Cunard Ticket Prices 1950 vs 2010

S-I-L of Ladlyl1

Given the Cunard prices today I thought I would have a look at minimum passenger transit costs from 1950. These are in Dollars and one way except where expressed as round trip. A 1950's dollar is now worth 10c. So if you take the Cunard price for say Aquitania Tourist Class at $124.00 one way this is $1240 today or £800 (ish) or c 3times the cost of QM2 Transatlantic one way no flight to the states.

Ridiculous......how the people of the 1950's were ripped off huh

Past this link into a new web page and have a look.

http://www.airships.net/wp-content/uploads/ocean-liner-rates126web.jpg

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO S-I-L of Lady: You can't really make good comparisons between different times. Remember, back in the 1930's if you wanted to travel cruise ship was the best way to get to Europe from America and to America from Europe. Plane travel first didn't come into common and economical usage until the late '50's or early '60's. So prior to the '50's going by ship was the way to travel.

Fast forward to the late '60's the cruise industry had to remake itself into traveling for pleasure or vacations. Some companies bit the dust so to speak. It was pretty pricey until 1972 when the Carnival Corporation was born. It was started by a person who liked cruises and wanted to make it more affordable so others could enjoy it. Look what happened to the cruise industry since and look who the largest company is for cruising.

Archived