Panama Cruise Tours for 3 Generations?

GRACE53

My 82 year old mother who is great (except for a fused ankle which limits her walking), my adult daughter and I are doing an upcoming Panama cruise on Zuiderdam. Just wondering what the best excursions for Gatun Lake and Puerto Limon would be. I was very interested in the Indian Village but Mom would not be able to navigate the trek to the canoes and also may find it very long and tiring. Any suggestions? Maybe we should just stay on board and enjoy the view from the ship.

DD is very interested in the zipline in Costa Rica so she will likely book that. What "interesting" excursions would you suggest for Mom and me? Is the aerial tram too strenuous or lengthy? As far as other tours go, we really don't want to be stuck on a bus for hours on end.

Also, what is the price of a cabana on HMC? Is it prohibitive for 3 of us? Would we better off enjoying our large aft balcony for the day?:)

Grace, Assuming your Mom can step down into a smaller boat I'd suggest the "Lake Gatun Wildlife Safari" or similar name. Beautiful trip on the Lake, lots of wildlife when I went (monkeys coming down to the boat, etc), some glimpses up close of dredging for Canal expansion, good lunch on the guy's houseboat, other than getting in and out of the boat . . . and maybe she could do that on her good foot . . . great trip. Otherwise, perhaps the Panama Canal Railway trip. Picts of both and more info on my blog http://panamacanalblog.wordpress.com/category/panama-canal-shore-excursions/ Enjoy the ZUIDERDAM! I miss her!

Regards, Richard

PS - In Puerto Limon the Tortugero Canals are interesting, easy and not too long. In Curacao the Trolley Train isn't bad, gives you a nice glimpse of town and surrounds without having to walk.

Richard,

Do you know is there a private company that does the Gatun Lake Safari Tour? I tried to Google it and could not find it. I am thinking of booking this for our visit next month. Thanks for all of the information you provide on this forum.

Richard,

Do you know is there a private company that does the Gatun Lake Safari Tour? I tried to Google it and could not find it. I am thinking of booking this for our visit next month. Thanks for all of the information you provide on this forum.

JSW, There may be ones that offer something similar, but the one I'm talking about is always sold out by the cruise shore ex far in advance so I'm sure it is not available independently. Sometimes the independents have to pick up the "leftovers" so to speak because the ships buy up all availability. Regards, Richard

Archived