2 Moms 4 kids...Smather's vs. Higgs beach

bhcruise

My friend and I will be in Key west on Dec. 23 from 9:30 to 5 with four children ages 3,4,6, and 7. I am trying to decide on the best plan, right now I am thinking we can take the trolley then get off at Higgs Beach and let the kids play. Maybe later take trolley to the shipwreck museum. Is Higgs Beach a good beach for kids? The other option I have found is to just take a taxi to Smather's Beach. This is my friends first big trip without her husband, I am responsible for planning and do not want to lead us astray. :confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My friend and I will be in Key west on Dec. 23 from 9:30 to 5 with four children ages 3,4,6, and 7. I am trying to decide on the best plan, right now I am thinking we can take the trolley then get off at Higgs Beach and let the kids play. Maybe later take trolley to the shipwreck museum. Is Higgs Beach a good beach for kids? The other option I have found is to just take a taxi to Smather's Beach. This is my friends first big trip without her husband, I am responsible for planning and do not want to lead us astray. :confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think Higgs is a better alternative. Along with the beach itself there is the White Street pier and a smaller pier that you can walk out onto and usually see fish i the water. And there is the West Martello Tower and botanical garden which is nice to explore. This is a section of Higgs

609751630_o2Hzp-S.jpg

This is the smaller of the two piers

609751577_W7jhA-S.jpg

And a peek into the gardens

609752578_gWFyU-S.jpg

Pjk

If you don't want to do the beach thing - kids love the Butterfly Conservancy and the Key West Acuarium.

But if the beach is what you want do, I'd go to the Atalntic end of Duval to the Beach Club. Your kids can play while you have a cool drink.

Archived