The all time SMOKING???

We avoid balcony cabins. We were once offered a free upgrade to a balcony (and a full refund of our inside) if we accepted a move over offer. We turned it down for various reasons' date=' including that we didn't want a balcony.[/quote']

Ok....you have GOT to elaborate a bit here.....as am I reading this correctly in that you had the chance for a "free" upgrade to a balcony along with a refund for what you had paid for an "inside" cabin? And that your reason was that you didn't "want" a balcony?

Tell me this does NOT have to do with smoking? I mean I can understand that some may choose to book inside cabins for pricing issues BUT to choose NOT to have a balcony for the same or less money? I don't get it!

So tell me what I am missing....

Ok....you have GOT to elaborate a bit here.....as am I reading this correctly in that you had the chance for a "free" upgrade to a balcony along with a refund for what you had paid for an "inside" cabin? And that your reason was that you didn't "want" a balcony?

Tell me this does NOT have to do with smoking? I mean I can understand that some may choose to book inside cabins for pricing issues BUT to choose NOT to have a balcony for the same or less money? I don't get it!

Yeah, I'm missing something too. A free upgrade to a balcony would seem a win-win. You would have a better view outside, and have a balcony to use if you so desire. Having a balcony doesn't mean you have to open the door and step outside. Even if you never stepped outside, wouldn't the view alone be worth the free upgrade? I don't get it either.

We came home the day before our first Princess cruise to find a message on our answering machine saying that no worries, we still have our cabin, but the ship is overbooked and if we would consider postponing our cruise for a few weeks, we would get a full refund (yes, that's right) and be given a balcony.

We had booked an inside cabin, lowest category, about two weeks before the sailing date through a friends and family discount. Someone who had worked for my hubby at the time knew that we were interested in trying Princess after several Carnival cruises. His girlfriend (they did get married the next year, but she divorced him when he kept re-upping in the military) worked for Princess in some capacity and had a few extra of the discounts. We ended up getting this cruise for a total (excluding taxes) of under $800 for the three of us for a Valentine's Week Mexican Riviera cruise. So under $300 for each of us.

Since we live about an hour's drive from the port, we didn't have flights or hotels to change. But we decided not to change our plans for these reasons:

1) we were packed and ready to go

2) already got my daughter's kindergarten homework packet (yes, they get HW in kinder nowadays)

3) this was a few weeks before the war against Iraq was to begin and a couple of hubby's workers, including the one mentioned above, were with the military; he figured if they got deployed, his area would be shorthanded

4) with an active 5-yr-old, we figured why risk her climbing on furniture and getting hurt or worse

5) we have always booked insides or OVs with the idea of trying to be out of our cabin all the time anyway

6) hubby likes a dark room to sleep in (he used to work the graveyard shift so he installed blackout curtains in our bedroom and disconnected the doorbell so he can sleep during the day)

And as I said, we really didn't pay very much (relatively speaking).

It could be possible that we were contacted because the amount they would refund would be pretty low, and that they knew we lived close by (so they wouldn't have to kick in money for helping us change our flights). Hubby thinks a reason they needed another cabin was that the terrorism alert went up to orange a week before so it could be possible the line wanted to put more security onboard.

We had never thought about the smoking angle until I started reading on CC about passengers having problems with smokers on surrounding balconies. I pointed out to my hubby that we have another reason not to book a balcony and he agreed.

We came home the day before our first Princess cruise to find a message on our answering machine saying that no worries' date=' we still have our cabin, but the ship is overbooked and [b']if we would consider postponing our cruise for a few weeks[/b], we would get a full refund (yes, that's right) and be given a balcony.

This makes better sense. The way your first post was written, I had the impression that this was on the same cruise and you refused an upgrade from an inside to a balcony. Having the complete story is helpful. It's not the balcony you passed on - it's postponing the cruise until weeks later. I, too, would probably pass on an upgrade if it meant switching cruises. When plans have been made, clothing packed, it's not so easy to "upgrage" to a cruise that is a few weeks later.

