Is 10:45 am Flight too early off Enchantment?

swissmiss

Given a choice of flight time I would personally opt for the later flight. There are too many things that could go wrong (ship late to the dock, trouble collecting your bags, traffic jams and so on). The last thing that you need is to be stressed out about making it to the airport after spending the time and money to un-stress yourselves.

When DW and I cruise, we arrive the day before embarkation and stay one night following debarkation. It's sort of nice to be able to see something of your departure city before and after the cruise!

Bon Voyage!

:)

It is probably much too early to book a flight.

I was visiting Fort McHenry two weeks ago hoping to take pictures of the ship arriving. I was not successful as the ship was over two hours late in arriving. You have to be prepared for any eventuality.

Even though Southwest is pretty accommodating on chagning flights, if you miss your flight and the next one is already full, or the fares have increased, you have a problem. If everyone on this board says you can make it and you don't, it's your problem. If you can check in in the morning for the afternoon flight, you could take light rail to the Inner Harbor area, go to the aquarium, etc.

Even though Southwest is pretty accommodating on chagning flights, if you miss your flight and the next one is already full, or the fares have increased, you have a problem. If everyone on this board says you can make it and you don't, it's your problem. If you can check in in the morning for the afternoon flight, you could take light rail to the Inner Harbor area, go to the aquarium, etc.

Good points but SWA will not check your luggage in any earlier than 2 hours before your flight... that means you have to deal with your luggage until that time. I don't know if BWI has a place to store your luggage while you go exploring...

IF the ship arrives on time you will have plenty of time to make a 10:45 flight. Our debarkation in September at Baltimore was fast and easy. The ship began debarkation about 7:30. You can request the earliest embarkation and take The Airport Shuttle 1-800-776-0323 to BWI which is about 20 minutes from the cruise port.

BWI to my knowledge does not have a place to store luggage and you probably cannot check luggage in early with Southwest. (Call them to check.) A late afternoon flight would require a long wait at the airport because RCL wants everyone off early so they can start embarkation around 11:15 AM. I don't think it would be practical to take the light rail back into the city as someone suggested.

Alternatively you can request late embarkation, have breakfast, and then go to the airport and read a book while waiting for your flight.

Whichever flight you choose depends on your nerves and willingness to rebook if there is a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I would book the later one- If you miss the early flight--more then likely the 2nd flight will be sold out and you may have to wait a day or two.

If the ship arrives late---you'd be in trouble.

We were on the Enchantment in July and they did not start the embarkment until 12:30. The ships going into Baltimore usually arrive later then other ships because they have to travel up the bay. I would go for the later flight. You could get off the ship later and take your time getting to the airport. The airport does get busy so security does take time. I flew in Sept. and they had the full body scanning machines. There are shops and places to eat in the airport that you can visit.

Archived