Genoa what to do?

Suzi4

Hi everyone,

I booked our cruise a week ago and I head for Europe on the 5th of October, so I'm little stressed out because MOST of the time I am a huge planner and this trip would be something I would plan for like a year! :eek:

My question.....

We have not been to Genoa Italy, I would like to do it on our own but not sure how or what is to be seen. Any tips or tricks I need to know? Any not to be missed spots?

Any advice anyone could give me? Please :)

Thanks so much

suzi4

Hi everyone,

I booked our cruise a week ago and I head for Europe on the 5th of October, so I'm little stressed out because MOST of the time I am a huge planner and this trip would be something I would plan for like a year! :eek:

My question.....

We have not been to Genoa Italy, I would like to do it on our own but not sure how or what is to be seen. Any tips or tricks I need to know? Any not to be missed spots?

Any advice anyone could give me? Please :)

Thanks so much

suzi4

Check here:

http://www.turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php?article525

We went already twice from Genoa to go on a cruise but never had a chance to see anything from Genoa...

Regards

HeinBloed

suzi4, we enjoyed our visit to Genoa.

Some people who arrive to Genoa go over to other nearb towns such as Portofino and Santa Margarita. These are very beautiful and charming small towns. Since we have visited these towns before we enjoyed Genoa.

The harbor area is truly amazing as there are several harbors with so many different size vessels from cruise ship, to ferry’s, to small ships, to fishing boarts.

We find that this city is very nice to just walk around on our own. Unlike many of the larger cities in Italy, it is easy what I call very orderly. It is easy to cross streets, there are many traffic lights and the motorists actually give the right-of-way to those of us on foot.

We found that this was a nice city to just do and see what we please and to take a break if you will from the hectic pace that sometimes accompanies touring in the Mediterranean so we kept it unstructured and that worked out great.

We began our walk at the city square.

We walked along one of the main streets and visited a enormous food market where the locals go to shop for a wide range of food items. The market had several different areas of beautiful looking produce from fruits to vegetables. There were several meat markets and other markets selling fresh fish and other seafood. Then there were several areas within the market with pastries and breads. And, let’s not forget the cheese. We saw and smelled the most delectable looking cheese. Oh, how we wish we had a market like this at near our home. It’s the kind of place that one might shop every couple of days to purchase very fresh food items.

We continued our walk and at one point walked down a side street that took us onto small streets that reminded us of being in Venice.

We then walked towards the aquarium and spent time there.

During our time in Genoa we also visited the inside of the home that Christopher Columbus lived in from the age of four (4) until he turned twenty-seven. The house contained the bell from the Santa Maria. We then walked around some adjacent areas.

I am sure you will get some information from the Genoa visitors site that HeinBloed provided. We just found it was nice to just walk wherever we wanted and to enjoy a rather pleasant and unstructured day to take a break from all of the other touring we did.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned,from near by where the ship docks there is ahop on hop off bus that does a city tour for 10 euros, but it didn't stop , so it was a hop on get off at the end bus.

BUT, it was a great tour of the city seeing all the sights mentioned in the earlier post. You can then take a walk down the promenade to the Aquarium. There are some nice things to see including an enormous Pirate ship from Roman Polanski's Pirates.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ww1.zenazone.it/archives/images/structures/ec14d392a48a5143f6a959946974939c31.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ww1.zenazone.it/monumenti_e_musei/il_galeone_neptune.html&usg=__DAbL6FYRuoD6C4Rdqykfx2R0qvs=&h=480&w=640&sz=59&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=GpYduyKApbeBGM:&tbnh=152&tbnw=203&prev=/images%3Fq%3DIl%2BGaleone%2BNeptune%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1362%26bih%3D602%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=368&ei=jImnTPC2Cpm8jAfT4IzSDA&oei=dYmnTOLFH8HqOay0ufQM&esq=9&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=114&ty=59

Genoa is our first stop for our cruise in February...like you I turn into a crazy person when I'm planning. Here are some of the things I have taken notes down for visiting, I hope they help! And if you see any, you'll have to let me know if they are worth visiting or skipping!!

» Palazzo Ducale

o One of the city’s most admired symbols

» Cattedrale di San Lorenzo

» Palazzo Reale

o Cost: EUR 4, EUR 6 including Galleria ****onale

§ Open Tues-Wed 9-1:30pm, Thurs – Sun 9-7

o http://www.palazzorealegenova.it/palazzo/palazzo.html

» Staglieno Cemetery

o One of the most famous of Genovese landmarks is this bizarrely beautiful cemetery; its fanciful marble and bronze sculptures sprawl haphazardly across a hillside on the outskirts of town. A pantheon holds indoor tombs and some remarkable works like an 1878 Eve by Villa. Don't miss Rovelli's 1896 Tomba Raggio, which shoots Gothic spires out of the hillside forest. The cemetery began operation in 1851 and has been lauded by such visitors as Mark Twain and Evelyn Waugh. It covers a good deal of ground; allow at least half a day to explore. It's difficult to locate; reach it via Bus 480 or 482 from the Stazione Genova Brignole, Bus 34 from Stazione Principe, or a taxi.

o Cost: Free

§ Open Daily 7:30 – 5pm, entrance closes at 4:30pm

» Via Garibaldi

o Scenic/history walking area

o Many lavish homes on this street

o

» Piazza Di Ferrari

» Palazzo San Giorgio

And there is a replica of a pirate ship, and I can't find any of my notes for that, in the harbor. They used it on a movie and now it just sits in the harbor.

Archived