As for your hubby wanting a dark room to sleep, I'm the same way. But, the curtains in every balcony room I have ever stayed in had black out panels that, when positioned properly, did a good job of keeping the light out and the dark in.

Thanks for clarifying your reasons.

5) we have always booked insides or OVs with the idea of trying to be out of our cabin all the time anyway

I'm always amused when I read a comment like this, or the often repeated "we don't spend very much time in our stateroom". You are in your stateroom much more than you may want to believe - probably at least 10 hours in there each day. Of course, you sleep for around 8 hours. "But I don't need a view when I'm sleeping", you say? True, but by leaving the curtains open at night your last view before closing your eyes could be the moon and it's relection on the water passing outside your room, and in the morning your first view upon waking could be a beautiful sunrise, passing ships, the coastline, or the skyline of your next port of call. As you prepare for your day's activities, you would have the view everytime you turned towards the windows. When you return to your stateroom to drop something off, pick something up, or just for a quiet break, your view would be there each time. When you return to your cabin to prepare for dinner, again you would be able to enjoy your view. What I am trying to say is each and every time you are in your stateroom you could be enjoying being out on the ocean, which, after all, is the biggest component of being on a cruise ship.

So, if you prefer an inside stateroom, be honest - it's not because you won't be spending much time in your room. It's because you either can't afford the more expensive room, or you are thrifty and don't want to pay for it. And there is nothing wrong with either of these reasons. I can't afford a suite, and I certainly won't pay the extra fare to stay in one.

But to say that it's because you aren't in your room that much, that's like saying "I don't go ashore when in port because I won't there that long".

I was told the last time we had a balcony room that one side of the ship was no-smoking and the other was smoking?? Carnival told me this...what side is what??? Need to know before I book again and spend extra money for a balcony I cant use.. ASTHMA....:confused:

I don't think it pertains to the balconies, on most ships there is smoking allowed on the open decks on one side and no smoking on the other. With the balconies, some lines allow you to smoke on the balconies regardless of which side you are on while others do not allow smoking regardless of the side that you are on.

I have been a smoker for 64 years. I remember the days where the non smokers went outside. :) I do try to respect the non addicted in all situations. I do wonder about the sensitivity of folks when someone is smoking on the balcony of the ship while it is moving along at almost 30 mph and the breeze is pretty stiff outside. Considering the fact that breathing the air in LA is equivalent to smoking three packs a day (govt. stats) and the polluted air just about anywhere people congregate with cars, trucks, forest fires, etc. causes breathing issues, makes me wonder just have many folks are operating on a mental level rather than physical. If it is truly physical, I have great sensitivity for you. Communication with the smokers is a real issue and, some are not very caring about your feelings. With that being said, I am on Carnival next month. I will still have my morning coffee and smoke on the fantail at sunrise. The rest of the time I will have my e-cig in my mouth. Not only for the nicotine fix but for the reactions of the paranoid non smokers. Should create some interesting conversation at the very least. :cool:

My husband just bought the e-cigarette and plans on using it on our cruise in Dec. Let me know what kind of reaction you get.

I can think of something not mentioned so far. The smoke would be pushed iowards the rear of the ship by the ship's forward motion. The further towards the front your cabin is I'd the less likely you are to be bothered by smokers, unless they are next door. Anyhow good luck if you are on a cruise line that allows smoking on balconies and cabins.

We are going to have our first balcony in December on Voyager and I hope it is not ruined by a constant smoker whose smoke finds it way over into my breathing space. If it does, I will just have to start my wonderful singing.

I am so wonderful that I was told to lip sync in church and couldn't even make third grade choir. But that smoke may just inspire me to tune up the old vocal chords. It will be interesting to see who gets to enjoy the balcony.

I'm assuming you feel your singing is obnoxious enough to cause the smoker to stop smoking? I smoke; I book a balcony; I always use my MP-3 player and my earbuds. You would present no problem for me and will not disrupt my enjoyment of my balcony. However, you might want to think about the response from your neighbor on the other side, above you and below you who just might report you to security. Best of luck. With your attitude, you'll need it.

Archived