OPERA 2nd APRIL and ST. THOMAS Coach tour 5th April

czechmate

Hi all - will check out the other islands and let you know.

Carol - I am blushing!! Must be the only "angel" with horns!

Robyn - would be good to see what MSC offer - if you get the time.

Les and less "sleeps" :-) really getting exciting now!

Have sent off enquiries for Antigua, Martinique and Barbados.

Have had a response from one company in Antigua and Martinique. Sifting through the info. and will let you have more details later.

Uhmmm! One thing I crossed off the list for Martinique was a visit to the Cockfighting which also included a fight between a mongoose and a snake as a "special attraction". Anyone needs the info I can pass it on.

At least they had the good grace to inform me that "sensitive people should not sign in"!...

Will get to work on Tenerife and Palma.

Palma may be difficult as it is overnight sunday and just a short time monday morning.

Hi everyone,

As promised I am about to post abbreviated details of the usual shore excursions MSC offers in our transatlantic ports.

Will post a seperate thread for each port (with the moderators permission) as some may not be interested in all or wish to skip through a couple.

Won't bother with any info for St Thomas as we have (with czechmates usual wonderful organisation) our 'own' tour there.

Ditto for San Juan as it is a quite short overnight stop (8pm to 2am) and the excursions on their list are noted as only being offered on "full port day stops" only.

Please note: It may well be that some of the excursions are not offered by the time we are boarding, and/or prices quoted may change.

Read on...........

13 excursions offered in this port!!!!

1. HISTORICAL ANTIGUA (half day) US$42

Visit to the famour Nelson's Dockyard, located in the southern coast of the island. Stop at Shirley Heights, a series of fortifications built since 1871, to enjoy the view. Stop at Dhow's Hill Interpretation Centre for a visit.

2. LONG BAY BEACH TRANSFER (half day) US$45

Sightseeing island tour passing by quaint small villages up to beautiful Long Bay, 9 miles from St John, the capital of Antigua. Free time on the beach & snorkelling possibilities near the coral reef. (note: snorkelling equipment available for rent)

3. COASTAL MANGROVE ECO-TOUR (half day) US$58

Sail to the northern area of the island. Visit to mangrove area to see these water plants which take part in preserving the delicate balance of the eco-system in the Caribbean. Sail to the other island for a swimming stop. (note: limited seats)

4. ANTIGUA JEEP SAFARI (half day) US$68

Off-road adventurous safari in jeep which takes you up to Monk's Hill. Here you may explore the historic ruins of Fort George, built in 1700. Monk's Hill also affords you a spectacular view of Fairmouth Harbour & English Harbour. En route to one of Antigua's white sandy beaches for a short sim, you pass through Antigua's rainforest. (note: limited seats)

5. ANTIGUA SEAVIEW (half day) US$52

Travel in airconditioned bus to the north of the island. You will see Antigua Mill Tower, Hodges Bay, the Antigua "Beverly Hills", the US Naval Base. Photo stop at Scott's Hill overlooking St Johns where you will get a spectacular view of the capital city.

6. HISTORICAL ANTIGUA & BEACH TOUR (half day) US$58

Travel in airconditioned bus through Antigua's pioneer villages of All Saints, Liberta and Falmouth. You will see Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley's Heights Lookout. Panoramic view of ships and activities in Falmouth and English Harbours as well as some neighbouring islands if it's a clear day. Time ata white sandy beach.

7. SOUTH COAST HORIZON ECO TOUR (half day) US$98

Enjoy the peaceful beauty of South Coast Horizon, between the mountain range of Boggy Peak, the highest mountain o the island, and the Caribbean Sea with Guadeloupe, Dominica, Montserrat & Redonda on the horizon.

8. 18 HOLE GOLF (half day) US$95 (2pax) US$120 (1pax)

8 hole course at Cedar Valley approximately 20 minutes from the peir. Cedar Valley Golf Club is a championship course and one of the most challenging in the Caribbean. (note: tour includes round trip transfer from the pier, cart rental and green fees)

9. ATV OFF ROAD ADVENTURE (half day) US$120 (2pax) US$145 (1pax)

View Antigua from an entirely different perspective. Follow your tour guide in a procession of ATVs on unpaved trails though old sugar cane estates & villages before stopping atop Monk's Hill for a well deserved break. Explore the ruins of Fort George, or simply take in the panoramic views of the island including the famous Nelson's Dockyard, the only remaining Georgian styled dockyard in this hemisphere. (note: this is a rough ride - not recommended for pregnant women, the elderly or physically challenged persons. Valid driver's license required. Closed shoes, long pants, sunblock & sunshades are also recommended. Non-alcoholic drinks and water are provided. Limited seats)

