Camcorders?

lynyrd

You may have trouble with the humidity and change of temperature from the cabin/ship to the outside. Don't panic. I thought my camcorder was broken, but it just needed time to adjust. Happened twice, once on the deck in Mazatlan and once, in Cozumel (at Chankanaab). Some people have mentioned wrapping it in a towel and/or plastic bag while it adjusts. I just waited. It was really frustrating though as I almost missed taking pictures of the sail away.

You may have trouble with the humidity and change of temperature from the cabin/ship to the outside. Don't panic. I thought my camcorder was broken, but it just needed time to adjust. Happened twice, once on the deck in Mazatlan and once, in Cozumel (at Chankanaab). Some people have mentioned wrapping it in a towel and/or plastic bag while it adjusts. I just waited. It was really frustrating though as I almost missed taking pictures of the sail away.

Another option that will work (from experience) is to bring along a heating pad, set it on low and lay it over your camera at night. Don't wrap it up because it might get too warm.

If you open your camera when it misbehaves because of the humidity you will notice a light coating of mist on the big shiny cylinder inside that makes it all happen in the camera. Don't ever touch the surface because you may permanently screw it up.

I've also opened it and used the blow dryer to get it to work before leaving the cabin.

We just bought a new camera last year and it is real sensitive to the humidity issue.

Mark T

Another option that will work (from experience) is to bring along a heating pad, set it on low and lay it over your camera at night. Don't wrap it up because it might get too warm.

Really shouldn't do that, Mark.:eek: From the Carnival "Welcome Aboard" brochure you receive w/your docs:

"The use of irons, heating pads, and candles are not allowed in the staterooms...."

Lynyrd - Camcorders also aren't allowed in the main showroom during any of the shows. Copyright issue. The CD will make that announcement. No camcorders or photos allowed during the performances.:o

I always take my camera AND camcorder on cruises. I have some great footage of the ship and the islands. Photos are great, but it surely is nice to be able to look at the tapes of the action and listen to the sounds. On some evenings, I even take it into the dining room, and have taped the waiters entertaining us...much fun for later viewing.

The first time I took my camcorder on a cruise, it 'froze up' on me...with a msg. "Mist detected"... and I was SO disappointed that I couldn't make it work for the duration of the cruise. Since then, the information I rec'd on this board has been invaluable.

I wrap the camcorder in a hand towel and keep it in it's case while in the cabin. Then, just before leaving the cabin, I take it out, and it adjusts itself to the temperature change before I get on deck. It's amazing what all I have learned by being on these boards!:)

Thanks again for this important info. I would have never thought about the humidity affecting the camera. Every time I get on here I learn so much. I can hardly make myself stop reading all the posts. I don't seem to be able to get anything else done at home. I still have 7 months to wait but can help wanting to plan everything right now.

Thanks again

lynyrd

Take the cameras and record some great memories. On and around the ship, and on excursions as well. Just remember to take extra tapes so you dont have to hunt or risk not finding the right ones. Be sure and take extra batteries, or if you have rechargeables, take extras as well as the charger and a power strip. We have spare batteries for our camcorder and digital camera both. Most of the cabins we have been in only had one available plug, so the power strip allowed for our multiple chargers.

As far as the shows, I only remember them saying no 'FLASH' photos, we have lots of pictures and some video of many events, including stage shows.

stage.JPG.4ba41268b5f4af001f1da3ea1fdf1aca.JPG

Hmmmm. I have copies of the Capers from my last two cruises. Where they have the announcements of the shows (production shows as well as comedians, etc.), it clearly says:

"Video taping and flash photography of the show is NOT allowed."

And, as I mentioned above, the CD has announced just prior to the shows: No video taping or flash photography.:rolleyes:

Cotton:

From the tone of your posts, I am assuming that you are under the impression that there is absolutely no photgraphy allowed in the show rooms. My understanding has always been that they only restrict videotaping and flash photography. I have seen many people taking non-flash pictures of the shows on various cruise lines and nobody from the ship seems to care.

The reason for not allowing flash photography is obvious in that the flashes would be an annoyance for the audience in addition to being dangerous for the performers, especially the dancers. Looking at the stage picture which WazAnOkie posted it looks like that was a non-flash photo due to the rich color and blurring of the dancers in the backround. I think it was perfectly okay for them to take that picture.

The reasons for not allowing videotaping of the shows are mostly for copyright issues and the possiblity that someone might try to tape a comedian or a singers show and try to sell it.

Archived