buying a memory card

BrynnP

I have a Canon powershot A400. I want to get a memory card (or two) for my upcoming cruise. My question is: do digital cameras have limits to what size card they can accommodate? I'd like to buy a couple 512's to hold plenty of shots. How do I find out if my camera can support this? I've looked in the manual, but I can find nothing about a maximum memory card size.

Thanks, Brynn

The Steve's Digicam review of your camera says any size SD card is fine:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a400_pg2.html

I don't know if Sandisk has the same warranty, but Lexar guarantees compatibility. I had a camera years ago, were the Lexar card was flakely, they had no problem swapping it out. Good shooting.

Mountainhouse,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Have you heard of a Kingston brand SD card? I have found a 512 on the web for $29. That's a good price, but I don't want to end up with poor quality because of it. I also found a brand called Viking that has 256's for $12.00. Should I snap up these great internet prices, or be weary and stick with the more popular name brands?

Brynn

Mountainhouse,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Have you heard of a Kingston brand SD card? I have found a 512 on the web for $29. That's a good price, but I don't want to end up with poor quality because of it. I also found a brand called Viking that has 256's for $12.00. Should I snap up these great internet prices, or be weary and stick with the more popular name brands?

Brynn

I have many memory cards. I have Sandisk, Lexar and Kingston. All seem to hold their own. Out of the 15 cards I use - I have only run into one bad card....and it was a Lexar. Took it back and was able to get a replacement.

I should note - I use compact flash.

There are 2 reasons to buy a faster card:

1) Some cameras benefit from faster cards. That is, less delay between taking picutres because the card communicates faster.

2) When you download your photos to your computer, and faster card will do it quicker, assuming you have a USB 2.0 or Firewire card reader.

Comparison: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6133

On your, A400, I think most cards will perform the same in the camera. If you can wait a little longer for the photos to download to your computer, get a cheaper card. If not get a more expensive card. The fastest right now is the Sandisk Extreme III.

There are 2 reasons to buy a faster card:

1) Some cameras benefit from faster cards. That is, less delay between taking picutres because the card communicates faster.

2) When you download your photos to your computer, and faster card will do it quicker, assuming you have a USB 2.0 or Firewire card reader.

Comparison: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6133

On your, A400, I think most cards will perform the same in the camera. If you can wait a little longer for the photos to download to your computer, get a cheaper card. If not get a more expensive card. The fastest right now is the Sandisk Extreme III.

I took Mountainhouse's advice when we ordered our new camera today by also ordering 2 Sandisk Extreme III's cards. One 512 and also a 256. Now, you guys will be hearing from me when our new FZ20 arrives. We are new at this.

Gail

If going on a great trip and you want to make sure you get great pictures and might want a few enlargements, you should shoot on your highest quality setting. If you do that, you will not get 1000+ pictures per card. I only get 92 at my best setting on 4meg camera on 256 card. Especially if you want to crop something in a picture and make print. So buy more cards and shoot at best picture setting, unless you have a 2mg or less camera?

You all have great advice. I'm considering everything most carefully. I think I'll get a Kingston since the price is right and get more than I think I'll need. I'd love to take loads of pictures, but I also would like the option of blowing up a few of the great ones. After all, it's a cruise!

Brynn

Memory size is not a concern for newer digital cameras. Compatibility is a concern (i/e, scandisk, compact flash, etc.). A 512 MB will allow you to take about 420 picture with your camera set at the best quality. Mid quality you should be able to take around 700. I'm not sure how many pictures you want to take but a 512 should be plenty!

Memory size is not a concern for newer digital cameras. Compatibility is a concern (i/e, scandisk, compact flash, etc.). A 512 MB will allow you to take about 420 picture with your camera set at the best quality. Mid quality you should be able to take around 700.

Yes, compatibility is the first concern. You wouldn't buy an SD card for a camera that takes Compact Flash. However, card size IS a big concern. I agree with the earlier post that you should always shoot the highest resolution. Depending on the camera, how many MB each of those photos take vary dramatically. Nikon raw images are 4-5MB each.

Archived