Seeking feedback on Atlantis Rio/Brazil/Carnivale Cruise

YoungRestlessOne

My partner and I have done two Atlantis cruises and are getting ready to do one with RSVP. We are intrigued by the South American itinerary that Atlantis had a few years back and are hoping they do that one again soon. For those who might have done this particular cruise, what did you think of it?

I was fortunate to have sailed on the first Atlantis South America cruise which they chartered an Oceania Cruise Line Ship. As I will be on the Hawaii cruise with you I can answer any questions you have either over drinks or dinner on the Pride of America.

Rather than do a big post here...all I will say is I loved the cruise, loved the itinerary. Witnessing the first night of Carnivale was almost a life changing experience (for the good). Rio...was fantastic and lived up to its name.

Downside...Oceania I was displeased with. Some of the administrative element with Atlantis left something to be desired.

All in all, the trip was fantastic. If they were to do a west coast South America cruise where I could do an excursion to Macchu Picchu...I'd book in a heart beat.

Look forward to seeing you both next week

Tom

My partner and I have done two Atlantis cruises and are getting ready to do one with RSVP. We are intrigued by the South American itinerary that Atlantis had a few years back and are hoping they do that one again soon. For those who might have done this particular cruise, what did you think of it?

I was on the cruise the next year after Tom and our itinerary was the reverse. We had Mardi Gras in Buenos Aires and cruised to Rio. That was my first Atlantis trip and, although I missed Rio's Carnivale, it got me hooked on Atlantis (as you can see from my signature). Sailing into Rio's harbor in the morning is one of the most magnificent views I've ever seen. (Sailing into Sydney harbor will take your breath away, too.)

Unlike Tom, I found Oceania a great cruise line and others have paled in comparison (well, perhaps not Regent 7 Seas, which was the line for the Tahiti cruise). But, the third and last Atlantis Rio cruise was on another cruise line - Celebrity, perhaps?

I can't recommend the Rio/BsAs cruise enough. If Atlantis does repeat it, I'd be very tempted to do it, again. There's a rumor that Atlantis may do another Australian cruise in late 2011 or sometime in 2012 and I'd repeat that, too.

Enjoy the Hawaiian Islands and RSVP. ;)

If there is another Aussie trip in 2012...I will do it.

Oceania...maybe it was because it was their first gay charter.....but I found the service poor. A lot of attitude by the staff. I had lunch with the hotel manager and discussed my obsevations, especially in the diningroom which were plain out bad. He said that the crew was use to much older passengers, that did not require much attention, did not fill the diningroom in such waves and basically were not much work. He said on this cruise...the crew is having to really work and they dont like it.

Perhaps on your voyage they were better prepared.

On the Atalntis first Asia cruise...it was on Azamara,,,,and the ship was a sister (identical) to the Oceania ship. The staff, crew all the way to the Captain bent over backwards. I had lunch with the Captain and his wife.....he said Azamara really wants the gay business and will break their backs to provide the best. They did and they won my future business.

But as to the itinerary....all the ports were great.

So if there is another OZ cruise.....you got yourself a roomie.

PS..in Rio do the tandem hang gliding....I almost pissed in my pants...loved it. Now to get to New Zealand to bungee jump! Then I wont have to go potty for a month!

Oceania...maybe it was because it was their first gay charter.....but I found the service poor. A lot of attitude by the staff.

Whatever you said at dinner that night to the Hotel Manager (was it "pillow talk"? :p) must have worked, Tom. The entire Insignia staff on my cruise was great. I'd sail Oceania, again, in a heartbeat. And, Azamara as well, should I get the chance. (BTW, I note Pied Piper has an Azamara cruise or two on their calendar.)

If the OZ cruise comes up, again, and Cairns (Great Barrier Reef) is a port, count me in.

I hope the Original Poster does make the So. Am. cruise if it comes up, again.

Tom, you still practicing that horizontal hula for Hawaii? :eek:

It seems on every cruise I chat with authoritative people on board.......I learn much.

Horizontal hula...me? You will have the original poster think I am Karen Walker when in fact I am more Rosario.

Yes, the South America cruise is the way to go. I was amazed at how much Buenas Aires reminded me of Europe.

Hawaii......time for diamond....................head.:rolleyes:

I was fortunate to have sailed on the first Atlantis South America cruise which they chartered an Oceania Cruise Line Ship. As I will be on the Hawaii cruise with you I can answer any questions you have either over drinks or dinner on the Pride of America.

