaching...something unique to Roatan.

Thanks for your help!

We did several years ago, it was great, you get to feed them and pet them, we want to go back, and no they do not sell them as food, it is a rescue.

no they do not sell them as food, it is a rescue.

The odd thing is they are legally protected but with the lack of funding for enforcement there are places on cruise tours that do srve iguana that are quite popular, meaning lots of uguana but also lots of tourist dollars

Archived