Carnival Dream--9-18-2010 Review (with pictures)

valancy1

Hi! Loving the pics and the review. Have a question though. Did you dock port or starboard in the ports. We have a balcony on the Verandah too and I'm sure hoping we dock to our side. We are in 8396 - just changed from 8281 because everyone was saying she docked on port side everytime. I sure hope this holds true - let me know when you have a chance and once again - thanks for all the info. We don't sail until 4/2/11 - but we can't wait - taking our 2 birth daughters (16 & 14) and our first two foster children (who are now a permanent part of our home - ages 8 and 6) and believe me, they are excited - this is their first cruise!

Hi! Loving the pics and the review. Have a question though. Did you dock port or starboard in the ports. We have a balcony on the Verandah too and I'm sure hoping we dock to our side. We are in 8396 - just changed from 8281 because everyone was saying she docked on port side everytime. I sure hope this holds true - let me know when you have a chance and once again - thanks for all the info. We don't sail until 4/2/11 - but we can't wait - taking our 2 birth daughters (16 & 14) and our first two foster children (who are now a permanent part of our home - ages 8 and 6) and believe me, they are excited - this is their first cruise!

Well, my experience will make you happy then... when we docked on our cruise (Western Carib: Cozumel, Belize (tender), Roatan and Costa Maya) we docked every time on the port side.

This was our first time staying in a starboard cabin and I sorta missed not seeing out at the islands.

Now I will say that when we cruised on a Western Caribbean itinerary and went to Jamaica, we docked starboard side.

The only time a ship was in port with us a couple weeks ago was in Roatan and the Carnival Valor also was docked port side.

Lastly God bless you for being a foster parent!

Thanks!

One of the things that Barry & I did on our first trip to Cozumel was we rented a car from Avis and drove all around the island. That was still one of his favorite things he still talks about it, 4 cruises later. Don't know if it interests you or not, but thought I would toss it out there.

I am going to spell this phonetically because I honestly don't know how to spell it, but our taxi driver told us the next time we come back we should go to "pala canar". It is a quiet beach with lots of seashells and such. We just might do that next time.

Another thing I would love to to do is that Twister excursion--I think that sounds pretty darned fun :)

As far as the wardrobe, at first it will be shopping at Goodwill or the local Opportunity Shop. Once I reach a plateau and my body stops losing weight, I have already warned my husband. I've never been a clothes freak, but there is one under the surface waiting to come out. LOL.

I think the beach he's referring to is Palancar. It's beautiful - quiet with tons of conch shells (they're everywhere) peacocks roam the beach - there's a small gift shop, beach bar - makings of a perfect day.

I am LOVING your review and your photos! You are giving me some GREAT ideas for scrapbooking. I just took my first cruise July 31st on the Liberty. I took lots of good pictures, but now I need to go back on another cruise to get MORE!!!!

Just found your review tonight :D:D:D Loved it and the pictures. In just 30 minutes I will be doing the single digit dance til my turn on the Dream..also going western.

I may hate you in the morning though...gotta be up by 6 a.m. and I just couldn't quit reading!! :eek:

thanks!

I think the beach he's referring to is Palancar. It's beautiful - quiet with tons of conch shells (they're everywhere) peacocks roam the beach - there's a small gift shop, beach bar - makings of a perfect day.

Lido,

As an aside, I am in Kenosha... we went through your town on Saturday! :)

Lido,

As an aside, I am in Kenosha... we went through your town on Saturday! :)

Wow What a great review, Sally and I hope everything is going well with your surgery and make sure you tell Barry we said Hello. We just got back from our cruise on the Liberty again (where we met you guys) and had a wonderful time. Allready looking for our next date.

Stay in touch :)

Brent & sally

Great review and photographs. And you and your family are as cute as furry little kittens (believe me this is a high compliment :p).

My best friend (my sister) and I will be sailing on the Dreams's sister ship, The Magic, when she sails out of Galveston for the first time. Now I really can't wait until we leave on November 14 (2011).

Thanks for taking time to share your cruise with all of us.

how much was the cooking class on ship

Thank YOU. I enjoyed our cooking class at Mr. Sanchos, yes... it was great.

The big disappointment there is their "all inclusive" is not ALL inclusive.

At Paradise Beach, however, you buy a wristband and get the chair and all the toys. I *think* but I could be wrong (someone correct me please if I am) if you buy food or drink from them you can go on the toys out in the water for free.

It used to be the beach chairs were free, but I think they charge $2.50 for those if you want them.

Next time I want an all inclusive, I'm going to try Nachi Cochum since I've heard such incredible things about it.