10. CORAL ARK PARTY (half day) US$46

Met at ship's dock and taken onboard the Coral Ark where the sounds of reggae and calypso rhythms greet you as the party begins. Sail along the West Coast aboard 85-foot trimaran vessel. Have a glass of the special Rum Punch, or maybe two, and get ready for the 'Coral Ark' action. Bathe in the waters or tan on the sandy white beach of the Captain's choice. (note: tour includes party cruise, unlimited drinks, and limited snorkelling - weather permitting. Bring along your towel, sun block, camera and lots of good humour!

11. NELSONS DOCKYARD NAVAL EXPERIENCE (half day) US$83

Step back in time through some of the fascinating pages of Antigua's history while enjoying a picturesque drive through our pioneer villages. This dockyard, still in use today, is a restored 18th century British naval dockyard and one of the safest land-locked harbours in the world. Explore the dockyard & surrounding areas by land with a National Parks guide. Then, explore the dockyard by sea - experience first-hand sailing the channel between Fort Berkeley & Fort Charlotte, two of the forst which were part of the main defence of the dockyard.

12. OCEAN KAYAK ADVENTURE (half day) US$75

A unique eco experience in one of the most unspoiled coastal areas in the Caribbean. Experienced guides will ensure you enjoy a half day of kayaking and snorkelling.

13. HELICOPTER & BEACH (half day) US$110

An exciting experience to know the island of Antigua from a new and different perspective. (note: the helicopter tour lasts 20 minutes - limited seats)

Thats a lot of excursions - I'm personally going to do the Coral Ark Party - comes highly recommended by staff and crew of MSC.

Onwards to.....Martinique

6 excursions offered

1. RHUM & VULCANO (half day) US$67

Discover the rainforest during a short walk among huge trees and bamboo bunches, taste the coconuts and bananas, learn all about the volcano and the rum process and, at least, taste the local rum! This is scenic Martinique.

2. CLEMENT ESTATE (half day) US$63

Come back 2 centuries ago and discover an estate with all it was made of: Local dances, rum factory, a 2 centuries old mansion, a dedicated room to remember the meeting at the estate between President Bush & President Mitterand in 1993 after the first Gulf War, local dresses show and rum tasting session.

3. JEEP SAFARI (half day) US$70

Off road adventure in 4x4 vehicle and expert local guide. Pick up at pier and set off for the centre of the island. During this adventure, your guide will drive you through a banana and sugar cane plantation, an exotic flowers garden and you will even ford rivers. A stop will be made at a local distillery to sample the local brew. (note: limited seats)

4. HIKING ADVENTURE (half day) US$85

In the heart of the rainforest. Discovery of a shaded path under a vault of greenery upon a tropical river with magnificent tropical flowers and numerous orchids. Hiking will be ended by refreshment in the heart of the forest (note: limited seats)

5. CATAMARAN TOUR (half day) US$70

Sailing across the Bay of Fort-de-France, capital of Martinique. After 60 minutes of pleasant sailing, you will arrrive at the Anse Dufour, famous for its rich underwater marine life. Your catamaran will be anchoring for 1 hour in front of a beautiful cave where you can enjoy swimming, snorkelling or kayaking. Then return under full sails to your ship. An open bar is available during the entire trip; however alcoholic beverages will only be served after the water-sport activities. (note: limited seats)

6. SCENIC SOUTH & DIAMOND ROCK (half day) US$72

Cross the Ford-de-France by boat, visit the mangrove, the sugar cane museum, reach the famous Diamond Rock view by the deep south of the island, visit a distillery and tast the Martinican rum

Next port.....Barbados

6 excursions on offer

1. HARRISON'S CAVES & FLOWER FOREST (half day) US$59

Visit to beautiful underground grottoes complex rich in stalactites and stalagmites. Continue to the Botanical Garden to enjoy a relaxing walk among the lush tropical plants.

2. ISLAND TOUR (half day) US$42

Scenic bus tour including some photo stops to admire the views of the island. Drive through the picturesque village of Farley Hill and Bathseba. Interesting visit to St George's Church.

