Electronic Purchases at St. Martin

chrisxmoa

I think your purchase would be 'safe' as long as you buy from an established dealer. I'd suggest considering Chulani, Klass and Boolchands, all on Front Street, though I don't know if they even carry iPods.

That said, I've never recommended shopping for electronics here. I think there's a better selection online at very competitive prices, and often with free shipping and no sales tax.

Do your homework before you cruise. Check your local and online prices for the EXACT item that you want to buy, then compare the total price from home with down-island. Make sure that you're comparing the same item and that you'd receive a warranty that will be honored back home.

You may have to make some on-site decisions about the price comparison, as the St. Maarten stores may want to sell a 'package' that includes (for free?) an armband, a cable, headphones, etc. Be prepared for that.

gary

p.s. You mention St. Martin in your question -- that's the French side and is 220 volts. Stick to the Dutch side, St. Maarten, which is 110, as is the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck in buying cameras in St Maartin. I have bought several high price cameras and never had a problem. As the previous poster suggested do your homework ahead of time. I will be in St Marartin in November and I will be looking at Ipods and cameras.

Archived