Carnival Dream--9-18-2010 Review (with pictures)

valancy1

Debra,

I am enjoying your review and pictures!! So glad you and your family had such a great time.

I did the same ship & itinerary in January and also did the cave tubing. The "walk" wasn't what we were expecting either and in my review, I recommended bringing some sort of cheap sneakers instead of water shoes. I wore water shoes and felt like I was barefoot for the whole hike. No one else seemed to complain, but man were my feet killing me. It felt like every rock was a knife sticking up from the ground.

Like you, we loved the guides and did have fun - just a few tips I wish I knew before we went.

Good luck with the surgery!!!

Debra,

I am enjoying your review and pictures!! So glad you and your family had such a great time.

I did the same ship & itinerary in January and also did the cave tubing. The "walk" wasn't what we were expecting either and in my review, I recommended bringing some sort of cheap sneakers instead of water shoes. I wore water shoes and felt like I was barefoot for the whole hike. No one else seemed to complain, but man were my feet killing me. It felt like every rock was a knife sticking up from the ground.

Like you, we loved the guides and did have fun - just a few tips I wish I knew before we went.

Good luck with the surgery!!!

Amy, yes, EXACTLY.

Morgan and Chelsea had to rent water shoes because we didn't know--the documentation doesn't say to bring them or that we'll need them, but Barry and I had our Keens and didn't need them. The girls said exactly what you did--their feet were killing them by the time they got finished.

Suffice it to say, dear readers, if you are going cave tubing, wear something that can get wet but has support for your feet! There are uneven surfaces and you want to be able to enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Great review. What limo service did you use? IF you dont mind, how much was it? I need to book ours from Orlando. Thanks!!

Lou,

Look up a bit--I'm not sure which post, but I put in there the name of the company and who/how to contact.

We paid $191 for a limo. We could have gotten a van for less, but I wanted to do it in style. :) I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Our driver even took us to Walgreens to get water and soda.

Roatan (cont'd)

After cave tubing the day before, I asked Barnie to just take us on a tour of the island. We wanted to see the monkeys, go shopping, and take pictures. We also had school supplies for a needy school.

Roatan's primary language is English. They also are taught Spanish in school. We had no problems at all communicating with anyone.

It was so fun shopping at the couple of stores we went to as it was nice to get away from some of the port shops. The girls had a blast spending their money and I found a couple things as well.

One of the stores we visited:

DSC02366.jpg

We visited this area that said "Paradise" just looking at it. These "cabins" remind me of Bora Bora:

DSC02368.jpg

60261_640014294384_32306014_35655289_7918509_n.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

An almond tree:

DSC02372.jpg

62213_640014613744_32306014_35655292_5660699_n.jpg

Roatan (cont'd)

Next stop was Victor Bodden's place where he has monkeys and other wildlife to view, pet, and hold.

We were all so taken with the monkeys... we had such fun. I wish I could describe their feet--they felt so soft; almost like one of those gel pads you use with a computer or some such. Really different from what I expected, I think.

One of the monkeys attached itself to Morgan and didn't leave until we had to leave the area.

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

DSC02376.jpg

33459_640014958054_32306014_35655305_4388256_n.jpg

33459_640014948074_32306014_35655303_4102364_n.jpg

33646_640015312344_32306014_35655316_4359755_n.jpg

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02379.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02383.jpg

This is papaya (not matured yet):

DSC02387.jpg

This was such a fun part of our day. I would love to go back there. One of the monkeys found a man with a backpack on--he got up on the guy's shoulder and unzipped the backpack, took a pen out of there, and zipped the pack back up before absconding with the pen. The guy got the pen back but it was so cute!!

Roatan (cont'd)

Then we finally could go and unload all the school supplies we got for the little kids. We purchased a LOT. Crayons, composition books, folders, glue, rulers, etc. So much that we had to stop at Guest Services to itemize everything, have the paper signed off by a custom's agent and so on before we could get off the ship.

