public or cab transportation

jamarone

Do taxi cabs and local busses take US dollars on the islands of Barbados, St. Vincent, Aruba and Curacao specifically (for me) other islands for all interested in the question? And if they do take US, on the busses, does it have to be exact change? And (I keep thinking of new questions) do I have to convert to the exchange rate or just not worry about it? Thank you for your help. Without these boards a first time traveler to the places we are going would be totally lost. Thank you all for being there and thank you CruiseCritic for watching over all of us.

We've always been able to use US Dollars for taxi's as well as restaurants and merchants throughout the Caribbean.

While exact change is not needed, you might end up getting your change in local currency.

In fact the only time we've ever used local currency in the Caribbean is when we've received some as change and then spent it.

We've never taken local buses so I can't comment on those.

Don't remember about bus fares as we haven't used them for a long time. But yes you can use dollars for cabs all over the Carib. No need to convert to local currency. Just know that the bills need to be in good condition. No tears, folds, writing etc. The cabbies and store clerks need them to be in good condition to exchange in their currency.

Archived