Is port play = free play? And a question about kids clubs in general

European_CruiseGirl

We are cruising on NCL in spring 2011 (Venice RT 7days) with our DD and my parents. Our DD will be 2 years 11 months by then. We are doing some private tours while on port but only half day tours so our DD might have some time to participate on "port play" after our tours.

Now I am actually hoping that port play would be just free play as our DD does not speak english. She already speaks two languages but none on them is english so it might be difficult (if not impossible) for her to participate in some of the kids clubs activities (storytelling, various games etc) as she will not understand a word the counselors and other children are saying. :( Still we would like to try the kids club as she enjoys very much the company of other children. :)

So my second question is: do you think that participating in a kids club will work at all for a child who does not speak english? I'm willing to give it a try but don't actually know what to expect. :o

My kids only speak English, now starting to learn Spanish and French. But when thye were younger on holidays they found themselves in kids clubs with mainly German and French speaking kids yet they still managed to have a good time and make friends. Kids games are pretty much the same the world over

We were on the Gem in August on a B2B out of Venice (twice).

There were far more Spanish and Italian kids than English speaking ones. They make general announcements to the kids in the major languages. The staff was wonderful and kids of all ages and nationalities seemed to be having a great time.

Archived