Port's O Call-San Pedro--tell me about this Place

STARFISH*4

is it run-down like some of the reviews i have read?...is it worth spending an afternoon walking around...tell me about this place PLEASE:)

shopping, eating?

will be there in February for a pre-cruise night at the Crowne Plaza--around noon or so probably.

Thanks for any info;)

It's not run down at all.

We were there in March (a party of nine), and spent a comfortable night.

The restaurant is high priced, and we would caution against that, but there are several places nearby that are reasonable.

Crowne Plaza is in the industrial part of town, but the area about it is clean and well kept.

We spent several hours wandering about the evening before our cruise, and never once felt threatened or concerned. (and keep in mind, we are "country folk" so we tend to be easily "concerned".)

The CP offers a free airconditioned van to the cruise terminal. The van is new, the driver great, and they drop you off right at your ship.

For one night, it would be my first choice again.

It's not run down at all.

We were there in March (a party of nine), and spent a comfortable night.

The restaurant is high priced, and we would caution against that, but there are several places nearby that are reasonable.

Not sure which restaurant you are referring to. There are several within the Ports O' Call complex, none that I would consider expensive or especially great. Formerly the complex also had a lot of quaint shops, but most of those are now closed. Not a lot to do there, actually. There are several inexpensive seafood places where you can sit on the water and watch boats go by.

I would recommend instead that you consider a visit to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum, which has great displays (in the old ferry building) and wonderful ship models. It is just north of Ports O' Call and south of the cruise ship parking area.

Ports O'Call is a lovely place to stroll through. It is not run down...it's well worn. It still has plenty of shops open, from touristy to a beautiful art gallery (our own local artist Violet Parkhurst). The Ports O'Call restaurant and the Fish Market are good places to eat. The Fish Market has a great swordfish sandwich. I agree with Splinter, take advantage of the Maritime Museum. I like the Museum to refresh my memory of what Pedro looked like when my parents were kids. Pedro native...elcyd

Not sure which restaurant you are referring to. There are several within the Ports O' Call complex, none that I would consider expensive or especially great. Formerly the complex also had a lot of quaint shops, but most of those are now closed. Not a lot to do there, actually. There are several inexpensive seafood places where you can sit on the water and watch boats go by.

I would recommend instead that you consider a visit to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum, which has great displays (in the old ferry building) and wonderful ship models. It is just north of Ports O' Call and south of the cruise ship parking area.

Sorry Splinter, I was not clear. My reference was to the Crowne Plaza, not Port's O' Call. The restaurant within CP was more expensive than we expected.

Ugh, really? Certainly it is just my opinion but, I think the place is a pit. Most of the stores are closed down and instead there are street vendor type stands selling junk. I would much rather spend an afternoon at Shoreline Village in Long Beach.

I was just googling this place to see what restaurants are there.

We will be there 11/20 1 night pre cruise at Doubletree. We plan on having dinner there and watching the ship leave on Saturday, I think it is Princess.

I know it's a ways off but I will report back my thoughts on it.

Toni

Not sure how long it's been since you've been there Casey, but most the spaces are filled and there are no "vendor" type stands. It's not updated and could use a good splash of paint but otherwise is OK for an afternoon. Ports O Call restaurant has a nice patio as does Alcapulco. The Fish markets have excellent seafood and will cook it for you if you so wish, Seating is cafeteria for the fish markets so don't expect "fine dining" and you'll be fine. I would avoid Simons and the first fish market you see (it's a blue building). Other than that, have fun!! You may even want to try a nice "cruise" of the harbor on Spirit Cruises or if you are adventurous, a helicopter tour of the area.

I personally don't see the attraction to Shoreline Village. What is there? The Yardhouse and Tequila Willies? A few shops and a rundown carousel and game room? I don't see the value of spending extra cab fare to get there and back.

Not sure how long it's been since you've been there Casey, but most the spaces are filled and there are no "vendor" type stands. It's not updated and could use a good splash of paint but otherwise is OK for an afternoon. Ports O Call restaurant has a nice patio as does Alcapulco. The Fish markets have excellent seafood and will cook it for you if you so wish, Seating is cafeteria for the fish markets so don't expect "fine dining" and you'll be fine. I would avoid Simons and the first fish market you see (it's a blue building). Other than that, have fun!! You may even want to try a nice "cruise" of the harbor on Spirit Cruises or if you are adventurous, a helicopter tour of the area.

I personally don't see the attraction to Shoreline Village. What is there? The Yardhouse and Tequila Willies? A few shops and a rundown carousel and game room? I don't see the value of spending extra cab fare to get there and back.

Sorry, as I said, it just my opinion. We live 15 minutes away and were there on a Saturday this past August.

Archived