What to do in Key West??

boobooprincess

Here is what I suggest:

Start out at Mallory Square and walk thru the gates toward the Little Truman Whitehouse. Continue walking thru Truman Annex to the Southard Gate and see all the multi-million $ mansions in this gated community.

Exit Truman Annex and continue on Southard to Duval Street. Turn left on Duval Street until one block from Mallory Square and turn right on Green Street.

Walk over to the Marina area along the boardwalk to Schooner Wharf bar and Turtle Kraals. Walk inland one block to Caroline and have lunch at BO's Fish Wagon (looks like a junk yard but EXCELLENT fish sandwich). Go back to Schooner Wharf bar and listen to Michael McCloud (one of the very best singers in Key West!). Return to Mallory Square.

Take the Conch Train Tour to see all the sights of the island. Here are a few

KW Ideas.

BO's is a great suggestion for lunch. If your more in the mood for Breakfast while you're there go to Pepe's, on Caroline St., or Blue Heaven. The best breakfast's! If you like linen clothes and great jewlry there are two stores. One is Commotion at the Red Doors right near Pepe's on Caroline and the other is Local Color near Turtle Kraals and the Schooner Wharf Bar. They are owned by the same lady. I always like to walk Duval. I just love it in Key West.

Here is what I suggest:

Start out at Mallory Square and walk thru the gates toward the Little Truman Whitehouse. Continue walking thru Truman Annex to the Southard Gate and see all the multi-million $ mansions in this gated community.

Exit Truman Annex and continue on Southard to Duval Street. Turn left on Duval Street until one block from Mallory Square and turn right on Green Street.

Walk over to the Marina area along the boardwalk to Schooner Wharf bar and Turtle Kraals. Walk inland one block to Caroline and have lunch at BO's Fish Wagon (looks like a junk yard but EXCELLENT fish sandwich). Go back to Schooner Wharf bar and listen to Michael McCloud (one of the very best singers in Key West!). Return to Mallory Square.

Take the Conch Train Tour to see all the sights of the island. Here are a few

KW Ideas.

All great ideas...but stop somewhere and get some Key Lime Pie!

All great ideas...but stop somewhere and get some Key Lime Pie!

Ahhhh YES! The annual award winner is from the Blond Giraffe. One location is at 629 Duval St, one block up from Margaritaville (near the intersection of Southard and Duval Streets).

Take the Conch Train ride. Great way to pass an hour of your time, relax and see Key West and when you're done, you can get off and go spend time at the places that interested you the most while you were on the excursion. My DH and I just came off a cruise where KeyWest was our first port of call. Mallory Square will be your starting point when disembarking from a cruise. Great spot!

1830254448_ConchTrain-Close.JPG.0cae7761619d5233954a166791b488d5.JPG

The Conch bus is OK. The most fun we had in Key West was renting mopeds. The boat says not to do it, but it's totally as safe as mopeds could be. You get to see alot more and stop when you want. As long as you won't be drinking, it's the best way to go.

I hear the Butterfly Conservatory is really cool. I'll be there in September and plan to parasail and rent a jetski. Should be fun. I've been there once before and had to find the post office to mail a message ina bottle back to my kids . Hubby and I really enjoyed just strolling the streets and seeing all the pretty/beautiful houses.

• 1 month later...

This was a great place to visit. You will be amazed at the beauty, numbers and varieties of butterflies they have. Allow about an hour for this visit. We also went to Hemingways house and took the tour. It was pretty, fairly interesting and the tour guide was amusing and had some good stories.

We took the Conch shuttle around the island. It was get on/get off as much as you wanted and was around $7 p/p. It stopped at all the points of interest.

I have some places bookmarked if you are interested, all within walking distance from the port:

Key West Aquarium: http://www.keywestaquarium.com/contactus.htm

Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory: http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/index.htm

Mel Fisher Maritime Museum: http://www.melfisher.org/museum.htm

I hear the Butterfly Conservatory is really cool. I'll be there in September and plan to parasail and rent a jetski. Should be fun. I've been there once before and had to find the post office to mail a message ina bottle back to my kids . Hubby and I really enjoyed just strolling the streets and seeing all the pretty/beautiful houses.
Tell me about the message in a bottle. I would like to do that

Here is what I suggest:

Walk over to the Marina area along the boardwalk to Schooner Wharf bar and Turtle Kraals. Go back to Schooner Wharf bar and listen to Michael McCloud (one of the very best singers in Key West!).

