UK Travel insurance.............HELP please

uk-ladies

I'm really stuck on this! We've looked at so many "compare" sites and I really don't know what I need here. Our cruise was a RCCL package booked through a TA here in the UK by credit card. I assume we need insurance to cover all of the cost including shore excursions and on board wine packages etc?? Obviously we need a cancellation, baggage and medical cover. So can anyone suggest a site/company that they have used in the past (I think thats allowed as I've requested it:confused:) Any help would be appreciated thankyou.

I'm really stuck on this! We've looked at so many "compare" sites and I really don't know what I need here. Our cruise was a RCCL package booked through a TA here in the UK by credit card. I assume we need insurance to cover all of the cost including shore excursions and on board wine packages etc?? Obviously we need a cancellation, baggage and medical cover. So can anyone suggest a site/company that they have used in the past (I think thats allowed as I've requested it:confused:) Any help would be appreciated thankyou.

My niece used direct travel for her insurance cover for her family for our upcoming caribbean cruise. She compared loads of sites and found that they gave her the cover she wanted at a good price.

My niece used direct travel for her insurance cover for her family for our upcoming caribbean cruise. She compared loads of sites and found that they gave her the cover she wanted at a good price.

We too use Direct Travel, although thankfully I haven't needed it, years ago, my husband needed it when he broke his leg skiing. He didn't have to pay anything up front, they arranged for the doctors at the hospital he was at to speak with english doctors to consult with one another and he had a nurse accompany him back on the flight (as well as a row of seats to himself) - they are reasonable and only a minor charge to cover pre-existing conditions (like asthma) we take out annual coverage each time.

Good luck

I have an annual policy covering cruises & other trips with http://www.insureandgo.com/travel-insurance/annual-travel-insurance.htm

They also offer single-trip insurance & different premuims/levels of cover

Can't comment on their handling of claims cos I've never made one.

Things to note:

Some companies/policies exclude cruising, so check carefully.

Or have a different policy for cruises- that's OK for a single trip but too restrictive for an annual policy.

Pay great attention to terms affecting your failure to get to the airport/ship on time, which can really screw up your holiday. Generally you're ok if public transport breaks down but not if you get stuck in a traffic jam

Some sections of all policies/insurance companies are hardly worth the paper they're written on, such as pitiful payouts for delayed aircraft departure etc.

But the main concerns are cancellation costs or medical problems, these are the two most expensive hazards. For medical problems/bereavement, make sure they cover you for expenses or curtailed trip due to problems with your travelling companions or with relatives/business associates at home.

Have you checked that your E1-11 (NHS card for treatment, broadly in EU countries) is valid?

If you have already paid money which is at risk, eg deposit, then you should insure soonest. With a single-trip policy it will cost you no more to do it now than in a month's time, but cover starts when you take out the policy. And you'll kick yourself if you don't sort it now & you walk under a bus next week.

With an annual policy, the clock starts running when you take it out - though its still best to cover as soon as you shell out money at risk.

Everything I've written is in general terms, there's a lot of minor variations.

John Bull

There is a fantastic guide to travel insurance on Martin Lewes's website - Money Saving Expert . com - there are loads of links to other websites and good advice. I recommend a look at it. I saved a bundle on my last trip using his site!

Natwest doesn't have free travel Insurance as far as we know. :confused:

I have free travel insurance from natwest. I also have it from Amex platinum. Natwest is more generous on several aspects.

It is with my bank account- I pay about £300 a year and get insurance, mobile cover etc as part if it.

I always have travel insurance and oh boy was I glad on the last cruise.

My son & I were on Oasis B2B and we got word his girlfriend was ill at home and he needed to get back to the UK to look after her.

Luckily we were on the first half of the B2B which was the 4 nighter and he was able to get off the ship on turnaround day and get back to the UK.

As I have an Amex Platinum card which has the free travel insurance (the card costs £££), everything was covered. Phew :D

I have free travel insurance from natwest. I also have it from Amex platinum. Natwest is more generous on several aspects.

It is with my bank account- I pay about £300 a year and get insurance, mobile cover etc as part if it.

