Carnival Paradise Info

psufan34

Girlfriend and I are sailing on the Paradise in February. Doesn anyone have any pointers on the new terminal there in Long Beach? I cruised years ago on the Elation out of San Pedro, but looks like all of carnival's ships now load next to the Queen Mary. Also, does anyone have any information on bringing rum runners onboard in your checked baggage onto Paradise? I know the ships make most of their money off booze and shore excursions, but we're not going to pay $22 for a "buket" of beer which only contains 4 beers. Any insite anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Carnival Paradise 02/21/2011

Johnny Cash Birthday Cruise:D

We've sailed out of LB several times over the last few years, so I'm not sure I'd call the terminal there new. But anyway, one piece of advice I can give you, is to go early, and do the early check-in they offer there, starts about 9:30 and runs to almost 11:00. Then you can wait around or wander around or go the QM until boarding time, which usually starts between 11:30 and noon. According to some threads here, they are getting much tighter on smuggling alcohol, so it's a risk doing that, but I guess many are successful. We usually order alcohol from the Bon Voyage department and it's waiting in our cabin for us, much easier and safer. Many of the 'regular' mixed drinks are only about $5, just as they are in any bar. Have a great time on the Paradise, there are several pics in my signature.

We've sailed out of LB several times over the last few years, so I'm not sure I'd call the terminal there new. But anyway, one piece of advice I can give you, is to go early, and do the early check-in they offer there, starts about 9:30 and runs to almost 11:00. Then you can wait around or wander around or go the QM until boarding time, which usually starts between 11:30 and noon. According to some threads here, they are getting much tighter on smuggling alcohol, so it's a risk doing that, but I guess many are successful. We usually order alcohol from the Bon Voyage department and it's waiting in our cabin for us, much easier and safer. Many of the 'regular' mixed drinks are only about $5, just as they are in any bar. Have a great time on the Paradise, there are several pics in my signature.

You said to get there early. My question is why? Is it simply to spend more time on the ship or is it some other reason? We too are cruising in February (2/11), but the earliest I think we might be able to get to the ship is like 1:00 or 2:00 (darn kids have school and the DW wants them to attend a half day).

You said to get there early. My question is why? Is it simply to spend more time on the ship or is it some other reason? We too are cruising in February (2/11), but the earliest I think we might be able to get to the ship is like 1:00 or 2:00 (darn kids have school and the DW wants them to attend a half day).

This thread has the potential of getting out of hand...

However, I think you will be fine pacing the RR in your checked luggage. It does suck that the beer costs so much but it is worth it to get at least a bucket or two to enjoy on deck by the pool... Just my opinion.

This thread has the potential of getting out of hand...

However, I think you will be fine pacing the RR in your checked luggage. It does suck that the beer costs so much but it is worth it to get at least a bucket or two to enjoy on deck by the pool... Just my opinion.

Because the sooner I get there, the sooner my vacation starts. And we've had a contest going with some friends, to see who can get the earliest DOD on board.

I've found if you get there a bit later, say 2pm, the lines are gone. (I'm not sure on the Paradise, but this has certainly worked on HAL and RSS cruises I've been on.) Is this not true on the Paradise out of Long Beach?

That would probably be true, but then the earlier we get there the earlier our vacation starts, which is important on 3 and 4-day cruises. And if you get there early enough, there is waiting time (great people watching), but what lines there are are BEHIND you.

I like to board early, too. The earlier the better, IMO. My last cruise, I had to wait for friends to get off work, and then, due to weather, we had a horrendous time at the pier. I got 4 calls from Carnival telling me that my "suggested" time to board had changed-- first confirmed boarding at 10am, then postponed to noon, then to 3, then finally until after 5pm.. Carnival took everyone to the convention center and gave us horrible sandwiches and soda for our "inconvenience", and we got a whopping $10 in OBC for missing almost a complete day on the ship-- we finally got on board at 9pm, and then they flipped our port day and sea day, so we spent Saturday cruising around Catalina Island, and we got Sunday at Ensenada, which wasn't a bad thing, but for some reason, it felt like the ship was in a race to get back to Long Beach, because we were doing 22kts, and we kept hitting some serious waves that made a LOT of people seasick.

Did I complain?? Heck no!! I was on a cruise!! Although, with the late embark, it seemed to go by too quick...

Girlfriend and I are sailing on the Paradise in February. Doesn anyone have any pointers on the new terminal there in Long Beach? I cruised years ago on the Elation out of San Pedro, but looks like all of carnival's ships now load next to the Queen Mary. Also, does anyone have any information on bringing rum runners onboard in your checked baggage onto Paradise? I know the ships make most of their money off booze and shore excursions, but we're not going to pay $22 for a "buket" of beer which only contains 4 beers. Any insite anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Carnival Paradise 02/21/2011

Johnny Cash Birthday Cruise:D

We get there about 1pm. Sometimes there is a line, sometimes there isn't. Just luck of the draw. Parking is $15.

I appreciate the feedback so far. Yeah, I already figured the earlier the better as far as checking in and getting the embarkation taken care of. I worked at the cruise ship terminal in Galveston, TX part time, so I'm familiar with both the pre and post cruise madness. I've read on other posts that they are cracking down with the alchohol as well. But from what rum runners web site says, they are undetectable by x-ray. Curious to hear if people recently have tested this theory. Or do I need to write to Mythbusters about this one? lol I'd like to know what I'm going to be faced with so we can get all our ducks in a row now while we still have time.

They are definitely "detectable..." Mainly the cap and the neck (but the entire bottle could potentially be seen. However, when they are packed in between clothes it does not look like a typical bottle, so there is no suspicion causing the bag to be opened.

I highly discourage this type of activity... ;)

BUT (like O.J.) "If I did it..." I would put my bag of toiletries (bottles, tubes, etc.) on top of it or below it, and then sandwich all of that between clothes. It works like... errrr... would probably... errr... might maybe... work like a charm.

:D

I appreciate the feedback so far. Yeah, I already figured the earlier the better as far as checking in and getting the embarkation taken care of. I worked at the cruise ship terminal in Galveston, TX part time, so I'm familiar with both the pre and post cruise madness. I've read on other posts that they are cracking down with the alchohol as well. But from what rum runners web site says, they are undetectable by x-ray. Curious to hear if people recently have tested this theory. Or do I need to write to Mythbusters about this one? lol I'd like to know what I'm going to be faced with so we can get all our ducks in a row now while we still have time.

I have the answer you are looking for. I went on the splendor the end of May out of Long Beach, RR's in checked bag all made it, as well as the two in my cargo shorts. I also ordered a bottle from the Bon Voyage dept which was a little over $40, not to bad. Check in around 2 is usually not busy at all. Have a great Cruise!

You can park right at the cruise terminal for about $15 per day. If you plan to drop your bags with a porter, make sure to go to the LEFT!! They will rush up to you but if you drop off on the right, you will probably end up in the porter line. Also, keep your parking ticket stub even after you pay because you will have to use it to get OUT of the whole cruise port. Getting there after 12pm causes you not to have to wait in any long lines so don't feel like you have to rush to be there first! :D

Have a great cruise :)

Archived