Where are the Best Decks on the ship

I like Deck 7..close enough to all the action, but still not too noisy..of course, it depends on which ship, but we've been lucky so far! We booked Deck Seven, superior interior category on the Legend for our upcoming cruise, and I think it will be good, too!

The bow is the very front of the ship. Everyone has their preferences, but we usually like midships. If you're prone to motion sickness, midships and a lower deck are your best bet. Aft (the very back of the ship) cabins are very popular and go quickly. Both the bow and the aft may feel more motion as will the higher decks vs. the lower decks.

From looking at the deck plans of the Mariner, the OV's on deck 7 are right in the very front of the ship. I'm not sure how that translates to a good or bad view, but I would think it might be a little rougher up there than a cabin farther back on the ship.

I am really a cruise/boat novice.... Where exactly is the bow & how would this affect the view? :o

Is it to late 2 change to an alternate deck if there is no good view?

I will check the RCCL site in the interim.

Thanks guys

As Hstrybuf already mentioned, the bow is the front of the ship. In the case of the oceanview cabins on deck 7, these are as far forward as it gets on the ship.

As far as the view, I would think it would be okay. But, keep in mind, an Oceanview cabin has only a window - not a balcony. What are the chances that you're going to stand at that window and gaze out it for more than a few minutes during your cruise? Also, the window doesn't open, it's really only for looks and extra light. Personally, I'd try to upgrade to a balcony cabin...really not much more money. For example, an upgrade from a Oceanview to a E class balcony would probably be around $150 per person. An upgrade from an Oceanview to a D class balcony would probably be around $300 per person. (This would depend on what time of the year you're cruising. I just assumed 'typical' summer rates.)

If budget is an issue with the balcony cabins, I personally would rather have a Promenade cabin than an Oceanview. You'd still get the light from the window overlooking the Promenade deck, you have a great view of the parades, more central location, and less expensive price. Just my personal preference though.

I've only cruised one time (also on the Mariner), but we booked a cabin roughly in the middle of the ship. I experienced a little bit of seasickness during our cruise (thank goodness for the seasickness patch!), and I felt much better in the middle of the ship than I did in the extreme bow or aft. I think if we'd had a cabin on one of the extreme ends of the ship, I would have had trouble sleeping in it.

Not sure what your situation is, and when you're cruising...but I thought I'd toss out these ideas. Hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Thanks Sherry/Hstrybuf,

We are travelling in June. Neither me or my girlfriend suffer from motion sickness...(i think :rolleyes: ) however we have never been on a cruise b4 and never on a ship/boat the size of the Mariner by a long shot. Our Boat experience is limited to the Ferry to Statue of Liberty and another Ferry from St. Vincent to Bequia in the Carribean. Neither of these trips lasted more than an hour each way?? :o

I may probably change to something midship or a promenade based on what you guys are saying(my GF is not to keen on the promenade but she is felxible). Price is a consideration to a certain extent but its our first cruise so we will consider all possibilities. I guess ocean view is neither here nor there unless you have a balcony.

What do you guys think... inside stateroom or promenade?

I love this site... you guys are awesome ;)

Promenade, definitely. These cabins book up FAST. You said you are cruising in June....is that this year or next? You might have a good chance of still getting one if you're looking at next year.....however, I'd do it sooner than later.

Just remember that if you book a promenade cabin, the cabins on the opposite side look right into yours! We talked to some people on our Mariner January 16th sailing who felt uncomfortable with this, but, it depends on your personal feelings on it.

Past posters have said that the top deck of promenade cabins (deck 8?) is better. For one thing there are fewer opposing cabins, since there are none above yours, to look in and the windows slant out. I'm not really sure why slanted windows would make a difference (or if they really do) maybe it adds a glare to the window that makes it harder to see in (?).

Also, depending on your lifestyle, noise could be an issue if you tend to sleep late or go to bed early. Again, some posters have said it may be quieter on the upper decks. While we did not have a promenade cabin we spent a lot of time in that area. It can be a busy place with two parades and all the regular activities, but, the vast majority of the time I don't think excessive noise would be a problem, I think it would make a great alternative choice. Just close your drapes when disrobing so as not to "flash" your fellow shipmates!

Thanks Nanner10/sherry7,

I was kind of leaning towards the promenade personally, but the as you guys know the ladies tend to have the final word ;) We had also heard about the possibilty of noise and the neccesity to keep your drapes closed at those critical moments :D

We were actually leaning towards deck 8/7. Is 8 the better one since it is higher and less neighbours? We probably may not spend that much time in the cabin and I can sleep thru a hurricane so noise is not an issue. :)

We are travelling June 2006. I was actually trying to book earlier this month but the TA said they were no dates/rates available yet. We are REALLY looking forward to this cruise.

Let me know your thought/suggestions

Just came off a cruise (1-24 - 1-28) The majesty of the Seas. We were on the 9th Deck, in a superior outside cabin. This was our first cruise. We were in 7050 just far enough away from the elevators in the center, but easy to go to the aft elevators or to the center. our cabin was above the lifeboats and had a clear unobstructed view. I enjoyed the extra light. Unfortunately I had to spend a lot of extra time in the cabin, as I had a stomach flu the 2nd night, and never quite got to see anything from the Captain's reception on Tuesday night until sometime late afternoon on Wednesday. Enjoy. It was fun. :)

Archived