A minor puzzle about QM2

Cruachan

Since we returned from QM2, something has been puzzling me and I wondered if any of our local experts could come up with an answer. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I spent the odd half hour playing scrabble in one or other of the games areas on Two Deck (I think it was).

With the exception of the outside decks, these areas seemed to be, without doubt, the coldest parts of the ship. Even on days when, outside, the temperature was in the 80s with high humidity, those areas were chilly. Does anyone have a rational explanation as to why this is the case? Is it always like that in that particular section of the ship? Are Cunard actively chilling those areas to drive people away from playing games and get them into the bars? :D:D

J

Should I admit to turning the thermostats down to ensure finding a seat along my favorite quiet corridors on QM2? No, probably not, especially because I didn't. But it's a good idea, so next time I shall search out the thermostats and you wear a sweater.

With the exception of the outside decks, these areas seemed to be, without doubt, the coldest parts of the ship. Even on days when, outside, the temperature was in the 80s with high humidity, those areas were chilly. Does anyone have a rational explanation as to why this is the case? Is it always like that in that particular section of the ship? Are Cunard actively chilling those areas to drive people away from playing games and get them into the bars? :D:D

J

Interesting. You mentioned high humidity outside, but not in area in question which indicates humidity control. I have also noted that area has low humidity and cooler temperatures even in tropical ports. Perhaps the temperature in that area is kept cooler in order to allow for temperature/humidity exchange, i.e. on one side of that area is windows to the sea, and on the internal side are theaters/computer labs etc.

Another possiblity: an effort was made to have a place for passengers who enjoy cool temperatures with low humidity when playing board games next to a window seat have a place to while away the half hours. :)

Is that area well occupied on Crossings? I've rarely seen it well occupied on Caribbean, Canada/New England cruises. Most often it was used as a pleasant waiting area.

BTW, what is that area called?

Cheers,

Salacia

Interesting. You mentioned high humidity outside, but not in area in question which indicates humidity control. I have also noted that area has low humidity and cooler temperatures even in tropical ports. Perhaps the temperature in that area is kept cooler in order to allow for temperature/humidity exchange, i.e. on one side of that area is windows to the sea, and on the internal side are theaters/computer labs etc.

Another possiblity: an effort was made to have a place for passengers who enjoy cool temperatures with low humidity when playing board games next to a window seat have a place to while away the half hours. :)

Is that area well occupied on Crossings? I've rarely seen it well occupied on Caribbean, Canada/New England cruises. Most often it was used as a pleasant waiting area.

BTW, what is that area called?

Cheers,

Salacia

As Michael says (and according to the deck plans), it's called "Deck 3L" and I've mostly found every chair occupied on crossings, with standing room around the puzzles. It's a lovely place to sit and stare at the water and do nothing...

As Michael says (and according to the deck plans), it's called "Deck 3L" and I've mostly found every chair occupied on crossings, with standing room around the puzzles. It's a lovely place to sit and stare at the water and do nothing...

Hi NomDePlume. Thanks for your response. I'm learning more and more about the difference between Transalantic crossing experience and other voyages/cruises.

I must confess that "standing room around the puzzles" is difficult for me to understand: does that mean that people stand and watch people working on puzzles? -Or people wait in line for a puzzle ?

I share your feeling that this area is a lovey space. Whenever I have been there, it was quiet and uncrowded---the exception being when it was occupied by disembarking passengers.

Yes, this is an area is on Deck 3L as shown on deck plans. But I seem to remember that this particular area is called something more specific than Deck 3L, but I yield to your better knowledge.

Regards,

Salacia

Archived