Question About Sign and Sail Card

Starlight70007

My dh and I have a cruise booked for January 2006 on Carnival Victory and this will be our first. I understand that all purchases go onto this card as the ship is cashless.

Can you use a debit card (w/ visa logo) to pay for this? If you can, do they freeze all other funds in that account for the duration of the trip to guarantee your payment?

I am just trying to plan ahead with how much cash and travelers checks we should take if they do freeze the account.

Thanks,

Tara

Carnival Victory - January 1, 2006

Western Carribean

I use a Visa debit card to book the cruise, and then they swipe the card when I'm checking in at the terminal. I just make sure I have enough money in that account to handle everything. (There won't be any transactions going on with that account while I'm gone.)

At the end of the cruise, I never have to go to the purser's desk to 'settle up'....it's all taken care of on the Visa card.

I take cash to use on the islands, and for any extra tips on the ship (like room service). I used to take traveler's checks, too, but they're so much a hassle I don't anymore. However, if you choose to do so, the purser's office will cash them for you.

Be sure you contact your bank to let them know you will be going on a cruise as the entire bill will be charged to your account and will exceed your daily limit that is put on the account to prevent fraud. They will know the charge is coming and will let it go thru.:)

I've never contacted my bank about anything like that. Never thought about it. Maybe I don't have a daily withdrawal limit? (Not being sassy here....I just never thought about the bank not allowing access to my funds.) :confused:

I've never contacted my bank about anything like that. Never thought about it. Maybe I don't have a daily withdrawal limit? (Not being sassy here....I just never thought about the bank not allowing access to my funds.) :confused:

Most banks have a pre-set daily withdrawl limit of $500 or $1,000. Perhaps you did not spend that much money.

When I booked my cruise, I used my debit card. One charge of $1000 went through one day and for the rest of the day my card was denied. The balance went through the next day. I called my bank (state employees credit union) and they said that I have a $1000 per day limit. I asked them about when I go on my cruise and they said I could call to have the limit lifted but I could only call the day I wanted it lifted and it would only remain lifted for that day.

So depending on how big of a hold they put on your card, it may be difficult to (for example) use that same card in port that day.

Contact your bank before leaving!

Archived