Adventures on the Carnival Conquest… a review of the Sep 26 7 day cruise to Cozumel

*Mach*

Leaving home, Galveston and Texas behind is still a bit hard regardless of what a wonderful adventure lies ahead of us but, hey, ya’ gotta do what ya’ gotta do. So, as we made the turn to starboard and headed out into the Gulf of Mexico no one spent a second looking back. Before us lay the deep blue water, white sand beaches and plenty of tropical sun.

In the shallower waters that hide the Continental Shelf in the Northern Gulf the water is, on average, about 500 feet deep and keeps that olive-drab green color that we can’t wait to leave behind. It’s not the muddy green brown of the channel and bay but has a cleaner, clearer look. Beyond the shelf is the Continental Slope sliding gradually down to 9000 feet, home of that remarkable blue that lifts my spirits so.

CraziesSep26053.jpg

On this voyage we would have to wait ‘til the morning for that view. The sunset was at 7:11 PM, far too early.

In lieu of the blue we got another little treat. From behind us came the boat to retrieve the pilot who had guided the Conquest from shore to open water. It reminded us of a voyage on the Dream last November when we witnessed much the same thing but in far more adverse conditions…

CraziesSep26057.jpg

Dream226.jpg

On the whole, I was happy we were on the Conquest.

Following the pilot’s transfer and the pilot boat heading toward Galveston we figured a cocktail was in order and we decided on the Lobby bar in the Atrium. We were greeted by a delightful young lady named Mignon from the Philippines. She was great fun and took and immediate liking to our mascots, Captain Pazzo (Italian for Crazy…) and his Rasta man parrot buddy, Machimo Marino.

CraziesSep26072.jpg

These two go where ever the Crazies go as do their cousins. Folks love these little guys and they’re instant conversation starters. They’re the Crazies Ambassadors of Good Will, I guess you could say.

Did something happen while we were on the cruise. I am surprised at some of the hostility expressed to Host Mach and Crazies upon our return ... not just from this thread.

I can't speak to that at all. I got a lot of hugs and high fives during debark and the shore side agents thanked the Crazies profusely for our support of the crew.

Earlier in the cruise one of the organizers approached me and said 'Are you one of those Platinum people??' Obviously, he had no clue of what Platinum meant but considered it some suspect relationship with Carnival.

By the way, Fly, that issue during embark with Karen has made its way to Miami. That's no way to treat ANY guest regardless of how many sailings with Carnival they've done.

I can't speak to that at all. I got a lot of hugs and high fives during debark and the shore side agents thanked the Crazies profusely for our support of the crew.

By the way, Fly, that issue during embark with Karen has made its way to Miami. That's no way to treat ANY guest regardless of how many sailings with Carnival they've done.

I did make sure and double thank my waiter and my cabin steward, both of whom were great.

Thanks for reporting it. I guess I just didnt know that Karen wasnt allowed to wait for me inside (though it was ok before when they used to let you line up inside). Must be some new rule.

As you can see it wasnt just her that they would not allow to wait inside the terminal.

We had a rude encounter with Dragon Lady too, but guess she was doing her job, just rude going about it. She told us we could NOT go up the escalator with the baby in a stroller that we had to take the elevator...well, we had NO intentions of taking the baby up the escalator. About this time, my son discovered he had forgotten his sunglasses and his wife did not want to go up without him, so DL started yelling at us to go to the elevator, that we were NOT allowed in this secured area. So, we went back outside to wait in the heat...heat is just not the same when your NOT on the ship! :D I know she was only doing her job, but she didnt have to be so rude about it!

I do think some were upset Crazies had a good time. I think Crazies knew you would have a talk with them if they dared to join the protestors. :D (sorry, just teasing you, but Crazies knew it was hurricane season, and you had well prepared them)

CraziesSep26011.jpg

Don't know who the bald guy on the left side of the pic is but two comments:

1) Awesome outfit. No where but on a cruise can one so successfully blend two totally clashing print fabrics and get away with it. :D:D:D

2) Seeing that outfit made me yearn even more for my cruise :( I have one that is just as -ahem- matching :)

P.S Love how he found a matching cup for his drink that goes with his outfit - kudos!!