It was worth every bit of the rigamarole...

We stopped at a school... Chelsea had the presence of mind to snap a pic of the school seal:

61826_640015661644_32306014_35655333_5176572_n.jpg

Barnie asked a teacher if we could go to a classroom and give the supplies to them. It was a kindergarten (the kids say they are in "kinder"). The room was a bare wooden floor up a rickety set of stairs. The kids were all in uniforms and as cute as could be.

DSC02399.jpg

When we pulled out the crayons the kids were SO excited. The teacher translated for us--some kids were only spanish-speaking. Others knew exactly what we were saying. The teachers were so appreciative of the goodies we brought. It was one of the highlights of the trip that day...

Then it was time to head back. Luckily, independent tour operators can bring you back to Mahogany Bay and we didn't have to walk that piece of it again...

I would do a Victor Bodden tour again in a heartbeat. It is like having your own personal driver for the day and they will do whatever it is you want to do. Next time we come, we're going to go snorkeling. Roatan has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. And you can dive there (it's a big diving place) and snorkel... I don't want to miss that. I could think up pretty much any excuse to go back to Roatan.

60229_640015916134_32306014_35655338_5623239_n.jpg

Of course, the girls wanted to shop in the port area, and Chelsea and I had a drink at Fat Tuesdays. One of the guys she (Chelsea) met on the ship was dancing on the pole at Fat Tuesday (they were all partying it up there at FT's). He motioned for her to come and dance and then Morgan got up there too, at our urging...

DSC02404.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02403.jpg

Carnival Valor was in town at the same time... Barry looking at her from the pier:

DSC02401.jpg

My husband is such a good sport--wearing my trinkets here:

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02400.jpg

I love this shot:

DSC02388.jpg

I am not sure why, but our call got extended by one hour here in Roatan. Valor left just before we did... au revoir, Carnival Valor!

DSC02408.jpg

I am soooo enjoying reading this.. as I will be the same place come Sat!! We also have VB booked in Roatan for some snorkleing and The Monkeys.. I think the monkeys is what my DH is most excited about!!

Do you happen to know the name of the resort with the lil cabanas over the water..that was beautiful!!

DSC02409.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

What a fantabulous day. I truly cannot wait to go visit this little slice of heaven again!

Dinnertime was fun--they played that rap song "Low" and both Chelsea and Morgan got up to dance:

DSC02422.jpg

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

Switching gears here, I want to talk about entertainment...

We enjoy going to the shows. I know others do not attend them, but we really like them. And the shows on this sailing were spectacular. They had a show called "Dancing in the Streets". DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW. It was fabulous. There were break dancers in this production that did things I've never seen break dancers do. It was fabulous.

I cannot post the pictures of the shows (you're not supposed to take pictures because of copyright laws, but I took some without flash for my scrapbook).

There was a juggler/comedian that was better than any juggler I've ever seen. He's been on Letterman and other shows on t.v., and I totally understand why. This is NOT your average juggler. One of the audience got up to leave and he stopped the show and ran after her and asked her why she was leaving. It was SO FUNNY. Don't miss this show either if he is on your sailing!

Also, they did a tribute to country music. We are country music fans and it was good. The best part was at the end where they sang "GOD BLESS THE USA" by Lee *********. The whole entire audience gave a standing ovation during the song. It was quite a moment. There was also a fiddle player from the orchestra that played an electric violin and did Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" and REALLY kicked it. Fabulous job--not everyone can pull that off.

There was also this comedian named Mark something. He gave a little vignette to promote the comedy club. Hysterically funny.

The piano bar was crowded every night. I am not smoke tolerant or I might have ducked my head in... it reminded Chelsea of Howl at the Moon, where she used to tend bar.

So don't miss the shows. They were better than I've ever seen. Don't think because the first one is the same that they are the same ol' shows--WOW.

