Flying with matches or lighters

pedirn

DH told me that on last nights news they stated that that starting in March you would not be allowed to travel with lighters or matches on your person, carryon or even checked luggage. Now I did not see this and can't rule out another stop smoking campaign on the home front. Did anyone else hear about this? Thinking of next upcomming flight....we have a 2 1/2 hour layover in DFW. Anyone who has flown out of there knows you must exit building for smoke and re-enter through security. Now I don't have a problem with that but how would I light my cig if I can't fly with matches or lighter. To be honest the whole thing seems a little ridiculous to me. If you have heard about this....do you think they will enforce it or will it be like the proof req on liquer and flying (not enforced)?

Chris

• 1 month later...

"You can relax for the moment."

Actually, you can't. This latest farce, brought to you by Senator Byron Dorgan of North Dakota in the name of "Homeland Security", will be shoved down our throats on April 14.

Senator Dorgan has a long history of sponsoring anti-smoking legislation, and he saw his chance to insert this little gem into the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. This does nothing to improve security - it is strictly to harass law-abiding citizens engaging in a legal activity.

The only possible way to enforce this is for EVERY passenger to be searched and EVERY piece of carry-on luggage to be dumped and examined. Are you ready for four-hour long security lines? You'd better be.

Email or call your Senators and demand that this ban be rescinded. It's ridiculous and does nothing to improve airline security.

Ron & Suzie may I ask where you got that info. Thanks

From the TSA web site www.tsa.gov

Lighters will be treated as any other prohibited item and passengers will need to surrender them to the TSA or leave them in their vehicle or with someone who is not traveling. TSA is providing this 45-day grace period to allow travelers to adjust to the new policy. You will not be asked to surrender lighters at the checkpoint until April 14, although screeners may remind travelers about the upcoming change during the screening process.

As in the past, lighters are still considered hazardous materials and thus are not allowed in checked baggage. Passengers are strongly encouraged to leave these items at home. While passengers may be able to ship lighters home using a private shipping company, there is usually a substantial fee.

Torch lighters have already been banned from secure areas of airports. TSA put ALL lighters on the Prohibited Items List to reduce a security vulnerability and ease the operational challenge of distinguishing between types of lighters. TSA does not expect the expanded measure to impact wait times at security checkpoints.

TSA is partnering with airport operators to provide them latitude to identify potential ignition sources for smokers in the secure areas of airports. Passengers are allowed to bring up to four books of matches beyond the checkpoint.

Archived