35 Day Cruise Oceania Capetown to Singapore 12/11/10

Jerry & Lee G

I teach many returned Peace Corps volunteers who will return to Africa after their training. Last May we sailed up West Africa with Princess. I was thrilled to find Oceania’s cruise up East Africa for this December. As a professor, I need to be able to understand the places for which I am preparing health workers.

Not to be rude.... but if you need to understand where you are sending workers then you need to make the trip to the area and not via cruise ship so you will have more time in the field to evaluate the needs of the people there.

I haven't looked up the original ports or the alternatives, but I can perhaps shed some theoretical light on why a ship cannot spend more time in given port instead of an alternative port.

Let's say the ship was originally scheduled to Port A on day 1, Port B on day 2 and Port C on day 3. Let's further stipulate that the time required to reach Port B from Port A was 12 hours, and the time to reach Port C from Port B was also 12 hours, and assume the ship was to stay in each port from 8 AM to 8 PM

Now, if Port B is canceled, and the ship stays an extra day in Port A, 12 hours is lost while the ship sits overnight in Port A, and 12 additional hours are lot while the ship spends day 2 in Port A.

When the ship leaves Port A at 8 PM on Day 2, it will take 24 hours to reach Port C -- but it only has 12 hours available before 8 AM on day 3.

Therefore, the alternative Port B has to be somewhere between Port A and Port C, and the time must add up to 24 hours -- perhaps 13 hours to the new Port B, and 11 hours to Port C.

If the alternative Port B is somewhat off the original course, for example requiring 15 hours to reach it and 15 additional hours to reach Port C, the time in each port may also be adjusted -- departing at 5 PM in both Ports A and B, arriving late in Port C, or perhaps cutting 6 hours from the time in the alternative Port B.

If the above somewhat simple example is confusing, put yourself in the place of the navigators, who must adjust these schedules not only with considerations of speed, time and distance, but also potential weather, currents, re-provisioning, and berth space in the various ports -- it might not be possible for the ship to remain where it is if another ship is due to use the same berth on day 2.

Considering the details, it's amazing that they come up with any alternative plan. Now, add in other problems at the same time, such as Regent Voyager losing a propulsion pod and having to cancel an entire cruise, and get everyone flights home from Athens, and figure out when the staff is going to get enough free time to make a more convenient announcement.

Booked on 35 day cruise from Capetown,SA to Singapore on December 11, 2010. How do I go about finding out if anyone has booked any private tours?

Jerry & Lee G.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Go to Roll Call board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1072529&page=3 for this cruise and you might find some who are looking for people to join them on private excursions.

Also, there is a Cruise Critic "Meet & Greet" get together in the planning stages. If you would like to know more about it, please e-mail me at d.g.cooper@rogers.com.

Grace & Don

Archived