3. TURTLE BAY (half day) US$54

Sail to Turtle Bay for swimming and see the peaceful giant turtles living there. Continue to a beach and free time to relax in the sun or swim in the blue waters of Barbados. Snorkelling gear included. (note: limited seats)

4. ATLANTIS SUBMARINE (half day) US$90

Bus transportation (5 minutes) to Shallow Draught. From here, a boat will take you to the submarine which will dive you under the sea where you will see hundreds of tropical fishes while you are comfortably seated. (note: limited seats)

5. SAIL & TRAIL (half day) US$72

A snorkel experience on a luxury catamaran and also discovering the island's natural beauty in a convoy of specially rigged 4x4 jeep. The catamaran will take you to snorkel over beautiful shallow coral reefs, followed by cooling drinks from the open bar. Afterwards, your 4x4 driver will take you off-the-beaten-track to unspoilt parts of the Barbados countryside and dramatic East coast. (note: limited seats)

6. 4x4 SAFARI & PARADISE BEACH (half day) US$66

Your driver will take you into the interior of Barbados which is generally inaccessible to most other forms of transport. Through Fisherpond Sugar Cane Estate, Coffee Gully and dramatic East Coast. A snack and drink stop is made at Bathsheba before heading off to the West Coast for a cooling swim. (note: limited seats)

Across the Atlantic Ocean to our next port....Santa Cruz, Tenerife!

Surprisingly, only one shore excursion ????

PUERTO DE LA CRUZ (half day) US$27

Tenerife is the largest island of the Canary Archipelago. This tour will take you to Puerto de la Cruz, the main tourist centre of the island and a real paradise for all shopping lovers. Also visit the Botanical Garden to admire the variety of tropical plants.

Next port.....Cadiz, Spain

3 tours on offer

1. CITY TOUR (half day) US$30

You will be taken through the most interesting historical and cultural places in the town such as Plaza de Espana and Murallas de San Carlos which surround the ancient part of Cadiz. Visit the Oratory of San Felipe which has an elliptical structure and is srrounded by chapels and Baroque retables (?????? I have no idea what this means, but remember folks, this is Spanish, translated by Italians, into English!) Short stop at Genoese Park before visiting the Baroque Cathedral. (note: this excursion includes a long walking tour)

2. CITY TOUR & FLAMENCO SHOW (half day) US$50

Drive through town before driving to the Phoenician port of La Caleta and then arriving at Plaza de Espana. Walking tour through the typical narrow streets of Cadiz. Visit to the Baroque Cathedral. The excursion also includes a flamenco show. (note: the excursion includes a long walking tour. One snack and drink included. Limited seats)

3. JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA (half day) US$38

Drive to Jerez de la Frontera, a small nice town which is 50 km from Cadiz. Interesting visit to a cellar to learn more about the liqueur-making process.

On to our last port.....Palma de Mallorca

As czechmate has already noted, excursions here might be difficult due to our timing. (9pm Sunday to 11am Monday)

3 excursions offered

1. CITY TOUR (half day) US$30

Panoramic tour of Palma and external visit to the Bellver Castle to admire view over the town and bay. Free time in the Barrio Fotico and visit to the Gothic Cathedram, built in 1230 on the foundations of an ancient mosque. Continue to Plaza de Toros where the popular "corrida" is still held today.

(Note: to czechmate - don't quite know what would be worse - a cockfight in Antigua or a bullfight in Spain....lol)

2. MARINELAND (half day) US$34

An aquatic park rich in attractions. Amusing shows with parrots, seals and dolphins will be performed during the visit. Free time to walk around and visit the Aquarium and Tropical House.

3. HELICOPTER TOUR (half day) US$170

Breathtaking experience in a helicopter flying over Palma. (note: limited seats)

One more post to come......

There are a lot of excursions for you folks to consider! We will all have different expectations and wishes at to what would interest us. Some of us will not wish to do excursions in every port - personally, I'm very much of a 'walk, wander, wonder and soak up the local atmosphere' type. Do hope all the above posts will be helpful for your consideration.

Czechmate - thanks for offering to continue your research on our ports for possible alternatives - much appreciated.

In the meantime - I will 'grill' my MSC friend about Cadiz (I know he loves that port) and also any suggestions he might have for our limited time in both San Juan and Palma.

Fingers have just about dropped off now, fellow cruisers....so that's enough from me...happy reading!

35 sleeps......:D

UOTE=robynp]There are a lot of excursions for you folks to consider! We will all have different expectations and wishes at to what would interest us. Some of us will not wish to do excursions in every port - personally, I'm very much of a 'walk, wander, wonder and soak up the local atmosphere' type. Do hope all the above posts will be helpful for your consideration.

Czechmate - thanks for offering to continue your research on our ports for possible alternatives - much appreciated.

