Help me avoid formal nights, please

Merig75484

If you are tired of the formal/no formal night threads, then you should also be tired of the "choose NCL" line that also is stated ad nauseum. Formal nights are just a very small part of the Celebrity experience. There are many more reasons why people choose Celebrity.

Exactly the point. NCL has an optional formal night policy (which I hated last time I cruised with them), so why not choose them if someone doesn't like the idea of formal nights? makes good sense to me. True, they won't get the same service, cuisine and experience, but the same would be true if entering a "jacket required" restaurant, no?

Le Sigh! there always has to be one :rolleyes:

Why oh why does it always have to be NCL? why is not wanting to partake in formal night equated to the lowest cruise experience out there? why not Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, Regent? Azamara, Oceania and Regent don't have them and Seabourn now don't on cruises of 7 days or less. Is it really that hard for you to share a ship with people who just aren't into formal night? you won't catch anything I promise...although if manners are infectious you might want to try!

Not all of us have "Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, and Regent" money. Call us old fashioned, but we really do like formal nights. I guess there's always Cunard. Too bad they don't have more ships cruising to more places. We'd be in heaven. Then again, we really don't have Cunard money either.

Happy sailing everyone.

Not all of us have "Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, and Regent" money. Call us old fashioned, but we really do like formal nights. I guess there's always Cunard. Too bad they don't have more ships cruising to more places. We'd be in heaven. Then again, we really don't have Cunard money either.

Happy sailing everyone.

I wasn't talking about your financial situation. You assumed to put the OP in the NCL sailing class because they didn't want to take part in Formal Night which was insulting. Actually most of what you wrote has been insulting.:eek:

Your example of a jacket required restaurant is a bit ridiculous... in this case, there's a separate section of that restaurant that accommodates casual dressers, same service, same great ship, just a little different food.

You do realize don't you that if Celebrity didn't welcome casual dressers and have space for them to dine at night they'd probably go out of business? Times are changing, whether you accept that or not. A certain percentage of cruisers are not looking for formal night. I'm not saying they should end, but I am saying lines have to accommodate them to survive.

I wasn't talking about your financial situation. You assumed to put the OP in the NCL sailing class because they didn't want to take part in Formal Night which was insulting. Actually most of what you wrote has been insulting.:eek:

Your example of a jacket required restaurant is a bit ridiculous... in this case, there's a separate section of that restaurant that accommodates casual dressers, same service, same great ship, just a little different food.

You do realize don't you that if Celebrity didn't welcome casual dressers and have space for them to dine at night they'd probably go out of business? Times are changing, whether you accept that or not. A certain percentage of cruisers are not looking for formal night. I'm not saying they should end, but I am saying lines have to accommodate them to survive.

I totally agree with you. If those who wanted only formal dress in the MDR and no one else would be welcomed, the cruise line would be out of business. I continue to read the ship reviews and see that maybe less than 50% of those diners wear tuxes or formal attire. This is what I noticed as well on our last cruise. I went back to read the "Dress Code" for Celebrity. Nowhere does it say that it is mandatory or that you will not be allowed into a venue not dressed accordingly, as long as you look presentable. So those other posters can continue to "suggest" to others what they should wear, but it will be always up to the individual cruiser what they feel like wearing. After all it is a vacation to enjoy, not endure.

Randy

Exactly the point. NCL has an optional formal night policy (which I hated last time I cruised with them), so why not choose them if someone doesn't like the idea of formal nights? makes good sense to me. True, they won't get the same service, cuisine and experience, but the same would be true if entering a "jacket required" restaurant, no?

Because you are missing the point. That sure would not be a line I would choose just because formal nights are optional, nor would it be a consideration for choosing any cruise line. Formal nights are just a small, insignificant part of any cruise, but for you, it appears to be the largest and most important part.

Tallyten, Hi to you too:D Yes that was a great cruise wasn't it ! Would you like to e-mail me so we can catch up ? this is the adress (but without the spaces)

pub struyf @ pandora dot be. Or you can give me yours and I'll e-mail you ?

You have mail. :)

We did this last year on the Century and really enjoyed it! There was some talk that this had been discontinued on the Summit. So you saw this in operation on your recent Millie cruise?

Yes, the first week of September this was still an option on Millie. I was seeing this option listed on the daily schedule and we finally asked one of the "suits" about it, specifically where it was located. He brought us a menu to look at, and it looked very nice. I'm sad to find out that it's being phased out.

I took a photo of the menu but was unable to post it correctly. If anyone is interested I'll list the menu choices.

Archived