Kal, you took the words right offa my fingers.. :D We've been to KW via land several times, including to Fantasyfest (not for the weak of heart... ;) ) and SWB is my absolute favorite....second only to Margaritaville (being the good parrothead I am..)

Even though it's labeled a "bar"....it's still a great place to chill out... but I do suggest, if it's a one-shot deal for KW...the Butterfly Conservancy, and a Conch Train Tour-kinda hokey, but like someone else said-definitely will give you an idea of places you might want to go back to...another "hidden gem" is to go the LaConcha hotel (used to be a Holiday Inn-not sure who has it now) and take the elevators all the way to the roof-beautiful panoramic views of the whole island.

The Bull and Whistle, also on Duval, is a neat bar...ask, and they'll give you a thumbtack...you then write a message on a dollar bill (yours), stick the thumbtack through it, weight it/wrap it up with 4 quarters, and throw it at the ceiling-if you do it right-the thumbtack will lodge the bill on the ceiling-and sooner or later the quarters will fall out and open the bill...leaving it on the ceiling... one word of caution though-unless you're into it, stay out of the rooftop bar on the 3rd floor-it's "clothing optional"...

Sloppy Joe's, also on Duval has a sidewalk web cam-you can arrange for friends to be on the website to see you wave!!

My favorite T-shirt that I didn't buy: "Key West-a small drinking town with a big fishing problem".

Good place to eat if you want to try Cuban Food-El Meson de Pepe's, which is right off of Malory...within a quick walk to the ship...

The one thing I wish is that our cruise (November on RCI Jewel) was staying to/through the sunset celebration on Mallory Square...to see Dominique and his amazing performing cats...

Kal, you took the words right offa my fingers.. :D ...

GREAT QUOTE!! I'll have to remember that one.

If you're a parrothead, then of course you've seen JB's recording studio! It's right next to the Schooner Wharf Bar. Go HERE!

We are only in Key West from 7-2, would we have time to do both the Butterfly Center and the conch tour? We will be traveling with a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. Any other recommendations? Thanks- these boards are so helpful (and keep me from getting any real work done!)

No, can't say that I have...at least not knowingly ;) I...um....err....uhhh...had a few "libations" shall we say at SWB during Fantasy Fest after the parade-and lets just say that there's still a spot on my shin where the scar is from those stairs....ahhh, I remember them well... ;) I guess I couldn't see over all the beads enough to watch where I was going.....yeah...that's it...the beads..not the libations did it... ;)

The Conch bus is OK. The most fun we had in Key West was renting mopeds. The boat says not to do it, but it's totally as safe as mopeds could be. You get to see alot more and stop when you want. As long as you won't be drinking, it's the best way to go.

We just returned from visiting my daughter in Key West over Easter. According to her, the above just isn't true. She has had friends who have died on mopeds in Key West.

Part of the reason they are so dangerous is that so many of the people who are driving cars or who are on mopeds are visiting from out of town, so they don't know exactly where they're going and the streets are so congested. When car meets moped, the moped loses. I was really surprised at her very outspoken position because she's very laid back and doesn't take life too seriously. Just my opinion. Sharon

What's the best thing to do in Key West? We are not big partiers, so we won't be barhopping, maybe just a few drinks, and we will not be there in the evening (7am to 3pm)....what do you all suggest?? Thanks for the input! ;)

My DW and I just returned from KW. I second the recommendation for a breakfast or lunch at Pepe's. It was our favorite casual place to dine. Great atmosphere and very friendly staff not to mention the tasty food. As for things to do, there are lots of visual feasts in KW. The architecture is so interesting and I enjoyed looking at all the boats in ports while strolling along the docks. The museum adjacent to the Hilton Hotel where the cruise ships dock had a wonderful exhibit. Duval Street has lots of shops, places to eat and drink, etc. We walked the entire length (about 1.5 miles) to South Beach and then took pictures at the Southernmost Point in the continental USA marker to remember our trip with....along with a few pirate flags we purchased.

We were in Key West last October and booked a really fun mini power boat trip on our own...it's not one of the excursions offered by the cruise line. Go to www.jungletours.com and you can check it out. It was a little pricey, but a whole lot of fun!!! We docked at Mallory Square, caught a cab over to Stock Key to the Seahorse Marina for our guided boat trip. We ended up being the only ones there first thing in the morning and got to cruise all the way around Key West coming right up beside our ship...that was neat!! They called a cab for us and headed back to Duvall St. for soem shopping and then back to the ship to continue to our next port of call.

Archived