In the meantime - I will 'grill' my MSC friend about Cadiz (I know he loves that port) and also any suggestions he might have for our limited time in both San Juan and Palma.

Fingers have just about dropped off now, fellow cruisers....so that's enough from me...happy reading!

35 sleeps......:D

:)we followed you all the way...........GREAT work!:)

We have our "Glowing Amber" and after all that hard work Robyn you must be our "Sparkling Gem".:-) Thank you so very very much for all the info. It is much appreciated.

One thing I can see is that it is MUCH cheaper to do our own thing!!

We always have mixed feelings as to what to do in the ports. Like you we enjoy strolling and exploring and then another part says you have to get out there and see more! So true that we all have different expectations - and some people have been to some of the islands (or all of the islands) before.

Coral Ark sounds fun, and the music is always infectious. The guy I am dealing with in Antigua seems to have a sense of humour and I will put up here the info, soon. Just waiting for reply on one or two questions.

They say "Life is what you make it" and I really feel our little group are determined to "make our time together a GREAT experience". Folks can I say a big personal thank you for all the interest and the input - dare I say it your "joy of life".

Dear Friends,

in my just received booklet with excursions there are even more excusions then Robyn mentioned :p. The extra's are:

Antigua: (like the islanders say: AN-TI-GAH) there is a Stringway tour(half day $52 (by the way, I don't what it is)) and a catamaran/snorkling/beach -excursion (half day, $50).

Cadiz: Visit to Sevilla/Seville (whole day, incl lunch, $94), the hottest city in Europe , once measure 53 degree Celcius, somewhere in an august 195*, this is about 153 F !!:eek: Offcourse this very exceptional. Seville is a wonderfull city, with a lot of culture. See : http://www.turismo.sevilla.org !

Palma: Visiting "the caves of the dragon", Cuevas del Drach,(half day, $43), wich are beautifull, very deep, underearth caves. Enormous stalacmites/tites, a river and an undergrounlake. (been there 35 years ago).

So, ..... much to choose :)

For San Juan , I think we do the (self-)walking tour. I have a copy of the walkingtourmap you can get from the touristshop next to the harbor. The tour is about 3 kilometers, enough stops for a drink (Senor Frogg's), nice walkpath, along two fortress/castles/churches, probably still some shops open (it's evening, so..:confused:.). Maybe there are others, so we can walk together.:cool:, that's fun.

Henri.

We have our "Glowing Amber" and after all that hard work Robyn you must be our "Sparkling Gem".:-) Thank you so very very much for all the info. It is much appreciated.

Oooh czechmate - I'll be quite happy to be known as "Robyn - a.k.a. Sparkling Gem" What gal can resist anything remotely connected with a gemstone?

One thing I can see is that it is MUCH cheaper to do our own thing!! We always have mixed feelings as to what to do in the ports. Like you we enjoy strolling and exploring and then another part says you have to get out there and see more! So true that we all have different expectations - and some people have been to some of the islands (or all of the islands) before.

Yes, I wouldn't expect everyone to snap up either a ship tour or even our suggestions - sometimes it can become a chore and you end up rushing around every port and are exhausted at the end of the day. I'm not much of a fan of port-intensive cruises, funnily enough. It's the actual cruising I enjoy nowadays (easy to say when you have done a lot of cruises I suppose). As you can imagine - I'm going to be one happy cruiser when we hit all those 'sea days'!

Coral Ark sounds fun, and the music is always infectious.

It does sound fun doesn't it - maybe it's the unlimited drinks bit that grabbed MY attention....he,he.:rolleyes:

henri - many thanks for the additional info. Palma - not sure if that excursion would be available to us in the morning as we sail at 11am? San Juan - personally I think I'll only go ashore that night in the safety of the company of others - haven't heard great things about the waterfront area there :eek:

They say "Life is what you make it" and I really feel our little group are determined to "make our time together a GREAT experience". Folks can I say a big personal thank you for all the interest and the input - dare I say it your "joy of life".

czechmate - I think we owe YOU a personal thank you (and no doubt an umbrella drink ;)) for getting these threads underway in the beginning, for your organising of our St Thomas tour, your endless sense of humour and posts keeping our excitement level at almost fever pitch! So 'grazie mille' from me!

Ciao ciao

Our own little walking party in Puerto Rico sounds great. Henri and Robyn you have company!

Still waiting for information on some aspects but starting 2 new threads - one each for Antigua tour and Martinique tour.

Robyn like you those sea days are what we anticipate with real pleasure.

