Anyone done the Pipiwai Trail to Waimoku Falls?

YoungRestlessOne

DH and I will be en route to Hawaii exactly one week from today! Our first day in Maui (DH's birthday no less), we are planning to drive the RTH on our own. We really want to hike the Pipiwai Trail to Waimoku Falls, so we are planning on getting an early start - armed with our Revealed guide - and driving all the way to Oheo Gulch area and then working our way back...culminating in a nice birthday dinner for DH at Mama's Fish House in Paia.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this trail. How long did it take you? Did you think it was worth the time invested? I'm just curious whether this is really a good plan for us or not.

we are planning to drive the RTH on our own. We really want to hike the Pipiwai Trail to Waimoku Falls, so we are planning on getting an early start - armed with our Revealed guide - and driving all the way to Oheo Gulch area and then working our way back...culminating in a nice birthday dinner for DH at Mama's Fish House in Paia.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this trail. How long did it take you? Did you think it was worth the time invested? I'm just curious whether this is really a good plan for us or not.

Depending on how many stops you make along the way to Hana you should have plenty of time to do all the things you have planned and not be to rushed. The Pipiwai trail is a very easy walk but with all the rain we are having on Maui (as I write this it is really coming down and has been on and off for the last week) the trail will be a bit slippery. With a couple of stops for pictures at a couple of the pools and falls alond the way (including getting my picture taken under the falls) it took us just less than 3 hours.

The trail was not bad at all when we walked it Monday and it had been rainy for a few days prior to our arrival so it should still be fine.

Most people only spend about 15 - 20 minutes at the falls but when each gets to the point where it comes into view everyone seems to have the same reaction - WOW. The pool at the base of Waimoku falls was only waist deep or less and only about 50 X 100 feet. Not really a good place to swim or jump for sure. Save all that stuff for Waimea Falls on Kauai which is a great place for both these activities and a nice place to eat the lunch I know you will bring.

When you leave the Oheo Gulch area we continued on the back side south instead of going back with the million other people and like in 2004 the road was fine - no problems and a lot faster than going back the Hana way. I don't let the " insurance won't pay " thing stop me because I don't buy their extra coverage anyway. My personal insurance will cover me on or off any road. There are short stretches of road that are one lane for a couple of hundred feet just use good judgement when meeting cars. Take your time and enjoy the extra time you will have and the extremely good views you will see.

I will post a few pictures when we get home next week of the road, trail and island.

Depending on how many stops you make along the way to Hana you should have plenty of time to do all the things you have planned and not be to rushed. The Pipiwai trail is a very easy walk but with all the rain we are having on Maui (as I write this it is really coming down and has been on and off for the last week) the trail will be a bit slippery. With a couple of stops for pictures at a couple of the pools and falls alond the way (including getting my picture taken under the falls) it took us just less than 3 hours.

The trail was not bad at all when we walked it Monday and it had been rainy for a few days prior to our arrival so it should still be fine.

Most people only spend about 15 - 20 minutes at the falls but when each gets to the point where it comes into view everyone seems to have the same reaction - WOW. The pool at the base of Waimoku falls was only waist deep or less and only about 50 X 100 feet. Not really a good place to swim or jump for sure. Save all that stuff for Waimea Falls on Kauai which is a great place for both these activities and a nice place to eat the lunch I know you will bring.

When you leave the Oheo Gulch area we continued on the back side south instead of going back with the million other people and like in 2004 the road was fine - no problems and a lot faster than going back the Hana way. I don't let the " insurance won't pay " thing stop me because I don't buy their extra coverage anyway. My personal insurance will cover me on or off any road. There are short stretches of road that are one lane for a couple of hundred feet just use good judgement when meeting cars. Take your time and enjoy the extra time you will have and the extremely good views you will see.

I will post a few pictures when we get home next week of the road, trail and island.

Thanks! This is all useful info. Our plan at the moment is to drive directly to Oheo Gulch and hike the trail to Waimoku Falls first, then work our way back to catch the other stuff on the Hana Road we want to see. But the more I read the more taking the road all the way around seems doable...so we will have a decision to make. I need to carefully examine our "must do's" on the Hana Road so we can engage in prudent time management. Sounds like you had a great time on the trail.

Mahalo!

Archived