Rather than do a big post here...all I will say is I loved the cruise, loved the itinerary. Witnessing the first night of Carnivale was almost a life changing experience (for the good). Rio...was fantastic and lived up to its name.

Downside...Oceania I was displeased with. Some of the administrative element with Atlantis left something to be desired.

All in all, the trip was fantastic. If they were to do a west coast South America cruise where I could do an excursion to Macchu Picchu...I'd book in a heart beat.

Look forward to seeing you both next week

Tom

Thanks for the feedback! Can't wait to meet you in person and get more impressions of that particular cruise. The South American and Australia/New Zealand itineraries are ones that my husband and I are both really interested in doing. But due to the cost of the all-gay cruises, we can only afford to do one every 2 or 3 years. Interesting that you commented on the administrative weaknesses of Atlantis. We have enjoyed both of our cruises with them, but we have always found their organizational skills and attention to detail to be lacking. Maybe we just have very high standards...who knows? LOL See you soon!

Chad

I was on the cruise the next year after Tom and our itinerary was the reverse. We had Mardi Gras in Buenos Aires and cruised to Rio. That was my first Atlantis trip and, although I missed Rio's Carnivale, it got me hooked on Atlantis (as you can see from my signature). Sailing into Rio's harbor in the morning is one of the most magnificent views I've ever seen. (Sailing into Sydney harbor will take your breath away, too.)

Unlike Tom, I found Oceania a great cruise line and others have paled in comparison (well, perhaps not Regent 7 Seas, which was the line for the Tahiti cruise). But, the third and last Atlantis Rio cruise was on another cruise line - Celebrity, perhaps?

I can't recommend the Rio/BsAs cruise enough. If Atlantis does repeat it, I'd be very tempted to do it, again. There's a rumor that Atlantis may do another Australian cruise in late 2011 or sometime in 2012 and I'd repeat that, too.

Enjoy the Hawaiian Islands and RSVP. ;)

God willing, my husband and I will make it to South America and Australia. I notice on their site that Pied Piper Travel has a January 2012 cruise to Australia and New Zealand planned on Celebrity. The itinerary looks pretty comprehensive. We may consider that one and just get the cheapest inside cabin to make the trip affordable for us.

Will you be cruising with us to Hawaii next week?

Will you be cruising with us to Hawaii next week?

Sadly, no. :( I love Hawaii and try to get there at least once a year. (It's pretty easy and relatively cheap from SF.) If I'm going for a week, I stay on Waikiki and enjoy the people watching and sunsets from Hula's Bar and Lei Stand. If I'm to be in Hawaii more than a week, I go to Kaua'i. It's my favorite of the islands that I've visited and I know you guys get a day there. Make a trip to Kaua'i's north shore if you get the chance - pure heaven. Take care of Tom on board. He needs a firm hand...if you know what I mean. :eek:

If you like the RSVP experience, think about the July 2011 Med Cruise (Barcelona/Barcelona). I'll probably be on that one.

Happy cruising. :)

Sadly, no. :( I love Hawaii and try to get there at least once a year. (It's pretty easy and relatively cheap from SF.) If I'm going for a week, I stay on Waikiki and enjoy the people watching and sunsets from Hula's Bar and Lei Stand. If I'm to be in Hawaii more than a week, I go to Kaua'i. It's my favorite of the islands that I've visited and I know you guys get a day there. Make a trip to Kaua'i's north shore if you get the chance - pure heaven. Take care of Tom on board. He needs a firm hand...if you know what I mean. :eek:

If you like the RSVP experience, think about the July 2011 Med Cruise (Barcelona/Barcelona). I'll probably be on that one.

Happy cruising. :)

Sfgoguy, we are planning to rent a car and drive the North shore our first day on Kauai. Anything specific you would suggest not to miss up there? We probably will pass on the July 2011 Med cruise just because we just did a Med cruise in 2008 (a straight cruise, but we were asked by a close friend to go, and it was fun). We also have a week in Sonoma planned for July 2011 so we probably won't be doing another cruise until 2012, sadly :(.