Just hope that the sea/weather will be really kind to us. Have decided will purchase "sea bands" in Fort Lauderdale. Hope that the old maxims will work - when you have insurance you never need it or It never rains when youi have an umbrella!

Hi Barry

Thanks for the offer of company on the San Juan walk - and yes, those 'sea days' will be terrific - will try to beat you to a deckchair!

Sea bands???? Am actually bringing with me, my travelling friend Deborah's panacea for all seasickness ills which is 'Relief Band' - battery operated. Not available in Australia, so she ordered one online last year from an NZ pharmacist - can you believe it :eek: and they worked wonders on the relatively bumpy passage from Tahiti to Cook Islands. She had previously found the 'sea bands' to be non-effective (for her) - or did she not drink enough champagne ;)...ha,ha

Me - sorry, I don't get seasick (hey, famous last words) - cut my cruising teeth back in the late 1960's aboard ships travelling the Great Australian Bight - without stabilizers :eek: - but, as you can expect - I'm an expert on how to combat seasickness :rolleyes:

But, as you say....bring seasickness pills/bands....you will never need them :)

Robyn - touch wood/knock on head - I too have never been sea sick even when we had to eat with the edge of the tables raised to retain plates glasses etc! ALWAYS take the sea sick pill with me though!

Must look out for those "relief bands" - had not heard of them before.

Strange that you could get them from NZ and not in Oz.

When I lived in Auckland - twice travelled to UK via Australia and South Africa on the beautiful "Dominion Monarch". Was on her very last voyage - a wonderful but sad farewell at every port. Masses of streamers from ship to dockside and bands playing "Now is the hour", "Wish me Luck as you wave me goodbye" "Auld Lang Syne" etc and every tug boat sailing out to sea with her hooting a farewell!

Hi Barry - oooo that was rather tearful, wonderful memories of sailing on those ships that hardly anyone has heard of these days :D

Hope "Dominion Monarch" bears/beared absolutely NO relation to "Ocean Monarch" which I sailed back to Oz in the 1970's :eek: - now there's another story to bore you with on our 'sea days'.

That NZ song "Now is the hour" is almost guaranteed to turn on the waterworks for me - except for sailing into Sydney Harbour pre-Xmas in the 1980's with Peter Allen's "I Still Call Australia Home" blaring from the decks of 'Canberra' (sniff) Can't listen to that song now without thinking of that wonderful sail-in. Do you think we might (remotely) have anything to talk about during our transatlantic....ha,ha.

As Bob Hope used to say..."Thanks for the Memories" that your post invoked. I'm going off to sob into my glass of champers now!!!

Those who said "Count us in" are:

Mary and Boro,

Carol and Mike a.k.a. Glowing Amber and Nigel,

Varadero (G and C)

Robyn

Vic and Carol

Henri and Marian

Joan and Neville

Rhona and Ken

Barry and Daniel

Greg and Jimmy

19 peoples!

Lets make it a DAY TO REMEMBER!

Those who said "Count us in" are:

Mary and Boro,

Carol and Mike a.k.a. Glowing Amber and Nigel,

Varadero (G and C)

Robyn

Vic and Carol

Henri and Marian

Joan and Neville

Rhona and Ken

Barry and Daniel

Greg and Jimmy

19 peoples!

Lets make it a DAY TO REMEMBER!

Thanks so much Barry - have a feeling, the way the group is interacting and getting excited about everything (and we haven't met, nor onboard yet) that EVERY day will be a day to remember on this crossing :D :D

Did a post here yesterday and it is floating around somewhere "out there".

Robyn - With our mixing and mingling crowd of fun people there may be some days folks wil not be able to remember next day! For sure though there is every reason to make each day both special and memorable!

Henri - your accent is so good! My British tongue has big troubles with czech words! My most used word "Nerozumem" - meaning I do not understand! Usual daytime greeting "Dobre Den" and in the evening "Dobre vecere". You must ask Daniel to say my favourite Czech tongue twister - there is NOT a vowel in any single word!

Ahoj (which is Bye)

One month today and we are all meeting on OPERA! After all these months it seems hard to believe!

P,S. I am not the alcoholic folk might be lead to believe from some of my posts on here. :-)

That's what all alcoholicy say !?!:D

Henri.

But Henri - you left out - champagne, margaritas, red, red wine. umbrella drinks :D :D

I'm not an alcoholic either - but, hey, I'll be on vacation :p

czechmate - maybe after a few drinks, you will speak fluent Czech, including the famous tongue-twister ;)

Tinkle,tinkle...ah, the sound of icecubes in a cocktail glass...he,he

"Sparkling Gem"

Archived