So Confused about Trip Insurance...can U explain?

jilliebeanie

I've been reading through the threads on trip insurance and I'm still confused on several points.

Here is my situation: We are leaving on RCL on 10/17/10 out of Puerto Rico. My father is dying. We don't know when he will pass but it could be any day. We have not purchased trip insurance yet. Is it too late? what is covered? What if he passes while we're on the cruise? Will it cover our airfare? Can we get the insurance for just one person in our party (me) or does it have to cover everyone?

See? I'm really confused. Our TA gave us Berkeley Care's number and I've been looking at insuremytrip.com but I guess I just don't get it.

TIA for any insights/explanations for my poor, overwhelmed brain.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Unfortunately, since you are well past final payment, there is understandably no insurance available that will cover you in the event of your father's death. The best insurance can do for you is provide emergency overseas travel services (which would buy tickets you would have to pay for), but I'm guessing that the purser's desk could also help you with that for free.

Of course, you can still get the other benefits of insurance (medical coverage, medevac, trip delay, etc.) you just won't be covered for a cancellation in the event of the death of your father.

Kindest Regards,

SirWired

Shoot! I hope you are still reading this!

I just remembered that not all insurance providers apply the pre-ex exclusion to family members NOT traveling with you. I think Travelex is one of those providers. I'd call an insurance broker like insuremytrip on the phone to verify.

SirWired

Archived