Another ? About Fins

AOCSWife

I have diabetic neuropathy in my legs and feet. I love to snorkel but only do it when we go on vacation. The first time I was with someone who said their feet were starting to hurt so check mine (I have no feeling) sure enough I was starting to get a blister. On our next vacation DH and I did a snorkeling excursion in Grand Cayman (not very long at all). That night I noticed something off with my right toenail. I took the polish off and sure enough it was black. A few weeks later it fell off completely. I have had this problem with shoes as well. They crush my toes and I can’t feel it. Our next vacation is coming up and I do plan on buying my own equipment. I will visit a local dive shop. My question is what type of fins are available for someone with my medical problem? I need something where the toes are open. In fact, the less touching my feet the better. Another thought is do I need fins or could I go without them?:confused: I am just wondering if I have options that won’t break the bank. I have to wear medical shoes which can cost me over $300 a pair.

These fins may meet your needs, I cannot imagine how they could cause blisters they are a compression fit and will not slip super comfortable.

We use Alpha fins http://www.swim2000.com/product/aquasphere-alpha-fins/

they float and will not chaff, they are made of the same soft material as crocs. They do not place the same amount of stress on your joints like full size fins so you can swim longer without the risk of cramping if you are not used to using fins or conditioning is not that high. Since they are not a full size fin they are very easy to pack.

I can swim free style while snorkeling which allows me to cover long distances fast. You can swim out to the dive boats and beyond with ease if you are a competent swimmer.

Here is a link to socks for flippers. they will protect your feet if you rent or buy standard fins

http://www.swim2000.com/product/spee...ocks-for-fins/

I believe these fins will be okay, you do not need socks. They compress around your feet so your toes or at least my toes do not move around the way they do in regular fins.

With regular fins when you kick the fin ( flipper part) tarnsfers the torque into the toe area so your toes push against the inside pocket when the fins flex (curve) at the tip of the toe area. This would cause your toenails to rub against the hard rubber.

These have a much shorter and narrower fin area so there is reduced torque / force on the foot, the side edges of the fin flex so it passes through the water, not ridged like full fins.

They are excellent for snorkling if you were scuba diving or even free diving they do not generate close to the force of regular fins when doing a dolphin kick but equal on top of the water as you can kick faster with less resistance then with full fins. You can tread water with these with ease as well.

Archived