Star Flyer - first timer- info re dress please

whattowear

hello everyone I am going on Star Flyer - Barbados panama, 31st october - my first ever cruise although I am used to sailing - so what to take?? Teak decks - normally would dictate no shoes so I do not want to take too many if I don`t need them. Also, evening wear - how much?

Sooooo.... excited.:D

We're on that cruise, too. We've also taken one prior cruise on the Star Flyer. We will bring tennis shoes only. You need to have a collared shirt and long pants to wear at dinner. Otherwise, everything is informal.

Thankyou for very useful information.

I am a chronic over-packer so what about day-wear -shorts, t-shirts, swimwear? and presumably we get to go ashore so are there any dictats for dressing for shore trips - this is not a part of the world I am familiar with - sorry to sound such a dweeb!!

There is a more formal night but it is not necessary to dress up. Some women wore dresses and some men wore suit coats but we did not. I do not remember anyone going barefoot around the ship but do not remember if there was a good reason for that or not. It should be really hot, especially ashore. T-shirts and shorts are fine. Do bring swim wear. They offered water sports from the ship when were in the Med. I did not do any but I sort of remember either water skiing or maybe it was tubing. There is also two small pools but they were mainly used for water aerobics. On the other hand, it was not hot in the Med. and I may opt for a pool on this trip.

Zee

hello everyone I am going on Star Flyer - Barbados panama, 31st october - my first ever cruise although I am used to sailing

Congrats! You'll really like the Star Flyer.

- so what to take?? Teak decks - normally would dictate no shoes so I do not want to take too many if I don`t need them.

I would suggest whatever comfy shoes you have. We take flipflops/sandals, water shoes, maybe sport/athletic type shoes for excursions.

Also, evening wear - how much?

Comfy casual, something for hot climates!

No shorts in the dining room at dinner. Long pants for men, whatever for ladies (capris/skirts/dresses/etc). I usually stick to casual dresses/skirts that I can wear with my sandals.

Breakfast and lunch are, of course, casual...generally whatever you will wear for the day/excursion is fine.

Sooooo.... excited.:D

Me too! :D;)

I did not see too many people barefoot except by pools and deck lounge area. The two little pools are used for more than water aerobics There is NO bare feet in the dinning room at any time-- they use glass and for sanitary purposes. Take closed shoes if you wish to do mast climb (you really should do that !)

• 2 weeks later...
might meet up on one of these cruises :D

We'll be on the Star Flyer out of Barbados on the 31st as well. I have just been going through clothes tonight trying to pick out what to wear myself. Look forward to meeting you.

- Harriet

So, you say the snorkel gear was not in good shape. We are sailing Jan 22 out of Barbados on RC. We are planning on bringing our masks and snorkels but thought we would use their fins - should we reconsider this and bring our own fins too? Thanks

So, you say the snorkel gear was not in good shape. We are sailing Jan 22 out of Barbados on RC. We are planning on bringing our masks and snorkels but thought we would use their fins - should we reconsider this and bring our own fins too? Thanks

I'm probably not the best judge of 'gear' since I don't snorkel a whole bunch. My fins were weird, but my mask was fine. My husband's fins were okay, but his mask leaked. I figured we would just bring our own and not worry about it. :o

We have always carried our own gear. I am on my second prescription mask - makes a difference - just thought it might be nice not to carry the fins (lighten the load - so to speak) Any other comments from others who have used the RC fins will be helpful. Thanks

Archived