Sfgoguy, we are planning to rent a car and drive the North shore our first day on Kauai. Anything specific you would suggest not to miss up there?

the following Kaua'i north shore sightseeing options:

(1) take the main, public road to its dead end. You'll pass very scenic beaches and the funky town of Hanalei (good place to pick-up a picnic lunch). At the end is a wonderful, large beach. Caveat - the "red dirt" you'll encounter off the "beaten paths" will not wash out of socks, sneakers, shorts, or shirts. And, if you swim, don't swim too far out - there are sharks. :eek:

(2) off the main road, about 1/2 way to the end, there's a private (but open to the public) road that goes into the Princeville resort. It's a very chic and expensive area and at the end of the road is the St. Regis Princeville Hotel. Park in the unattended (free) lot and walk the hotel grounds. The hotel is built on the side of a steep cliff and you enter the lobby at the top of the cliff. Guest rooms cascade down the cliffside to the beach/pool area. There are wonderful, distant views of the Napali Coast from here.

(3) if you have time and the ship offers an excursion, take a catamaran tour of the Napali coast (your cruise ship may pass it and, if so, you'll get a quick glimpse). It's nature at its best and only visible close-up from air (a helicopter) or water. There are hiking trails, but you don't look back at the coast line, just out to sea. (And remember the "red dirt" warning above if you hike.) There are grottos reminiscent of the Isle of Capri everywhere - and sea turtles and dolphins in abundance. Heaven!

Most all the roads on Kaua'i are only 2-lane and there are many 1-lane bridges, so traffic can be slow. Allow at least 5 hours roundtrip for all the road travel above - more time if you want to linger on a beach.

Just relating all this makes me envious of you guys and makes me want to book a return trip to Kaua'i. I hope you enjoy Kaua'i and all the Hawaiian islands. Happy cruising. :)

BTW, where do you guys live?

We sailed on the Atlantis SA cruise that began in Rio in 08. That was the second time we had been to Rio for Carnavale. In 04 we did it on the QM2 from Miami. It is expensive so save your pennies. Many men went on either one or neither of the Carnavale nights. I can't imagine going all the way to Rio and not seeing what is one of the most amazing spectacles in the world. It covers two nights from about 9 PM to 6 AM so don't try to arrive the day of Carnavale. You need to be well rested. Atlantis waited too long to arrange the pre-cruise hotel and thus had to book those who opted for the pre-cruise arrangements into a hotel in Sao Paulo and then flew them to Rio on the day of the cruise. If you go book a hotel in Rio well in advance or you will be out of luck. We went both nights for the total Sambadrome experience. It is great to sit in the same section in which many of the Atlantis passengers are seated. If you book the Sambadrome seats through Atlantis you will be transported to and from the Sambadrome and will sit with shipmates. Our Atlantis cruise went from Rio to Buenos Aires. The best port along the way was Buzios. Once you are in BA try to book an Antarctic cruise if you have the time and money. After that long, expensive flight we decided to make the most of the trip and it was well worth it. We found a Princess cruise RT from Buenos Aires that lasted about 15 days. Another once in a lifetime experience.

the following Kaua'i north shore sightseeing options:

(1) take the main, public road to its dead end. You'll pass very scenic beaches and the funky town of Hanalei (good place to pick-up a picnic lunch). At the end is a wonderful, large beach. Caveat - the "red dirt" you'll encounter off the "beaten paths" will not wash out of socks, sneakers, shorts, or shirts. And, if you swim, don't swim too far out - there are sharks. :eek:

(2) off the main road, about 1/2 way to the end, there's a private (but open to the public) road that goes into the Princeville resort. It's a very chic and expensive area and at the end of the road is the St. Regis Princeville Hotel. Park in the unattended (free) lot and walk the hotel grounds. The hotel is built on the side of a steep cliff and you enter the lobby at the top of the cliff. Guest rooms cascade down the cliffside to the beach/pool area. There are wonderful, distant views of the Napali Coast from here.

(3) if you have time and the ship offers an excursion, take a catamaran tour of the Napali coast (your cruise ship may pass it and, if so, you'll get a quick glimpse). It's nature at its best and only visible close-up from air (a helicopter) or water. There are hiking trails, but you don't look back at the coast line, just out to sea. (And remember the "red dirt" warning above if you hike.) There are grottos reminiscent of the Isle of Capri everywhere - and sea turtles and dolphins in abundance. Heaven!

Most all the roads on Kaua'i are only 2-lane and there are many 1-lane bridges, so traffic can be slow. Allow at least 5 hours roundtrip for all the road travel above - more time if you want to linger on a beach.

