Cab to Altun Ha?

pajammies

So when we get off the ship can we just wing it.

I know having a plan (pre-booking) is good but wondering if we can save money by just getting off the ship, catching a cab, and paying whatever the entrance fee is to Altun Ha, then catching a cab back.

I don't really think we want to see anything else in Belize and being in port from 8-5 I wouldn't be worried about getting back to the ship in time. We should have hours to spare.

Anyone ever done this that could tell me prices on cab fare and entrance fee?

Thank you!

I haven't ever taken a cab...the three times I've been there we have booked a private excursion and I have been to Altun Ha twice. I have to imagine a cab would be VERY expensive. It is about a 45 minute ride from the port to the ruins and back again. The entrance fees were included in our tour so I'm not sure how much they are.

We booked through a place called Smuggler's Run Plantation. They picked us up at the port, fed us a homemade lunch at their plantation and then took us to the ruins and back to the port. I've been there three times and booked through them every time!

Yes you can wing it! We had a ship tour planned that was cancelled just hours before we got off the ship and we winged it just fine. When you get off the tender there are a ton of tour operators offering tours. We found one and negotiated a private tour to Altun Ha. The key is to get on one of the first tenders so you can get to the ruins before tons of people are climbing all the ruins. We basically found our tour operator, negotiated the price for a tour for just the 3 of us and headed out. Our tour guide was AMAZING! He grew up in Belize and had so much to tell us. We learned tons! He walked us around the ruins and explained many things we would have never known had he not been there. He also took many pictures of us while we toured the ruins. He took us for a walk in the rainforest and told us about the trees, plants and animals. It was such a great tour! If you want the name of the tour company let me know, I can dig out the information for you. If not, you will have no problem finding a ride to the ruins. :D

Yes you can wing it! We had a ship tour planned that was cancelled just hours before we got off the ship and we winged it just fine. When you get off the tender there are a ton of tour operators offering tours. We found one and negotiated a private tour to Altun Ha. The key is to get on one of the first tenders so you can get to the ruins before tons of people are climbing all the ruins. We basically found our tour operator, negotiated the price for a tour for just the 3 of us and headed out. Our tour guide was AMAZING! He grew up in Belize and had so much to tell us. We learned tons! He walked us around the ruins and explained many things we would have never known had he not been there. He also took many pictures of us while we toured the ruins. He took us for a walk in the rainforest and told us about the trees, plants and animals. It was such a great tour! If you want the name of the tour company let me know, I can dig out the information for you. If not, you will have no problem finding a ride to the ruins. :D

Actually that would be great if you could find the info for me. It's nice to use somebody that others have used before.

Do you remember the price for the 3 of you?

Is the rain forest close to Altun Ha?

Thanks for the info!

Is the rain forest close to Altun Ha?

Thanks for the info!

It's smack dab in the middle of a rainforest. You won't need a whip or a machete since the land is cleared but there is plenty of forest around and it rains all the time.

Hi there,

We were on the Carnival Dream last week and booked a private tour of Belize through ncqadventuretours.com with Ignacio (Nacho) and Cynthia Quan. They were WONDERFUL people. It felt like we were visiting with long lost relatives. They took us to Altun Ha and walked us around the ruins then we went to the Baboon Sanctuary and fed Howler monkeys out of our hands. It was AMAZING! And I couldn't ask for better people to spend the day with. We booked with him at the last minute and he even cancelled a doctor's appt to take us. I highly recommend them!

I seriously doubt you could take a cab to Altun Ha. It's far away and there is very little traffic out there so the cab would have to wait for you anyway. Do a tour...it's worth it.

Sorry it took me a while, we had a death in the family. I did find the information for you :D.

We found Manny at the pier. After we told him we wanted a private tour with no one else he gave us the price of $175 total (we are a family of 3). We spent about three hours there. With it being just us and Manny we could take as much time as we wanted. The personal tour he gave us was great and going at our own pace was wonderful. Here's his info if you decide to go with him.

Emmanuel Williams - Belize Cruiseship Taxi Association

Cell: (501) 601-9261

Email: emmanuelbcta@yahoo.com

• 6 years later...
It's smack dab in the middle of a rainforest. You won't need a whip or a machete since the land is cleared but there is plenty of forest around and it rains all the time.

Could I get the information to this tour guide as well? My mate and I are going and we thought to rent a vehicle but are wondering if that would be too much pressure...we'll also be renting a jeep the following day to explore Cozumel. We wouldn't be at Altun Ha for more than an hour or so...is the plan.

Would love to hear from you!