I am soooo enjoying reading this.. as I will be the same place come Sat!! We also have VB booked in Roatan for some snorkleing and The Monkeys.. I think the monkeys is what my DH is most excited about!!

Do you happen to know the name of the resort with the lil cabanas over the water..that was beautiful!!

Tina, I am sorry--I don't know the name of the resort. However, it is very well known in Roatan, so if you want to see it, just tell your guide that you want to go to the resort with the cabins/huts/tiki's? on the water. They have large dive boats that go in and out of there... it is very well known.

I hope you'll post pictures of your snorkeling when you go! I have that on my list of things to do sometime in the future (snorkel in Roatan). I understand it is GORGEOUS!

9/23/10 Costa Maya

I have to say that I was SO GLAD I had nothing planned for this short trip to Costa Maya. My feet were shot and I had nothing left to give. My heart gave me a little thrill when I saw there was a trolley that took us from the pier to the tourist area. LOL...

DSC02428.jpg

DSC02429.jpg

I guess the area is still hard hit after hurrican Dennis came through a few years ago. There are trees that have been stripped bare of their foliage. It looks barren and desolate. We wondered how far people have to come in order to go to work each day.

DSC02433.jpg

DSC02434.jpg

DSC02440.jpg

DUH, me! I didn't know there was a pool there. For those of you who've never been to Costa Maya, there is a pretty big pool area with a swim up bar that plays to the party crowd. The shopping area encircles this big pool area with all sorts of stores (mostly locals selling wares).

DSC02438.jpg

My new cruise friend Jan and her husband took a taxi to town and rented a golf cart and explored the town. I wish I would have known about it, I am sure I would have enjoyed that.

I hope everything went well with your surgery. Thanks for the review. We love those Miami Vice's too! And thanks for the reality check on the cave tubing. My wife and daughters are afraid of spiders and bats, and some reviews say that they do show up sometimes, but the strenuous trek to the caves completely eliminates it now. We have also done the tubing in Jamaica, down the White River, and loved it, so we'll have to get all our tubing needs done there! LOL.

In Roatan, I read that there is some sort of sky chair to get you to Carnival's own beach? Was that at your pier?

Is there a wine bar on this ship? Looking to drink some real good quality wine, by the glass.

Keep it comin'! BTW, our daughter is also named Chelsea.

I hope everything went well with your surgery. Thanks for the review. We love those Miami Vice's too! And thanks for the reality check on the cave tubing. My wife and daughters are afraid of spiders and bats, and some reviews say that they do show up sometimes, but the strenuous trek to the caves completely eliminates it now. We have also done the tubing in Jamaica, down the White River, and loved it, so we'll have to get all our tubing needs done there! LOL.

In Roatan, I read that there is some sort of sky chair to get you to Carnival's own beach? Was that at your pier?

Is there a wine bar on this ship? Looking to drink some real good quality wine, by the glass.

Keep it comin'! BTW, our daughter is also named Chelsea.

Yes, there is a sky chair! We saw it but we didn't ride on it. This was at Mahogany Bay.

I am not sure about the wine bar! Drat! I love wine. We did more of the mixed drinks this cruise, but we did have wine at the steakhouse that was just divine!

If you like wine, you might be interested in one of their wine packages. They talk about them on the first day of the cruise and have different packages and price points. This might be of interest.

They had a margarita bar, too...

They also had free sushi from 5-8 p.m... there was one day that they didn't have it--the first formal night. Don't know why exactly, but that's what it was. :)

Costa Maya day was the day we reserved for the steakhouse. We went up to Chef's Art Steakhouse to dine.

OHMIGOSH, I forgot to tell you all about some drama in the main dining room a few nights before!!!

