Just looking for a nice beach. Recommendations?

Bisous3

We toured with Oscar Brown last year in Costa Rica and had a wonderful time, but his year we'd just like to veg out on a nice white sand beach. Can anyone recommend one to us? We just want to jump in a cab and go.

Any advice anyone can give is appreciated.

Suzanne

• 1 month later...

I have a very trustworthy friend whose parents just moved from the US to Costa Rica, and he just bought property there for himself to move to in a few years. I asked him where we should go, and here was his answer:

About an hour south (of Limon) there are 3 really nice beaches: Playa Cahiuta, Puerto Viejo, and Playa Manzanillo. Cahuita is the closest, living coral reef, excellent snorkeling...you can hire a boat for $20-25 a head (negoitate for less) to take you out to the reef to get lobster and you can get them cooked in town. He suggested a guy named Roberto (well known in Cahuita and speakes English) that has a boat and a restaurant, where he said he had one of the best meals he'd ever eaten.

He said he usually stays in Playa Mazanillo.

• 2 months later...

"The beach of Playa Bonita is about 5 km (3 miles) north of Limon. This is not necessarily a hidden getaway: It’s proximity to Limon, plus its relative beauty—palm trees, other greenery, big waves—have made it a favorite with the local community. Surfing contests are often held here. It’s a fine spot for sunbathing and picnicking, although the waters should be approached with caution (they’re not very clean and are usually too rough for swimming)."

This is just what I found online. We took a tour with a local taxi driver & saw several beaches. He told us the reason the area is not more developed as a tourist area is because the swimming is not as good as the Pacific coast. In fact we've been to the beaches on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica & they were much more beautiful than what we saw around Limon. It would not be a place I would choose for a beach day--but maybe there is something prettier than what we saw. I think it is not by accident that there are beach shore excursions at other ports and none here. We had a very interesting day & I enjoyed our tour, but not because of the beach.

Archived