Don't know who the bald guy on the left side of the pic is but two comments:

1) Awesome outfit. No where but on a cruise can one so successfully blend two totally clashing print fabrics and get away with it. :D:D:D

2) Seeing that outfit made me yearn even more for my cruise :( I have one that is just as -ahem- matching :)

P.S Love how he found a matching cup for his drink that goes with his outfit - kudos!!

That's Blaster Dave. He's our Guidon, keeper of the Crazies flag when on board. Sadly, he couldn't make this cruise but we know he was there in spirit.

Yep... he has a way with clothes and we love him for it!

:)

WOW!!! 7 pages and I think I saw like 3 posts from Mach!!

Ha Ha Sara!!! My thoughts exactly...I was actually really looking forward to this review, but I also knew it was going to be a little contraversal at the same time.:p

Awesome Mach! Loving the additional review posted! I'm so ready for our 1st cruise coming up, but after reading your review of sail away.... Man, I am so ready! I am pumped! :D Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Awesome Mach! Loving the additional review posted! I'm so ready for our 1st cruise coming up, but after reading your review of sail away.... Man, I am so ready! I am pumped! :D Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for sharing!!!

You'll have a phenomenal time.

The Conquest is gorgeous, even to someone who's sailed on her six times.

The Captain, Sammartano, is wonderful and the staff is brilliant.

Please say hi to Chris and Sam for me and all of the Crazies. We love those guys!!!

Hey Mach,

I see you guys are cruising out on the Dream on 11/6...

Are you arriving the day prior? Any chance of a gathering, would love to join it as I live nearby?

How is Dave going to get the flags to the ship? If I can help, please ask. If he wants to ship them to me, I can bring them over the night prior to sailing.

Lastly, shuttle launch scheduled for 11/1...with bad weather 11/5 or 11/6 launch is not out of the realm of possibility

Thanks for sharing!!!

Hey Meyer fancy seeing you here, I see we are both excited about our cruise!!:D:D:D

Hey Mach,

I see you guys are cruising out on the Dream on 11/6...

Are you arriving the day prior? Any chance of a gathering, would love to join it as I live nearby?

How is Dave going to get the flags to the ship? If I can help, please ask. If he wants to ship them to me, I can bring them over the night prior to sailing.

Lastly, shuttle launch scheduled for 11/1...with bad weather 11/5 or 11/6 launch is not out of the realm of possibility

Sadly, we can't do the sailing on the Dream. I've handed the reigns over to a great friend and fellow Crazie, Floatie...

Hey Mach, great review.....as always. I'm so excited to see what I missed.

I do have a question.....:confused::confused: didn't you leave out some special details about a "special" presentation that was done at the pool at the Hilton??? Or is that hush hush?? ;):p

I was thinking the same thing Julie, guess I need to read further to see Mach's response or see if he is just "ignoring" this LMAO!!

Great review as always Mach. Sorry we could not make it but we are sailing on the Conquest in a few more weeks. Looks like y'all had a rocking and rolling good time.

Taking note's, will be on the look out for the dragon lady. Hopefully the VIP embarkation will go better for use with fewer Platium guests.

I can't agree more!! I usually don't say much but I do enjoy host Mach's writing. My dh and I will be on the Conquest again on the 21 of Nov. and I will enjoy reading everything I can about this great ship!!!

ruthie101,

We will be on the Conquest with you and your dh on 21Nov10 for the 5th time. We have always had a great crew, good food, and had a great time inspite of weather, etc. Last November when we were on the Veteran's Cruise Hurricane (not a tropical storm) Ida blew up almost overnight, we had rough seas, and the like, and it turned out being one of the best cruises we have ever had--we were with good friends (that we didn't know when we boarded), and everyone took it all in stride. Look forward to meeting you in November.

Archived