Any families cruising in October?

hazeleyes35

Another Wisconsinite travelling during teacher break in October! :) We'll be on the Carnival Valor departing 10/24 with our first-grader.

I'm not sure I would recommend posting in the roll call thread about bringing your kids. :( Sadly, the negative comments I've read about kids in the thread for our cruise has turned me off in a big way. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1141485, beginning at post 125) I believe people will say things in an online forum that they wouldn't say in person; however, I'm left wondering how offensive people on our cruise will be. I’m very, very disappointed with the snide comments about children cruising.

I read those posts - that would make me nervous too if I knew they were going on my cruise with my kids on board. Not exactly the welcome you are looking for on your roll call...

Most of the eastern half of Wisconsin has at least three days off at the end of October for for "Teacher Convention". We tend to cruise the week of US Tgiving in November because DDs school is off the Friday before for a local celebration and then has at least a three day T-giving break (sometimes 3.5 days).

November in the eastern Med is great - beautiful weather, few crowds, great prices.

I know pleanty of families who home school or have kids in school districts with year round school. Lot's of good reason why a family may vaction in October or November.

Another Wisconsinite travelling during teacher break in October! :) We'll be on the Carnival Valor departing 10/24 with our first-grader.

I'm not sure I would recommend posting in the roll call thread about bringing your kids. :( Sadly, the negative comments I've read about kids in the thread for our cruise has turned me off in a big way. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1141485, beginning at post 125) I believe people will say things in an online forum that they wouldn't say in person; however, I'm left wondering how offensive people on our cruise will be. I’m very, very disappointed with the snide comments about children cruising.

Another Wisconsinite here crusing teacher's convention week. Carnival Destiny with DD11, DS9 and DS4. Took them last Jan and plenty of kids on board in January too. We never once came across anyone willing to complain in front of us about the kids:p. Don't worry about them and enjoy your vacation. Families have that right too.

We tend to cruise in Oct (23-30th this time, Belize, Roatan and Coz) -- My DS is turning 10 and I think that's HUGE -- he has a CHD and I tend to be more lenient to travel, new experiences and etc, probably due in part to that. Also, they're only young once... celebrate them, celebrate your family, enjoy that the ship isn't run over with everyone else's kids, too! There will be a number of kids on any cruise, for them to play with at the kids camps or on board, my kids are always "making new friends." Don't let anyone hassle you about bringing your kids or taking them out of school... it is experiences like these that help them grow, learn and experience life. What is a week of school (believe me, they'll still have to do the work) compared to a week of traveling a gorgeous ocean, meeting new people from all over the country, meeting new people from totally new countries and seeing ecosystems/ ways of life/ etc. you've never seen before? Or also, in our case, tryiing new foods... that is my DS's favorite... "Mom, do we get to have escargot again? 'Cause I'm eating at LEAST three plates! YUM!" :)

I would crack if I was on the same sailing with someone so nasty. What if you posted that you were going to taser all of the "old folks" -- or all of the "drunk people"? How could that person be so rude? He is sailing on Carnival for crying out loud. Ya know, like the big ship with the twister slide. Um, helloooooo. It's not like he is sailing a private yacht. :rolleyes:

He shouldn't be making those kind of comments on the roll call.

Lisaann, I just read through the roll call, starting at post # 125 and it is offensive, hostile, and inflammatory. Hopefully it is a just a few of the same individuals posting but unfortunately, has spiraled out of control:eek::eek::eek:

I personally would not participate in such a toxic thread. Enjoy your cruise and stay clear of the offenders;)

Sorry OP, did not mean to hijack:o

I just read this roll call and OMG, a few posters are stupid nasty :mad:

I think Lisa was right to bow out of the roll call. Salty seems.....ummm.....well my mother always said if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything

Honestly??? I think those cruising with kids are going to be fine.

We have taken our son on two cruises in Oct/Nov and both cruises were great with lots of kids :)

Yea, we had one breakfast with two elderly couples who were less then thrilled to see us sit down with our 14 year old son but once they realized he didn't..... throw food around, talked with his mouth open or swore or yelled at the top of his lungs they softened up and when they talked to him and he responded and the 7 of them had a lovely breakfast converstation they all thanked us for a lovely breakfast and said what a nice well behaved son we had. :eek: ...

....and everytime we saw them afterwards they would stop and we would talk about the lovely cruise we were all having.

What's the weather like in October? I remember reading somewhere that it's rainy season. At least it would be a warm rain. :)

Do you bring things on the ship to entertain your kids (for those of you who have children young enough who need entertaining)? I'm thinking of hitting the Dollar Store or some place reasonably priced and packing a small gift for each day of the cruise. This may be particularly useful if it is raining while on board.

P.S. Thanks to those of you who commented on the thread I linked. I sat back and thought about the thread for a while before posting there, so I chose my words carefully. I'll avoid that thread. I stopped reading it, but I'm sure there's no love for me there. I can live with that. :) I'm guessing those who dislike me won't be hanging out in Camp Carnival or by the kids' pool, so we'll be fine. :) Although...I'm considering a Disney Cruise next time around...!

Another October cruising family here! Leaving 10/23 for a 9 day Southern Carib cruise in the NCL Dawn. Can't wait! The kids have an odd 3-day downtime from school. So between that and the weekend dates, they will only miss 3 days of school. NICE!

CeleBrat

• 2 weeks later...

Archived