What are the chances??

travel12

Can't answer your question re: Miami, but I can tell you that we saw the shuttle launch several years ago from the deck of the Pride, out of Port Canaveral. It was about 8pm, and we'd sailed at, I think 5pm, and we had an amazing view. The night-time launch was spectacular! Truly one of the most awesome, amazing, wonder-filled things I have ever-ever-ever seen.

Keep in mind that there's always a really good chance that the shuttle won't launch on schedule -- any number of things could go wrong & they could cancel it at the last minute.

I took my kids to Disney in 2007 and I got to see the launch. We were eating dinner somewhere (don't remember now where) and we all (almost everyone in the restaurant - inclusing the wait and kitchen staff) went outside to take alook. it was great. I hope you get to see it.

We are leaving on the 26th of February (Dream from Port Canaveral) and the launch was supposed to be on that day but got pushed to the 27th :mad: - so dissapointed but I had been warned that the schedule frequently changes.......

The Endeavour is schedule for 3:38 PM launch. If the safety briefing is outside and the launch is on time you could see the flame path from the space shuttle, but not the shuttle itself, usually a few minutes after the lift off. We are about 2 hrs away in central Florida and can see the path of the shuttle within a few moments of lift off.

It will be a site to see from Port Canaveral since you are only a few miles away.

We leave from Miami on the Valor February 27. Just read that the space shuttle launches that day too. What are the chances that we might see something , a streak in the sky, or perhaps a sonic boom in Miami?

If the Space Shuttle does launch on 2/27, the liftoff will be at 3:38 PM. It will probably have about a 5 minute launch window.

I have seen a Shuttle Launch from our ship out of Miami before and it was just before sail-away. It was barely visible but I could see the bright light from the launch.

I'd love to see a launch. Were there alot of people out on deck watching or did they even know about it?

When I saw it, the decks were crowded, but I was surprised they weren't MORE crowded. My mother was with DH & me, but my sis, BIL, and their kids were inside eating dinner, having forgotten all about it.

It was supposed to have launched the night before, and I'd changed our hotel to one that was right on the beach so we'd have a great view. Then, with mere minutes to go, they canceled the launch and rescheduled it for the next day. Which worked out even better because we got to see the launch from the deck of a cruise ship! :D

Hope it works out for you. Several years ago while in Epcot, I saw the shuttle launch while walking through England - as strange as that sounds. It is a very cool thing to see. It was after sunset so it was dark - and it was incredible how it lit up the sky, streaking upwards. Only a couple more opportunities to see it unless they decide to extend the program again.

Can't answer your question re: Miami, but I can tell you that we saw the shuttle launch several years ago from the deck of the Pride, out of Port Canaveral. It was about 8pm, and we'd sailed at, I think 5pm, and we had an amazing view. The night-time launch was spectacular! Truly one of the most awesome, amazing, wonder-filled things I have ever-ever-ever seen.

Keep in mind that there's always a really good chance that the shuttle won't launch on schedule -- any number of things could go wrong & they could cancel it at the last minute.

What a great post!

Hi Mary Ellen - do you know why they would move it from the 26th to the 27th so early on? does this happen a lot? my boys are dissapointed to say the least....oh well :(

On the morning of our Dream Cruise 8/14/2010 I had gone to Publix to pick up a few things and everyone was talking about "it" being on time versus late. I had no idea there was an Atlas launch scheduled. Just as I walked out of the store something caught my eye in the sky to my left and there it was. Wow! What a bonus. My DD was out running on the beach and I called her and she had seen and then a few minutes later heard it too. We were in Cocoa Beach and of course could actually see the rocket, but I would be just impressed by the trail in the sky. I hope you are able to see it.

What a great post!

Thanks!

Hi Mary Ellen - do you know why they would move it from the 26th to the 27th so early on? does this happen a lot? my boys are dissapointed to say the least....oh well :(

Wow, I have no idea. These are such complex missions that there are probably a million little details that have to line up perfectly. When ours was delayed, approx. 10 minutes before the scheduled blast-off, it was because of bad weather at the emergency landing site in Spain.

We leave from Miami on the Valor February 27. Just read that the space shuttle launches that day too. What are the chances that we might see something , a streak in the sky, or perhaps a sonic boom in Miami?

If you know where to look you will be able to see the flame and smoke trail. You will not be able to see the actual craft. There will be no noise. Close to a launch there is quite a roar and thumping from the buffeting the massive over pressures cause. The Sonic Booms are only heard on the return flights.

All shuttle launches are worth viewing, day or night. Day launches are amazing, night launches leave you standing there with your mouth agape.

Depends on the weather...I've seen it about 5 or 6 times from here in the 18 years I've lived here...If it is a morning shot, get to a beach and look north...otherwise just get on the deck and look north....If the weather is clear the whole way up the coast, you'll see something...

Atlantis was scheduled to launch from Cape Canaveral on the day of our Mariner of the Seas departure in late August, 2006. Of course, with the daily thunder and lightening storms that occur at that time of year it didn't happen (if I remember correctly that particular launch was delayed 4 times). We knew the chances were slim, but it was still a little disappointing. Better luck to you...don't let it put a damper on your trip though.

Happy Sails,

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

I actually changed ships from Dream (2/26/10) to Sensation (2/27/10) so I will see the launch on February 27th, 2010.

Now, I don't see that date changing BUT anything can happen on launch day.

I am keeping my fingers crossed but.................at least I am still going on a cruise.

Archived