North Cape views help !

Hi all,

Bit of advice really.

Septemeber 2011, North Cape.

My wife wants sort of Alaska views without going to Alaska if you see what I mean:).

I think she means icebergs and glaciers, but am trying to convince her that the North Cape is not that sort of views in September, please reply she believes anybody but me.:)

Take it easy.

Thanks

In answer to your recent post I would suggest either a North Cape or North Norway cruise for spectacular views of mountains, forests and small fishing villages. Please visit http://www.fredolsencruises.co.uk for full details on destination information and available cruises. Regards Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Lets not mess around. If she wants glaciers then :

1 Antarctica

2 Alaska

3 Spitsbergen - but the glacier walk in Longyearbyen was crap.

4 Chilean Fjords

5 Norway - Olden I think has trip Glacier walking.

Norway - the further north you go the more bleak is the landscape. Bergen and the southern ports are beautiful and green. Tromso and up there pretty bleak but we didnt see any glaciers up there until we got to Spitsbergen.

Good luck.

Cheers Simon,

That's swung it, now she believes me:)

Thanks again.

And thanks FOCL for your reply, shows they read the forum.

Think it may be lower down though in September, North Cape seems a bit bleak.

Cheers

If its icebergs you want then we did the Iceland Greenland cruise on Black Watch a couple of years ago (July). All I can say is WOW!! The size and colours of the icebergs were fantastic.

We did a cruise this year in June / July that took in Iceland and Greenland. You will not see icebergs in Iceland, but will see distant glaciers and plenty of snowfields from the Northern fjords (Akureyri approach). From Reykjavik, we did a "4x4 glacier trip" and it was great - but the weather was amazingly clear, which apparently is not the norm.

The approach / departure from Qaqortoq, Greenland was truly fantastic, with icebergs of all sizes and shades of blue/green/white in an almost calm sea, with blue skies. Some of the icebergs were estimated by the crew to be over 70ft high.

The approaches to the capital of Greenland, Nuuk, were much different, with very few icebergs to be seen, but we did a "Scenic Fjord trip" right up into the fjord system, where we saw smaller icebergs close up, towering mountains and glaciers. This was just a 2 hour trip, but longer trips (7-8 hours) are available that will take you right to the foot of glaciers You can also fly by helicopter to the icecap for around £400pp. There were also lots of bigger bergs to be seen on the cruise up the West coast between the two ports. All of this was perfect for us, but apparently, the same cruise last year couldn't get into Greeland at all for ice & bad weather.

Good luck and have fun trying to find ice.

• 5 months later...

:pWe've had our best cruise ever in 2001 up to the Artic but that time of year when they go up there, the Icebergs are not there thank goodness. I think she needs to go on one of those cruises from New Zealand and Australia that use Icebreakers to see Icebergs!:p

Hi all,

Bit of advice really.

Septemeber 2011, North Cape.

My wife wants sort of Alaska views without going to Alaska if you see what I mean:).

I think she means icebergs and glaciers, but am trying to convince her that the North Cape is not that sort of views in September, please reply she believes anybody but me.:)

Take it easy.

Thanks

Archived