Galveston Hotel Recommendations

cruisedogs2000

My DH and I are sailing on the Conquest leaving 11/28/2010 and we are looking for any hotel recommendations. We live in Northeast Kansas and will be leaving Friday evening and driving thirteen hours straight through to Galveston, we want a hotel for Saturday night so that we will be rested up for our cruise leaving Sunday.

I am also looking for a great fabric shops to check out on Saturday. I am a quilter and I am always looking for unique fabric/quilt shops wherever I go. We have JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, WalMart and Hancock Fabrics in the area where we live, so I am looking for any individually owned shops if possible.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:o

Lots of hotels discussed on the gulfport threads.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Maybe you could give us more info, are you looking for a luxory hotel, cheap hotel? Hotel parking?? (most have free cruise parking in Galveston). Only a few have shuttles, so the free parking isnt worth that much.

If you are moving your car to say EZCruise to park it during the cruise, then even hotwire will do.

Do you want to stay on the seawall and see the ocean?? Near the port (its only 3 miles across from the seawall to the port).

Price is a small factor, I want a clean hotel for the most part. My DH would like to be able to eat breakfast before leaving for the ship. We will park at the cruise terminal and distance to the terminal isn't much of a factor either. We aren't really picky people. I wouldn't mind having a view of either the ocean or cruise terminal but isn't a deal breaker either.

We are big fans of The Harbor House. It's a boutique hotel so there's no pool , gym or any other amenities. Breakfast of pastry, juice and coffee is included. Best part, it's right there at the harbor. Get the right room and you can sit in your window and watch the ships arrive. You can walk to the treminal/ Parking for the week is $20.

Price is a small factor, I want a clean hotel for the most part. My DH would like to be able to eat breakfast before leaving for the ship. We will park at the cruise terminal and distance to the terminal isn't much of a factor either. We aren't really picky people. I wouldn't mind having a view of either the ocean or cruise terminal but isn't a deal breaker either.

Honestly I would consider EZCruise, which isnt that much cheaper, but its higher ground, and has a security fence around it vs. the port parking... or parking at the hotel.

If you dont care to be on seawall, Howard Johnson's really isnt bad. Free cruise parking, and for $5 per person each way, Discount Cruise parking across the street for shuttle. yes to free breakfast

EconoLodge is cheaper, free cruise parking, but taxi will run at least $15 each way if you tip. The free breakfast isnt great, homemade waffles, cereal and pastries. Only carbs

holiday Inn (both of them) are a favorite choice because their free cruise parking includes a shuttle, but Iv heard complaints about having to wait.

... all the way up to Moody Gardens.

I dont think Galveston is where you will find much for fabric and such, lucky to find the basics.

Just to give you a range, econolodge is usually around $40. Howard Johnson's $64, not a great location, nothing near, better breakfast, and shuttle is cheap across the street. ..Holidays Inns if you are lucky $99.

The later in the year usually the cheaper. I had a offer on hotels.com for Harbor house for one night for $89. (its right next to the port and near to the strand to walk to and look around historic Galveston)

Honestly I would consider EZCruise, which isnt that much cheaper, but its higher ground, and has a security fence around it vs. the port parking... or parking at the hotel.

If you dont care to be on seawall, Howard Johnson's really isnt bad. Free cruise parking, and for $5 per person each way, Discount Cruise parking across the street for shuttle. yes to free breakfast

EconoLodge is cheaper, free cruise parking, but taxi will run at least $15 each way if you tip. The free breakfast isnt great, homemade waffles, cereal and pastries. Only carbs

holiday Inn (both of them) are a favorite choice because their free cruise parking includes a shuttle, but Iv heard complaints about having to wait.

... all the way up to Moody Gardens.

I dont think Galveston is where you will find much for fabric and such, lucky to find the basics.

Do you have the website address for the EZcruise parking?

Do you have the website address for the EZcruise parking?

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com

$50 for 7 days, $35 for Ecstasy, 4 or 5 days. (in advance, its $5 more on the day of the cruise in person)

They guarded my car after ike and have a real security person on the lot 24/7

They are the biggest, so after you get off, look for the yellow shirts, 4 pole back or some such, and easy to catch their shuttle included in the price, and they will drop you off right by the porters after you get parked. iv used them maybe 6 times. Iv also used discount and hotel parking.

My DH and I are sailing on the Conquest leaving 11/28/2010 and we are looking for any hotel recommendations. We live in Northeast Kansas and will be leaving Friday evening and driving thirteen hours straight through to Galveston, we want a hotel for Saturday night so that we will be rested up for our cruise leaving Sunday.

I am also looking for a great fabric shops to check out on Saturday. I am a quilter and I am always looking for unique fabric/quilt shops wherever I go. We have JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, WalMart and Hancock Fabrics in the area where we live, so I am looking for any individually owned shops if possible.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:o

We are going on the same cruise we are comming from Okla.early Sat.morning,we are staying at the hilton, they also has aparking area that your car can stay for the week that has a 24 hour camera,they take you to the ship and pick you up.

The Harbor House gets my vote and you will get to see the ship come into the port on Sunday morning. We loved watching the Conquest come into port know we would soon be on it. You can also park at the Harbor House, I think for about $45.00 but as someone else mentioned EZ-Park is the one we use.

We are going on the same cruise we are comming from Okla.early Sat.morning,we are staying at the hilton, they also has aparking area that your car can stay for the week that has a 24 hour camera,they take you to the ship and pick you up.

I went ahead and booked us a room at the Hilton today. Another group of cruisers that are also going on 11/28 are staying there as well. You should join our roll call for that sailing date.:o

• 2 months later...

Archived