yes, it's yet ANOTHER ES question

zaknzoey

OK, you ES masters out there, I have a question.

I read in the ES rules at Carnival this:

"(iii) is available for booking at the time the request is reviewed by Carnival's reservation agents"

So, earlier today I checked rates and my cruise dropped by $300.00! So, I grabbed the phone and called my online TA from the site that shall not be named to submit a PP form. She checked it out and verified and sent it on.

So, fast forward a couple hours, I checked again, and that rate is no longer posted. So, is my online TA person I spoke to from the site that shall not be named considered a "Carnival reservation agent" or does that mean ONLY the people AT Carnival when they do the verifying???

I just want to know if I'm not going to get the rate drop now and they'll say, "NOPE. when WE checked it had changed"

I mean I know sometimes it can take a day before they even work your request.

Has anyone submitted a rate drop only for Carnival to tell you "well, when I checked it wasn't there anymore, so no, you DON'T get it." :(

"(iii) is available for booking at the time the request is reviewed by Carnival's reservation agents"

So, earlier today I checked rates and my cruise dropped by $300.00! So, I grabbed the phone and called my online TA from the site that shall not be named to submit a PP form. She checked it out and verified and sent it on.

So, fast forward a couple hours, I checked again, and that rate is no longer posted. So, is my online TA person I spoke to from the site that shall not be named considered a "Carnival reservation agent" or does that mean ONLY the people AT Carnival when they do the verifying???

I just want to know if I'm not going to get the rate drop now and they'll say, "NOPE. when WE checked it had changed"

Has anyone submitted a rate drop only for Carnival to tell you "well, when I checked it wasn't there anymore, so no, you DON'T get it." :(

You're OK - they can check backward for rates. In the future, however, it might be a good idea to save a screenshot (or at worst a printout) in case of any issues! ken

I'd be more afraid that they would say "oops....that was posted by mistake" and not honor it as a price drop :o .

I did fail to mention that I did get a screen cap and have it saved in my documents. I just wondered if anyone was ever turned down because when they reviewed it, the price you found was not there anymore.

Thanks! I can feel my blood pressure dropping back to normal now.

We had a price "drop" in the Gov't fees & taxes this afternoon of $150. Of course Carnival won't honor it, as it's only the room rate. But I would think if the port fees changed we should get the difference! I called Carnival, they told me "Nope". Bummer... :mad:

We had a price "drop" in the Gov't fees & taxes this afternoon of $150. Of course Carnival won't honor it, as it's only the room rate. But I would think if the port fees changed we should get the difference! I called Carnival, they told me "Nope". Bummer... :mad:

Just to calm you .. if fees and taxes are down when you sail .. each person will get a OBC for the amount of overpayment of taxes and fees.

Its just the fare that you can price match.

I was happy we both got $7.04 for fees and taxes going down... but I cant figure out how they could have gone down $150 .. something wrong there... as ours total is about that, so they would have to go below zero. usually they fluctuate by small amounts ..so there is another explanation. Did you book with a TA who broke out port charges? Something. How many people??

Just to calm you .. if fees and taxes are down when you sail .. each person will get a OBC for the amount of overpayment of taxes and fees.

I was happy we both got $7.04 for fees and taxes going down... but I cant figure out how they could have gone down $150 .. something wrong there... as ours total is about that, so they would have to go below zero. usually they fluctuate by small amounts ..so there is another explanation. Did you book with a TA who broke out port charges? Something. How many people??

We booked through Carnival. When we booked, tax and fees for the both of us were $366.14 total, today they were $214.14. I ran through the whole booking process just to make sure it was right. And then I called Carnival to double check. She didn't say anything about the OBC at the time of sailing though. We also have 300+ days to go so I'm sure it's going to change between now and then.

We booked through Carnival. When we booked, tax and fees for the both of us were $366.14 total, today they were $214.14. I ran through the whole booking process just to make sure it was right. And then I called Carnival to double check. She didn't say anything about the OBC at the time of sailing though. We also have 300+ days to go so I'm sure it's going to change between now and then.

Thats why I am saying it makes no sense .. if you are using the taxes and fees for 7 day Valor Sept 2011 for instance.. this is a copy and past from the Carnival site.

Gov't Fees & Taxes $160.42 (for 2 people of course .. so half that pp)

they have never been so high that they would be over $150 per person. Iv never seen taxes and fees that high, so there is something you are misreading. When you add up and look at the bottom line, is it the same as the price now is total when you pretend to book??

Im just sure that taxes and fees could not have come down as much as you say.

Thats why I am saying it makes no sense .. if you are using the taxes and fees for 7 day Valor Sept 2011 for instance.. this is a copy and past from the Carnival site.

Gov't Fees & Taxes $160.42 (for 2 people of course .. so half that pp)

they have never been so high that they would be over $150 per person. Iv never seen taxes and fees that high, so there is something you are misreading. When you add up and look at the bottom line, is it the same as the price now is total when you pretend to book??

Im just sure that taxes and fees could not have come down as much as you say.

Right, you would think I'm not reading something or I'm missing something somewhere... however...

This is on Carnival's site right now if I were booking a new sailing:

Total 2 Guests: $2,078.00 $214.14 $2,292.14

This is from my booking:

Total (2) Guests: $2,078.00 $366.14 $2,444.14

Other then sending you the actual screen shots of my booking vs. booking a new sailing on the same ship/same day/same cat. I don't know how else to explain it! And it's not $!50 pp, it's $150 difference total. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that part. Regardless, it's still $150!!

