Formal dining room dress code?

Andrea1970

We are traveling on the Elation next week and I'm wondering about the formality of both the formal and regular dinners in the formal dining room.

My dh doesn't own ANY dark suits and I feel lucky he has a nice summer jacket that he will wear. I had planned to have him wear that as that is our only option. Will that be appropriate for formal night? (he wore the same jacket on the RCL Rhapsody a few years ago) What about for regular meals? I had planned on khakis and polo shirts. I remember one night (maybe the last night on RCL) we dressed more casually- shorts, but nice ones with a short sleeve button up shirt. Any advice? We don't want to look like scum, but he isn't a really dressy person to begin with (jeans/polos are his daily wear) and I'm 6months preg and limited to my fashion choices, too.

(I plan to wear a few skirts/dresses and then capris and such for most dinners.)

Khaki's and polos will fit right in on non-formal nights in the dining room. On formal nights, he'll probably feel underdressed without a suit but if he's ok with that I doubt anything else will happen.

For what it's worth, all my friends and myself sound like your husband (jeans and t-shirts or polo shirts every day), and to us it was worth the $150 or so to get an inexpensive suit at the local Men's Warehouse (or whatever you have where you live) when we each took our own cruises. Even though we only wore it for a few hours each formal night I think it enhanced the evening. Plus, he's got one available for special events like weddings or anniversaries, or not so special events (funerals)..

By the way, I hope you're under the 27 week limit on your pregnancy when you set sail or Carnival might turn you away..

* Evening Attire *

Cruise Length Casual Nights Informal Nights Formal Nights

6 Nights 2 2 2

7 Nights 3 2 2

8 Nights 3 3 2

10 Nights 5 2 3

11 Nights 5 3 3

12 Nights 6 3 3

13 Nights 7 3 3

14 Nights 7 4 3

17 Nights 9 5 3

Casual Nights

Men - Sport Shirt and Slacks

Women - Pantsuit, Skirt and Blouse or Casual (sun) Dress

Informal Nights

Men - Jacket, Shirt and Tie

Women - Suit or Dress

Formal Nights

Men - Tuxedo or Suit and Tie

Women - Evening Gown or Cocktail Dress

(Jeans are frowned upon in the main dinning rooms at all times)

Archived