Panamericano Hotel in Buenos Aires

macky2

Hello,

DH and I are booked on an Antartica cruise round trip from Buenos Aires in January 2011. I booked one night pre-hotel stay through Celebrity cruises and thought I was booked at the Emperador hotel. Checking my on-line reservation today I see that the hotel has been changed to the Panamericano. This hotel has serveral awful reviews on the Trip Advisor website and a few fair to middlin' reviews. Has anyone stayed at the Panamericano that can give me an idea if I should stay with this booking or cancel and book a hotel on my own?

Thanks.

Hello,

DH and I are booked on an Antartica cruise round trip from Buenos Aires in January 2011. I booked one night pre-hotel stay through Celebrity cruises and thought I was booked at the Emperador hotel. Checking my on-line reservation today I see that the hotel has been changed to the Panamericano. This hotel has serveral awful reviews on the Trip Advisor website and a few fair to middlin' reviews. Has anyone stayed at the Panamericano that can give me an idea if I should stay with this booking or cancel and book a hotel on my own?

Thanks.

See my answer to the same question from another cruiser here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1270136

You'll be fine for one night - of course you can do better, but it depends how much you want to spend on a room for one night.

I attended a conference at the PanAmericano back in March of this year. Here are a few thoughts:

1. The hotel is home to Tomo 1, one of the best restaurants in Buenos Aires. Foodies love the creative Argentine dishes served here. We tried the fixed price dinner, which included three courses and a bottle of wine for 180 pesos per person (3.92 pesos per dollar).

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

2. Lobby and public rooms at the hotel are traditional, well appointed and kept up to date.

3. Service was at a high standard.

4. Location....on 9 de Julio in downtown Buenos Aires, a better area for business than for tourism. Still, the hotel is near several spots of interest to tourists....the Lavalle/Florida pedestrian mall is nearby....Cafe Tortoni, a landmark cafe with connections to Tango history and culture, is nearby on Ave de Mayo. Plaza de Mayo is within walking distance.

5. There are two towers in the Panamericano. Rooms in one tower are much better than the other. If you are unhappy with your room ask to be switched.

For one night, you will be fine at this hotel.

Dr. D - Thanks for the additional information especially since you were at the hotel recently. Maybe all of the bad reviews I read were people who were housed in the tower with the older rooms?

Since we are arriving the day before the cruise after an extended flight, we probably won't do much sightseeing before the cruise. I tend to be tired and cranky after a long flight. As long as we have a clean and comfortable room to rest in and a good restaurant nearby we will be happy.

Hopefully the hotel does enough business with the cruise lines to put their clients in the better rooms.

Archived