San Diego Flight Advice

Travelrd

We had a close call yesterday with disembarkation in San Diego. We were ending a 12 day cruise and this was our 2nd stop in San Diego. At the end of the 5 day cruise, no issues in San Diego. There were only about 600 passengers in total disembarking and by 8:30am they were allowing anyone off the ship. One week later it was a different story........

We had over 1,000 non US citizens on board and they all had to clear immigration before anyone could disembark. The ship docked shortly after 6am, same as the week before. They had said the day before that disembarkation would not start until 9:30am. We had a 10:50am flight and have never had disembarkation start that late in San Diego - we figured they were just being overly pessimistic. Well, everyone was lined up anticipating the same thing we were. Many announcements for the non US citizens to go the Vista Dining Room. The ship was finally cleared shortly after 9:30am and those carrying off their luggage were allowed to leave. We did make our flight - we arrived at the airport about one hour before. There were some folks in line with 10:30am flights - not sure if they made it or not.

Would I do it again - book a 10:50am flight out of San Diego - absolutely. It is how comfortable you are with the risk and what your back up plan is.

Thanks for your advice LMB01. I'm not too comfortable with a lot of risk especially after a wnderful 10 day cruise, so I'll just stick with the 12:30 flight. I appreciate your comments about how different the disembarkation can be from one week to the next. I'd rather be sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to Phoenix than stressing out about maybe or maybe not making my flght.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your advice LMB01. I'm not too comfortable with a lot of risk especially after a wnderful 10 day cruise, so I'll just stick with the 12:30 flight. I appreciate your comments about how different the disembarkation can be from one week to the next. I'd rather be sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to Phoenix than stressing out about maybe or maybe not making my flght.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. I thought our "back to back" (though we booked it as a 12 day) was a great example of how things can change week to week. I have elite status with airline we were flying so I had lots of options had we missed our flight. Always book what you are comfortable with.

We had a close call yesterday with disembarkation in San Diego. We were ending a 12 day cruise and this was our 2nd stop in San Diego. At the end of the 5 day cruise, no issues in San Diego. There were only about 600 passengers in total disembarking and by 8:30am they were allowing anyone off the ship. One week later it was a different story........

We had over 1,000 non US citizens on board and they all had to clear immigration before anyone could disembark. The ship docked shortly after 6am, same as the week before. They had said the day before that disembarkation would not start until 9:30am. We had a 10:50am flight and have never had disembarkation start that late in San Diego - we figured they were just being overly pessimistic. Well, everyone was lined up anticipating the same thing we were. Many announcements for the non US citizens to go the Vista Dining Room. The ship was finally cleared shortly after 9:30am and those carrying off their luggage were allowed to leave. We did make our flight - we arrived at the airport about one hour before. There were some folks in line with 10:30am flights - not sure if they made it or not.

Would I do it again - book a 10:50am flight out of San Diego - absolutely. It is how comfortable you are with the risk and what your back up plan is.

Agreed- we live in SD so had no worries about when we disembarked but saw & heard lots of people flipping out over 10-11:30am flights and they were several groups away from being called. They started self carry luggage/expedited disembarkation at 9:30 there were hundreds of people in line--

You'll be fine, embarking starts at 11:30am, so you'll be off at 9:30 latest

Having just gotten off the Oosterdam in SD yesterday, I would disagree with this. Not one person was off the ship until 9:30 am. That was the time they opened up the gates to depart....and the line to get off was long. I was at the airport just after 10, but I was one of the first people off the ship.

Good luck.

Diana

Archived