Security While Boarding

lizpdfb

When embarking, I know they put your bags through an X-Ray machine looking for weapons, alcohol, etc. Do passengers also go through metal detectors or X-Ray machines? No, I am not trying to sneak anything on board. I am just wondering if they take the same care with people as they do with bags?

The screening process seems much less strict than at airports but you do go through detectors and could even be patted down in some cases.

You do have to take laptops out, but I've never had to take my shoes off.

Also, I work some on cruises and always have my manuscripts in my carry on. The airport ALWAYS makes me take them our because they say 600 pages of paper obscures everything. In the cruises I have been on, the manuscripts go through in the X ray machine and no one asks me to take them out.

...you can draw your own conclusions from that

The process is similar to what occurs at an airport but considering that you have access to your luggage on board and not so on an aircraft the restrictions on liquids aren't as strict.

However, there are a number of prohibited items including scissors in excess of four inches long, etc.

Here's the entire list:

Weapons, firearms, contraband, ammunition, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous items are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. Carnival reserves the right to confiscate, destroy and/or turn over to authorities these or any other items it deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety or comfort of any person or which are otherwise improperly in the possession of any Guest. Each Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented as baggage. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f). All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

http://secure.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

:)

You do go through metal detectors and I did have to take my shoes off once, put them on the conveyor belt and step back through the detector. It seemed every time I wear a J.C.Penney's brand (9-5) they set off the metal detectors. The workers in Galveston told me it's because those shoes have metal rods in the heels. But no big deal, its all part of cruising.

My DH has a pacemaker/defibulator and cannot go through the metal detector - they have to use a wand or pat him down each time and he just hates it :rolleyes:, I love to watch his face while they are wanding him (as I call it)

Archived