Wow What a great review, Sally and I hope everything is going well with your surgery and make sure you tell Barry we said Hello. We just got back from our cruise on the Liberty again (where we met you guys) and had a wonderful time. Allready looking for our next date.

Stay in touch :)

Brent & sally

Brent, SO GOOD to hear from you!

Check on 9/11/11 on the Valor. We're booked--we'd love to see you!

how much was the cooking class on ship

We didn't do it through the ship. We arranged it through beachtours.com. mx / beachtours (try without the spaces)

I think we paid $65 for the cooking class AND the all inclusive afterwards. Ask for Ericka. She was wonderful to work with.

You do need a minimum of 4, however, before they will honor the class--either through this company OR the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

First off you have a lovely family! Your girls look like they are a blast and the pics area great! Hope your surgery went well, take care!:)

I was wondering how you went about setting up the visit with the school to take them supplies...we we will be in Samana Dominican Republic in December and would love to do this! Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Debi

First off you have a lovely family! Your girls look like they are a blast and the pics area great! Hope your surgery went well, take care!:)

I was wondering how you went about setting up the visit with the school to take them supplies...we we will be in Samana Dominican Republic in December and would love to do this! Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Debi

Debi, The surgery went well... both my physician and surgeon said it was a textbook surgery--it couldn't have been any easier. I am doing GREAT. Thanks!

As far as the school supplies goes, I read about it here on CC that people who visited Roatan arranged this with Victor Bodden tours. So when we arranged our tour with them, that was one of the things we asked to do.

You may want to find out if Dominica has any sight-seeing tours or something and ask them directly if they would be willing to do this. It was one of the highlights of our day.

Remember, if you take more than will fit in a backpack to stop by guest services and get everything cleared through customs BEFORE you want to get off the ship (learn from us... lol).

Hope you find what you are looking for to do this--it was soooo much fun.

Thank YOU. I enjoyed our cooking class at Mr. Sanchos, yes... it was great.

The big disappointment there is their "all inclusive" is not ALL inclusive.

At Paradise Beach, however, you buy a wristband and get the chair and all the toys. I *think* but I could be wrong (someone correct me please if I am) if you buy food or drink from them you can go on the toys out in the water for free.

It used to be the beach chairs were free, but I think they charge $2.50 for those if you want them.

Next time I want an all inclusive, I'm going to try Nachi Cochum since I've heard such incredible things about it.

I was recently at Nachi Cocum on my Legend Cruise and loved loved loved it....so relaxing and the food was terrific and it was all you can drink and the selections were amazing.!!! You can pay extra for off shore snorkeling, massages, etc but we did not participate in any extras we just had a great time at the beach, in the water, at the swim up bar and in the not so hot tub lol

I think one of my family members counted 30 kids in this particular school. I was so glad each child got a folder and a composition book for their very own.

I am sure they will be sharing many of the other things... they were SO CUTE (and I'm not even a big kid lover, either) :)

This school was located directly across the street from the ocean. Wonder if you'll go to the same one or if they have several they choose?

It probably depends on your driver/guide. We booked with Victor in April 2009 Tex was our driver. One of the places we stopped was a school. This one was ON the beach!!!......but the kids were just as cute and sweet!!

You just can't go wrong with Victor and his staff. We have already booked with him again for our April 1011 cruise, and Tex will be our driver once again.

Mohogany Bay looks very nice, and I'm sure it is, but for me the real magic to be had in Roatan requires getting outside of the port areas and seeing the island and meeting the people who live there. Everyone we encountered was so nice, and truly seemed to appreciate having us visit and explore Roatan. They seem very proud of their island, and rightly so!!

Glad your surgery went well! Hope you are recouping and feeling good. We were on the Dream when you were. I saw the picture at Fat Tuesdays in Roatan and saw those young men later that day...much more of them then I expected! We also had a fantastic time could not complain about anything. Never noticed "the smell" Had great food, and wonderful times.

Note: The grainy texture of the photos is because they got passed through x-ray at the airport ONE time. Please be careful and mindful of 800 or higher film... this is the result. The Belize ones are grainy, too, as you'll see in a bit.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I asked for my water cameras to be hand checked at the airport because they were 800 film. The guy was very put out and told me I didn't have to do that - the film would be fine. But I insisted, so he hand-checked them. Now I am glad I stuck to it.

Maggie

Great Review and Photos Debra

We will be sailing on Jan. 1st, 2011

We'll be on the starboard side too so now we can know what to expect to look at!!! lol

I have a couple questions. You said you travelled to the port in limo.

What limo service did you use and how much was it?

We are going to be in Disney and are trying to figure out what kind of transportation we should take to the port in the morning and are perhaps considering a limo over renting.

Thanks!

Debbie

Archived