Passenger Search in Jamaica

Vippie

I know when you re-board a Princess ship from any port visited, they check to see if you are carrying purchased liquor, and run any carry-ons through X-ray. Are there any extraordinary search procedures when reboarding after visiting a Jamaican port? Dogs, pat-downs, etc.

A friend was wondering, not me!

Vippie just what is your friend planning on trying to sneak back on board? Jamaica is notorious for controlled substances/drugs and if Princess finds it, trust me, they will do far more than just confiscate them. Suggest your friend thinks twice.

We have seen the dogs boarding before they let anything or anyone off the ship once back in the US. We have also seen them taking passengers and crew off in handcuffs. This happened on the Disney ship and with Princess. Do not do it.

In Montego Bay, all passengers and any bags they were carrying were searched by local police in the terminal building before being allowed onto the pier area to re-embark the ship. Some still managed to get local produce on board. Their trip ended in Grand Cayman while we continued to Cozumel.

Hint: smoking pot in an inside cabin is pretty dumb.

On my trip to Jamaica in Dec aboard the Regal, I was surprised at just how laxed they were at the check in. We walked on everytime, at every port with liquor. They ex rayed bags but didn't care if we had booze. They never patted us down and in Jamaica there were no dogs. We did, however, dock at the different dock than we were supposed to. It was not in town, but in the outskirts. Could be a difference. Oh yes, this was Ocho Rios.

The last time we where in those ports, all back packs and purses were opened and gone thru pretty thoroughly. Occasionally people were pulled aside for a pat down - much like at airports. Some of those security guys looked pretty mean and serious.

Hi to All....

Coming from ports that "smoke" is common. I expect a tighter security check. Though I didn't do it, my friends brought their scuba gear with them and onshore, emptied the air, repacked with some "smoke", then refilled the tank with air and then returned. Security allowed them back and customs never checked the tanks due to them being filled partially with compressed air. Worked for them, but the risk is great. Why not just go to Amsterdam(my hometown) and relax there with a nice cup of Dutch coffee :) on your next trip........Dennis (I smoked, but I didn't inhale);)

Archived