Book Now Or Wait...

Ivy1908

I've never booked Early Saver rate before but the lady at Carnival said it is the best value right now. Has anyone ever booked "Early Saver" and if so what did you think?

I'm wondering if I should just wait to book closer to the time of the cruise (May 2011)? :confused:

I always book Early Saver. I get to pick my cabin, if the price of the cruise goes down I get Onboard Credit to spend on the ship, if it goes up mine doesn't.

If I have to cancel (haven't yet--knock wood--I would lose $50 and rest of deposit could be used for another cruise within a year or two. I know I would use it, too. I like to pick my cabin.

Thanks for the advice. I've sailed midship and forward before and I enjoyed both. My last cruise on the Freedom I was on deck 9 Lido forward and I was kinda worried but it was a great location and I found a cabin in the same area available for the 8 day on the Freedom.:D

Before you pick your cabin check the deck plans. I try to get a cabin with cabins above and below (no disco, pool, moving deck chairs, piano bar, etc) and I like to have something mid-ships. I don't really care how high or low the deck is.

What about if you see an advertised price that is lower offered by Carnival, like one of their email promotions, but it says for new bookings only. Can you still get the price drop? My PVP, says yes... I'm wondering if she understands my question.

I booked ES for our honeymoon cruise, paid 80%, and then the couple that was going with us, decided that they couldn't travel during that time of year, and we all rescheduled, Carnival was very understanding, and charged us each 50.00. No more will I schedule with someone who just says, oh yeah, we want to go, doesn't matter when.:rolleyes:

What about if you see an advertised price that is lower offered by Carnival, like one of their email promotions, but it says for new bookings only. Can you still get the price drop? My PVP, says yes... I'm wondering if she understands my question.

The "for new bookings only" caveat does NOT apply to Early Saver.

Be aware that for bookings like CashBack and OBC, the price-matching method is a little different than just filing to ask for the price difference.

ken

Our first cruise, we booked ES and are saving over $300! And we got to pick our room so no bad news here!:)

Here's how I look at ES as this is a prime example. I view it as you didn't "save" $300" but you didn't have to shop the deal hard to get the lowest price.

An example of this was my current booking. I shopped it pretty hard and booked ES just prior to expiration. The price then skyrocketed (those that booked it paid too much) and now the prices are a tad bit higher than what I paid (about $10-$20 pp).

The people that booked a long way out or paid the exaggerated price (I don't think many would have paid the prices that I saw) might view the reduction as a savings but I would not. If one does not pay attention to the pricing, it just makes it easier but doesn't necessarily "save" you money.

The "for new bookings only" caveat does NOT apply to Early Saver.

Be aware that for bookings like CashBack and OBC, the price-matching method is a little different than just filing to ask for the price difference.

ken

So would it be just a regular price drop that I would see when looking at on line rates. How do you price match ES?

So would it be just a regular price drop that I would see when looking at on line rates. How do you price match ES?

When you book Early Saver you're not only concerned with drops in the Early Saver Rate itself (which goes away in 3 months cruises 5 days or less and in 5 months cruises 6 days or more) but you also want to monitor drops for any rates that you're eligible for, including the FunSelect Rate, Past Guest Rate (if you're a Past guest), the 55+ Rate (if you're 55+), the Resident Rate for your State of Residence, and the Military Rate (if you're military eligible). If the Past Guest rate drops below your current ES rate, and you’re a Past Guest, you get that rate. Same for FunSelect, 55+, Resident and Military Rate drops. Remember that the price protection is for same ship, same dates, same Cabin Category and same number of passengers (the adjustment is for the combined PAX 1 and PAX 2 rates AND the PAX 3 (if any) and PAX 4 (if any) rates. The Early Saver Price Protection is ONLY for Carnival-advertised rates.

You can monitor Military Rates on any of the several on-line sites that display Military Rates; you cannot determine these rates on carnival.com, only by calling Carnival.

Once Booked Early Saver, You can check the Past Guest, 55+ and Resident Promo Rates daily using the Quick Search Box on carnival.com .

Use the blue QUICK SEARCH Box on Carnival.com Home Page to fill-in your cruise information (Month/year, Embarkation Port, Destination, Cruise Length). Select the "Special Rates" link and always select your State of Residence from the drop-down list, and select the promo rates (Past Guest, 55+) that you're eligible for,. Click on the SEARCH link.

Enter all the required info for your number of passengers, Category etc. and find your cruise, then look at all the rates that you're eligible for (including Early Saver) and see if they're lower than your ES rate. If so: if you booked via Carnival you can file a Price Adjustment Request form - it you booked via TA the TA is supposed to file it for you.

ken

I know this was covered on another thread but this happened to me today. I have two cabins booked and I check the CCL website and saw the cabin price per person was lower but ultimately the taxes and fees were higher thus the new cruise price was higher than my original cost.

That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Archived