I believe it was the night of Belize... we were sitting eating our dinner and having a delightful time. All of a sudden this guy stands up and says, "Attention ladies and gentlemen..." and I thought someone was announcing a birthday or some milestone they were celebrating. All of a sudden this "announcement" got ugly. This guy was shouting at the two tables on either side of him telling them to "shut their holes" and quit the disparaging remarks about his sister (who was dressed rather suggestively, which I didn't even notice until he called attention to it). It was loud and really bad! He dropped some F bombs, too. The Maitre'd was over there and the guy wouldn't listen to reason, so he (Maitre'd) flipped open a phone and called security!

His wife got in on the act and tried to get him out of the door. By the time they all left, EVERYONE on our side applauded as he was dragged out of the dining room by his wife.

I heard later that he said that he was upset because his food took too long to come. It wasn't true as their plates were full of food--it looked like their entrees had just come prior to this explosion.

WHEW what drama. Our server and I dished about it the next night.

So when we walk into the steakhouse, who(m) should we see, but this very 4-some that caused trouble the night before. I sent a quick prayer heavenward to please spare us from being seated by these people. We were seated across the room from them, thankfully.

I don't know how many of you have seen Harry's Steakhouse on Carnival Liberty, but it is beauuuutiful. It is themed after Harry Winston, of Beverly Hills jewelry fame. There are diamond "necklaces" on the walls and such. Chef's Art Steakhouse was not asthetically as pleasing. Though the food was wonderful--absolutely wonderful.

DSC02442.jpg

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02448.jpg

Barry and Chelsea had the surf & turf (a full 15-oz lobster tail from Maine with a 9-oz filet). Morgan had the 24-oz porterhouse, and I had a bone-in ribeye. All cooked deliciously. My only disappointment was they had 3 different sauces you could request, and I forgot. Wah. LOL.

We did not have the ceasar's salad as it is too fishy for us... they really crank up the anchovy paste. So we opted for baked onion soup (which is the best I've EVER had--they make it with wine) and wedge salads. Barry had the lobster bisque and it, too, was delicious.

Dessert was HUGE. I don't know how they expect anyone to eat that slab of cheesecake. (It is HUGE.. like a 5x7 piece of cheesecake, I'm not kidding). Barry had the apple tart-like thing. I had a fresh fruit cup as I couldn't imagine eating anything overly heavy. Morgan got the chocolate sampler, and lucky me, I got to eat the tiramisu sampler--yum.

We rolled out of there and went and took some zantac. LOL... what incredible food. Well worth the money. The experience itself is so much fun.

Chelsea and I shared a bottle of wine which was spectacular. Morgan had lemonade (they charged for each one of them, btw). Barry just had water (he doesn't drink).

It was a nice way to end the evening...

9/24/10 Last Day at Sea

Today was our last day at sea. Our last meal in the dining room later this evening. This cruise went by SO QUICKLY!! We think it is because it was 4 ports in a row, but whatever the reason, we couldn't believe the next morning we would be off this beautiful ship and back to reality.

Here is what happens when Carnival announces a sale on the ship:

DSC02450.jpg

It was a madhouse and the merchandise they were scalping prices from was nothing to write home about. They gave away 2 watches--one for ladies and one for gents--a value of $19.99 each... whoop de doo.

They don't do a disembarkation talk anymore. They just have it on the television. Butch and Baby Butch did it together like a talk show. I enjoyed tuning in when I wanted and getting what I needed without having to go to the Encore Theatre to see it.

DSC02426.jpg

This was the portabello mushroom as one of the starters for dinner. It was delish

DSC02451.jpg

Great Review Debra. You have a great family and it looks like everyone had a fantastic time.

I have heard you mention on prior threads that you love to scrap

book. Do you normally just do one book per cruise? Also, how long does it normally take you to complete?

I just started to scrapbook about 2 years ago and it took me a few months after our vacation to get everything in the book just the way I wanted. I did have quite a bit though. I even used the airline boarding passes and luggage tags to make a "travel-day" page. I had several menus from favorite places that we dined and little mementos from various places that we visited. I tried to incorporate these in with all of the pictures; it was so much fun that I got carried away. I ended up spending way too much $$ at the Hobby store for various boarders and what nots. I love your idea of using pics of the patterns from the interiors of the ship to use a boarder. You have some great ideas!!! I willl have to check into your SB thread.