You pay £300 a year, so your Insurance is not free. ;) Do you have the Natwest Gold acc? We pay £12 per month, £132 per year that gives us Travel Insurance, Mobile cover, car breakdown etc, etc. The reason we opted for this acc is basically for the travel Insurance, the benefits are really good, similar to Insure and go. The one thing to remember tho',the insurance is only valid for 5 weeks continuous holiday, Europe and international at any one time. Collecting the points on the CC is a bonus also. :D

We use Atlas Direct . We made a claim a couple of years ago my DH got a really bad sunburn on deck and resulted in having to see the ships doctor out of hours for a nasty burn on his leg. The bill was well over £200 but insurance paid up with no bother.

You pay £300 a year, so your Insurance is not free. ;) Do you have the Natwest Gold acc?. :D

No I pay the £300 for the overdraft fees and the unlimited chargecard which would cost more if paid for as standalone. I also have a real bank manager that I can walk in and see. The rest is thrown in- it is free as far as I am concerned-I wouldn't pay for any of it but I have used some- the mobile phone cover and the emergency plumber. It is natwest private banking.

You've all been most helpful, thankyou. I do have a NatWest advantage gold account and so the travel insurance is included but I am just cncerned that it doesn't cover the cost of the holiday so I will take a "single trip" insurance as an extra just to be on the safe side. :)

You've all been most helpful, thankyou. I do have a NatWest advantage gold account and so the travel insurance is included but I am just cncerned that it doesn't cover the cost of the holiday so I will take a "single trip" insurance as an extra just to be on the safe side. :)

Take a look at the PDF download of the AGTI, unless you have some illness that you should of told them about, you are covered. ;)

What you are covered for

We will reimburse up to £5,000 per insured person, for journey

deposits and costs, which you cannot recover from any other source

and this is due to:

1. Death or serious injury or illness to you, a companion upon

whom your travel depends, a member of your immediate family,

a close business associate all resident in the UK or a relative or

friend in whose home you are intending to stay.

2. You or a travelling companion being required:

a) For jury service in the UK;

b) As a witness in the UK;

c) To stay at your home address following a serious burglary or

attempted burglary, fire, lightning, storm, explosion, impact

of aircraft, earthquake, subsidence, falling trees, riot or civil

commotion, malicious damage, burst pipes or flood at your

home address or usual place of business in the UK, which

occurs during the journey.

3. You being made unemployed or redundant.

4. Your pet dog or cat requiring life saving treatment within seven

days immediately prior to the journey starting.

5. You being required for unexpected emergency duty or posted

overseas as a member of the armed forces, the police,

ambulance/fire or nursing service during the intended journey.

6. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office advising against ‘All

Travel’ to your intended destination.

7. A medical practitioner advising against travel for any reason.

8. Your passport or visa being stolen in a burglary within 7 days of

your planned departure and you cannot obtain a replacement

in time.

Take a look at the PDF download of the AGTI, unless you have some illness that you should of told them about, you are covered. ;)

What you are covered for

We will reimburse up to £5,000 per insured person, for journey

deposits and costs, which you cannot recover from any other source

and this is due to:

1. Death or serious injury or illness to you, a companion upon

whom your travel depends, a member of your immediate family,

a close business associate all resident in the UK or a relative or

friend in whose home you are intending to stay.

2. You or a travelling companion being required:

a) For jury service in the UK;

b) As a witness in the UK;

c) To stay at your home address following a serious burglary or

attempted burglary, fire, lightning, storm, explosion, impact

of aircraft, earthquake, subsidence, falling trees, riot or civil

commotion, malicious damage, burst pipes or flood at your

home address or usual place of business in the UK, which

occurs during the journey.

3. You being made unemployed or redundant.

4. Your pet dog or cat requiring life saving treatment within seven

days immediately prior to the journey starting.

5. You being required for unexpected emergency duty or posted

overseas as a member of the armed forces, the police,

ambulance/fire or nursing service during the intended journey.

6. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office advising against ‘All

Travel’ to your intended destination.

7. A medical practitioner advising against travel for any reason.

8. Your passport or visa being stolen in a burglary within 7 days of

your planned departure and you cannot obtain a replacement

in time.

Well I thank you for that, it cocvers more than I realised :D I think that will do nicely!

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that cruiseline's own insurance is very expensive and costs in the hundreds of pounds. The ones I've tried through recommendations on this thread (thank you) have come in around the £50 region for single trip insurance to Europe for 2 weeks for a couple.

The E111 is now called the EHIC but thanks for the reminder.

Archived