I dont know what you booked, so I cant even know what you are seeing for fares .. sorry.

good luck. Something there somewhere, if it were me Id find out what, and ask my PVP. See if your PVP agrees its changed that much. It doesnt make sense to me.

But....if the OP is prior to final payment (which at 300+ days they are) Carnival adjusts the balance owed....right ?? :confused:

I dont know what you booked, so I cant even know what you are seeing for fares .. sorry.

good luck. Something there somewhere, if it were me Id find out what, and ask my PVP. See if your PVP agrees its changed that much. It doesnt make sense to me.

We booked an OS. So the cruise fare is the same, just the taxes are off. I don't get it. And I don't know why Carnival was no help... she wouldn't even explain the difference. Just that they won't adjust the total if the taxes or fees change.

I don't think I have a PVP if I booked online through Carnival. I'll call again in the am and try to get to the bottom of it. I was just curious if anyone noticed a considerable difference there.

But....if the OP is prior to final payment (which at 300+ days they are) Carnival adjusts the balance owed....right ?? :confused:

No, Carnival wouldn't adjust the balance on the "fees". Only the cruise rate. So the rate for the room itself, not taxes or port fees. Something is fishy!

No, Carnival wouldn't adjust the balance on the "fees". Only the cruise rate. So the rate for the room itself, not taxes or port fees. Something is fishy!

I thought it happened automatically.

I know that a price drop form is not the way to make it happen - because it is not the room rate that changed. But it still seems to me that the total owed on the balance of the reservation would be adjusted, to show the correct fees owed.

Right, you would think I'm not reading something or I'm missing something somewhere... however...

This is on Carnival's site right now if I were booking a new sailing:

Total 2 Guests: $2,078.00 $214.14 $2,292.14

This is from my booking:

Total (2) Guests: $2,078.00 $366.14 $2,444.14

Other then sending you the actual screen shots of my booking vs. booking a new sailing on the same ship/same day/same cat. I don't know how else to explain it! And it's not $!50 pp, it's $150 difference total. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that part. Regardless, it's still $150!!

My taxes have gone down $123.10 recently so it's not only you. The price of the room per person has not changed at all.

Carnival does not handle drops in Govt Fees and Taxes under the ES Price Protection (based on Cruisefare only) - they WILL adjust your Govt Fees and Taxes just prior to your sailing and credit your S&S Account for any net drop. They don't micro-manage the Govt Fees and Taxes changes during the life of your booking, just at the end - they may adjust these accordingly at the time you make any major change to the booking, like upgrading cabin or adding a passenger, otherwise they'll make just a final adjustment on the net change at time of sailing. This is generally the mysterious "credit" that (lucky) cruisers find on their S&S account the first day or so. ken

Carnival does not handle drops in Govt Fees and Taxes under the ES Price Protection (based on Cruisefare only) - they WILL adjust your Govt Fees and Taxes just prior to your sailing and credit your S&S Account for any drop. ken

Ahhhh...so that's the key. They make the adjustment - once, just prior to sailing. That make sense!

OK, quick update.

I've learned a few things with this one experience. FIRST, I will NEVER book through an online TA again. I will go Carnival direct from here on out.

Got home today and logged on to Carnival to view my cruise docs. I learned a while back that the price change, if approved, is always posted here right away.

Well, there was a $200.00 drop (thanks) but not a $300.00 drop, which was the difference I found first. I know why too. After I checked again last night, the Resident no longer there, but there was a past guest rate, which was the $200 drop. I mean, that's good, but hey, I want the $300 !!!

So I called (the site that shall not be named) and told them what I found and they didn't even have THAT information. All they said was they saw where the PP form had been submitted but there was no reply yet, call back tomorrow.

So, I called Carnival and asked why 200 not 300. and you guessed it. They said you have to ask your online TA from (the site that shall not be named) to ask us and we'll tell them, not you. Okaaaaaaaay..........

Anyway, looks like I got the $200 drop but I'm not through yet. I have a screen cap of the $300 and I guess I'll call (the site that shall not be named) tomorrow and see what they can do.

More to come...................

I had a TA tell me it wasnt worth their time to do a $30 pp price drop. That was the last time I didnt book direct. This same TA now also charges $25 pp per change (yes a price drop counts as a change)

I have always thought it strange to consider an online travel site to be my "travel agent." I mean, it's not like a guy named Fred is doing the research, booking, processing payments, etc... for me. I did all that myself.

But ...... No more booking for me through (site can't be named..whatever) :rolleyes:

That is exactly the way it works, I checked mine a few weeks ago and noticed that the listed fees and taxes are actually higher. The fees and taxes are not controlled by CCL so they should not be expected to ES rate those.

That is exactly the way it works, I checked mine a few weeks ago and noticed that the listed fees and taxes are actually higher. The fees and taxes are not controlled by CCL so they should not be expected to ES rate those.

Im not so sure they are not negotiated in some way by CCL and the cruiselines. If it was some flat tax per head, then why would CCL on the same route charge much less than RCL.

Even out of Galveston, 7 days on Carnival I think was like $47 for taxes and fees and $87 on RCL. How could RCL taxes and fees be almost double. Someone said cruiselines break them out differently... so there is some control by CCL, though I dont pretend to know how it works.

Archived