Hotel Le Mandarin? Anyone?

kjo@aol.com

Hi,

Am trying to decide where to stay 2 nights post cruise in August, and thought the downtown would be a great spot....easy access from the ship, and easy to get to ferry for day trip to Moorea..

Has anyone stayed here? If so, how did you find it?

Thanks all for your feedback!

Kim in RI

I can't help you now, but DH and I, as well as another couple from our cruise next month on the TP will be staying there. I can let you know when we get back on March 24th. For one night it just seems so much more econimical to stay there right by the ship.

Tammy

We just got back from the TP 2/11 trip and stayed at Le Mandarin the night before we embarked. We arrived at 8:00pm so we were OK with picking a basic hotel but wouldn't have liked to have done anymore than the one night. There are no public rooms to speak of and the bed we were in seemed very short. (OK for me as I am 4'11" but too short for my 6' DH). It is only a 5 min walk from the docks but cost $30 for a taxi from the airport as we came in at night From what

I heard Tahiti doesn't have nice beaches. We stayed at the Sheraton Moorea post cruise which was out of this world and some of the people from the cruise who were staying at the Sheraton Tahiti caught the ferry over 2 days in a row to hang out on our beach.

Hope this helps

Karen

Last year we stayed at the Le Mandarin overnight as our flight got in around 7:30 PM and we were to board the Tahitian Princess the next day. It is fine for a one night sleep over but I wouldn't want to spend any significant amount of time there. It is an old hotel, but clean and air conditioned so it was fine for one night. One of the smallest elevators I have seen though. Took two trips to get luggage upstairs. We spent one night post cruise at the Beachcomber on Tahiti and it was wonderful. We didn't want to leave it was so nice. We are going back to Tahiti in March 06 for our third time on the TP and will stay the one night for just a sleep over in the Le Mandarin again but will spend 3 post cruise days at the Beachcomber.

Also, make sure you take some sort of circle island tour and/or 4X4 tour when in Tahiti as it really does have some outstanding scenery. Not the same as Moorea or Bora Bora but enough to make a camera buff happy and a first timer excited as the best is yet to come.

Jackie

I actually just came on the boards to ask about the Mandarin. My father was actually reading about the Tiare Tahiti hotel located downtown..it is in same budget range as the Mandarin..wondering if anyone has seen or stayed at this one?

My parents have been to Tahiti by land about 15 years ago and island hopped around..for some reason they don't want to actually stay over on Moorea..feel it has less to do over there so rather stay in Papeete and just ferry over for a day.

Any idea with the Mandarin(or any other hotel there for that matter) that will give a discount off a day's right if you are arriving late in the evening? We arrive around 10pm on a Tuesday night and our cruise starts on Thursday(well, when we can embark on the ship anyway)..so we have really just one brief night when we arrive and then the one full day/night the next day before our cruise.

We also plan on staying 2 nights post cruise..but I don't know if I would want to go back to the same place we did pre-cruise..

any thoughts on this anyone?

Maygoddess, regardless if you are arriving at 10 PM or 1 PM you are expected to pay for a full night. I know of no hotels that offer a discount. You have the option of staying at the hotel on your last day until their checkout time which is around 11 Am or 12 Noon. That's the way it works, in Tahiti and probably the rest of the world.

Jackie

I've been checking out all the hotels in papeete online and Hotel Mandarin looks like its the most convenient and economical for one night.

The price is 15,000 XPF for one night for double occupancy which is approx $155 USD.

I'm thinking of booking it for the day we arrive to Papeete, just looking for a wholesale or discounted website that can give us a better deal.

Those that are interested, here's some info I collected:

www.hotelmandarin.com

51, Rue Colette, PO Box 302

Tahiti 98713

French Polynesia

Ph: (689)503350

Fax: (689)421632

Email: chris.beaumont@mail.pf

( this site shows a $128 USD price but its for 2004 -

http://pacific-for-less.com/Hotel_Le_Mandarin.shtml )

( this site shows a $150 USD price -

http://wired-destinations.com/hotels/thtman.htm%20$150%20usd )

We stayed there 4 nights in january. Its downtown papeete close to the market.Not resort style, just a working hotel,nice,clean air conditiond. The resort restaurants charge a lot for food and you dont have much choice. Le mandarin restaurant was expensive as well but you had other dining options.

Archived