NCL /BerkeleyCare

Disabled & Abused

IF you are disabled, chances are you will not succeed in making a claim for trip cancellation with the NCL FS Travel Protection Plan. The plan 'does NOT contain a waiver of pre-existing conditions.' Should you file a claim, preexisting conditions will be construed so broadly that you will loose. Further, BerkeleyCare will give you quite a run-around before you finally realize that BerkeleyCare processes their own appeals. NO independent oversight. :mad:

READ the NCL contract - you may need to purchase a liability insurance plan just to protect yourself should anything untoward happen re the cruise and you be suspected as part of the problem. The contact appears to literally cite every incident that ever occurred on a NCL ship and attempts to make you financially responsible for the consequences. :(

Every insurance contract is regulated by your state's dept. of insurance, so depending on your state's laws, you may be able to gain some relief there, depending on your individual circumstances.

Pre-existing condition exclusions are rather common in insurance contracts of all kinds and are clearly disclosed in the plan documents. Maybe if you could give more detail on your specific circumstances, we could try and figure out if your condition/cancellation should or should not have been included under the exclusion.

I looked over the NCL contract of carriage, and I can't quite see what you are talking about with being liable for anything that could happen aboard the ship. I did see a clause stating that if you damage the ship or injure another guest, NCL isn't taking the fall. Really, it almost isn't necessary to include this in the contract, as this is what you would be liable for anyway... (e.g. If I went to a friend's house, got drunk, burnt down the kitchen and then slandered a fellow guest, my friend quite rightly is going to find me liable, and that is what a court would rule.)

IF you are disabled, chances are you will not succeed in making a claim for trip cancellation with the NCL FS Travel Protection Plan. The plan 'does NOT contain a waiver of pre-existing conditions.' Should you file a claim, preexisting conditions will be construed so broadly that you will loose. Further, BerkeleyCare will give you quite a run-around before you finally realize that BerkeleyCare processes their own appeals. NO independent oversight. :mad:

READ the NCL contract - you may need to purchase a liability insurance plan just to protect yourself should anything untoward happen re the cruise and you be suspected as part of the problem. The contact appears to literally cite every incident that ever occurred on a NCL ship and attempts to make you financially responsible for the consequences. :(

The PA dept of insurance makes it very easy to dispute a claims decision. Go here:

https://www.insurance.state.pa.us/dsf/complaintform.html

Submit the form and away you go. If you've got a legitimate gripe they'll make sure you get proper treatment.

As far as the NCL plan description of coverage, it's about as standard as it gets both in their definition of "pre-existing condition" and in the claims procedure. I do hope it was explained to you that even if your claim was denied you still have coming to you a future cruise credit equal to 75% or 90% of your penalties (depending on the level of coverage you purchased).

Archived