Just relating all this makes me envious of you guys and makes me want to book a return trip to Kaua'i. I hope you enjoy Kaua'i and all the Hawaiian islands. Happy cruising. :)

BTW, where do you guys live?

We live in Columbus, Ohio. We are going to take a Blue Hawaiian helicopter flight on the 1/2 day that we have in Kauai, so we should get good views of Waimea Canyon and the NaPali Coast that way from what I've heard. Based on your recommendations, we will definitely stop in Hanalei and drive the road all the way to its end. Have you been to the lighthouse and bird sanctuary? Just wondering whether it's worth the time. I keep hearing that Kaua'i is the lushest and most beautiful of the islands. I cannot wait! We are getting very excited now.

I really appreciate you taking the time to recommend some things!

We sailed on the Atlantis SA cruise that began in Rio in 08. That was the second time we had been to Rio for Carnavale. In 04 we did it on the QM2 from Miami. It is expensive so save your pennies. Many men went on either one or neither of the Carnavale nights. I can't imagine going all the way to Rio and not seeing what is one of the most amazing spectacles in the world. It covers two nights from about 9 PM to 6 AM so don't try to arrive the day of Carnavale. You need to be well rested. Atlantis waited too long to arrange the pre-cruise hotel and thus had to book those who opted for the pre-cruise arrangements into a hotel in Sao Paulo and then flew them to Rio on the day of the cruise. If you go book a hotel in Rio well in advance or you will be out of luck. We went both nights for the total Sambadrome experience. It is great to sit in the same section in which many of the Atlantis passengers are seated. If you book the Sambadrome seats through Atlantis you will be transported to and from the Sambadrome and will sit with shipmates. Our Atlantis cruise went from Rio to Buenos Aires. The best port along the way was Buzios. Once you are in BA try to book an Antarctic cruise if you have the time and money. After that long, expensive flight we decided to make the most of the trip and it was well worth it. We found a Princess cruise RT from Buenos Aires that lasted about 15 days. Another once in a lifetime experience.

So you did back-to-back cruises? That's awesome! Sounds like a wonderful experience. The more I hear about the Rio cruise, the more I want to do it the next time it becomes available.

So you did back-to-back cruises? That's awesome! Sounds like a wonderful experience. The more I hear about the Rio cruise, the more I want to do it the next time it becomes available.

It wasn't a true back-to-back cruise. Atlantis was on Celebrity and the Antarctica sailing was on the Star Princess. There aren't a large number of Antarctic cruises because the number of ships is controlled so you would have to book before heading to Rio. With the decline of the dollar the price of Sambadrome tickets has skyrocketed. I think general admission is now in the $300. per night per person range which gives you access to the concrete stone steps in a reserved "space". No chairs. Just bring comfortable cushions. Anyhow, you are standing a good deal of the time. Booking the tickets through Atlantis includes the transport from the ship and return which is a big advantage but you pay a little extra for that.

This was my first cruise ever. What a great experience. I highly recommend it. It was great to experience Carnivale and then come back to my floating 5-star hotel to crash. The Samba competition in the Sambadrome is definitely not to be missed. I have never seen and experienced such a celebration of life. This particular cruise seems to attract a very diverse internatonal crowd. About a third of the guests were from Europe, a third from USA and the remainder from Australia and South Africa. It was really fun to mingle and socialize with such a diverse crowd. Following Carnivale, we sailed to Buenos Aires. We stopped at many ports along the way. These would be difficult places to see on your own, unless you speak multiple languages. My favorites were Buzios, Punta del Este and Florianopolis. I would definitely do this cruise again the next time it is offered. In the meantime, I will continue to do the Atlantis Mediterranean cruises.

We are going to take a Blue Hawaiian helicopter flight on the 1/2 day that we have in Kauai, so we should get good views of Waimea Canyon and the NaPali Coast that way from what I've heard. Have you been to the lighthouse and bird sanctuary? Just wondering whether it's worth the time. I keep hearing that Kaua'i is the lushest and most beautiful of the islands. I cannot wait! We are getting very excited now.

Yes, I have been to the lighthouse (it's very close to the Princeville area I mentioned) and the bird sanctuary. They are worth visiting as secondary sites - if you have time. If you're only ashore for a 1/2 day, you may not get to do much more than the helicopter ride (I believe that small airport is on the north shore so you might have time afterwards to get to Hanalei, at least, and walk around the funky shoppes). Whatever, enjoy. Aloha! ;)

Archived