Thanks Again, Cari :)

The last night they did Carnival Legends and it was quite good. The songs are the same I've seen on other ships, but of course, different performers. Butch was pretty funny as Dolly Parton...

DSC02456.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

One of the guys was Elton John and he forgot ALL the words to Crocodile Rock except the chorus.

DSC02464.jpg

The guy that did Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places" got a standing ovation. He even had the type of shirt Garth wears

DSC02470.jpg

9/25/10 - Disembarkation

I don't know if it is this ship or if Carnival fleet-wide has had a change, but wow this went quickly.

We put our luggage out the night before and it was gone in 5 minutes from our hallway. The next day, because of our number, we were given an estimated disembarkation time of approx. 9-9:30 a.m. Sure enough, at 9:00 we were called to come down and get our luggage and go through customs.

It took about 15 minutes to get through customs and a porter helped us with our 7 bags to the area where we got the rental car shuttle.

We were at the rental car place by 10-10:15 a.m. It was a far cry from our first cruise where we had to wait until 1:00 p.m. to get onboard the ship!

Our cruise was wonderful. Let me see if I can get anything else answered that people wonder about:

The elevators near the main atrium always seemed crowded. We went through the Crimson dining room and found elevators that came quickly and didn't have people crammed in them like subways in Japan are.

Butch didn't make a lot of announcements--just enough, imho. He only came into the rooms once because they were doing an emergency evacuation drill on one of the port days and he apologized but there was nothing he could do about it.

I like the Fun Times better than the Capers! They are laid out in a much easier-to-read format than the Capers were.

We never ate at the pasta bar. I would have liked to, but never found the time to do that.

We never experienced a terrible line on the Lido at the Gathering. That's our personal experience... it just never felt crowded and we ALWAYS got a table.

They were better about chair hogging, too. MANY times in strolling around on the ship, I found poolside chairs available for the taking. I heard the aft pool was often quite un-busy and people had it to themselves.

There were PLENTY of hot tubs, so go and splash and soak to your heart's content. I didn't see a lot of the kid issues (kids in the pools in diapers, and stuff you hear about on other ships).

They had the typical games. Butch also did a rubber chicken Olympics which Chelsea and Morgan said was hysterical. Butch also did a disco dance class (I thought he was joking but he wasn't!)

They had romantic couples dancing available many of the nights either at the bar on the Promenade or in the main atrium.

If you go on Carnival Dream and it is offered on your sailing, don't miss the breakdancing demonstration they offer in the grand atrium. It was a hit!

Morgan and Chelsea went on the Waterworks slides and said they LOVED them. Morgan particularly loved that big part that you spin around in. She said that she spun around 2x in it... and it was funny to watch the kids come out of it and be all dizzy.

They offer PRIVATE photography sessions. I don't know what they cost--I only found out about them the last night of the cruise. But they take you to different places on the ship and do custom photography. If you are into that sort of thing, the shots shown on display were lovely.

Disappointed that there were virtually NO scrapbooks on the ship for sale. There was one designed for a wedding and one for Alaska and that was it! They had scrapbooking KITS but I have all those.

Please let me know if you have other questions. I will be posting my disposable camera pictures here in the next couple of days. I'll be happy to help any way I can.

We will be doing the same cruise in January!!! Can't wait we are also booked with Victor but we are doing the ziplining. Your family looks so fun!! What great memories and I can totally relate with the beet face - when I would go to aerobics class me & my sister also get real red faces and the poor instructor would be so nervous always asking if we were ok - I suppose she didn't want to do CPR! HA HA

What kind of camera do you have the pictures are wonderful

GREAT REVIEW!!!

Archived